WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

War artist killed at Gingindlovu

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave

PostSubject: War artist killed at Gingindlovu   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm

As you know I’m interested in the war correspondents involved in the Zulu War.

Doe’s anyone know the name of the war artist who was killed at Gingindlovu and for whom he worked.

Dave
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: War artist killed at Gingindlovu   Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Dave

I am unable to find any War correspondents that were killed at Gingindlovu scratch
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: War artist killed at Gingindlovu   Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Dave. What information did you obtain, for you to ask this question?
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
90th

PostSubject: war artist at gingindlovu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:42 am

hi all.
The only thing I remember reading about this was that one of the artists or reporters had a sense of
their own demise in a dream before the relief column took off , and decided to send one of his assistants ( jnr)
who was keen to go , and he was the one who was killed at Gingindlovu. Cant remember where , but
I certainly read it. I"m sure they mention his name but for the life of me no idea which book it is in.
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: War artist killed at Gingindlovu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:36 am

90th you are correct.

"I am now going to mention a subject of which I am not particularly proud. I had been through several campaigns, some of them very disagreeable ones. I had run many risks and fear had never entered into my mind, but unfortunately, on my journey out on this occasion, I had a bad dream. I call it a dream, but I think it must have been a nightmare. It took place after I had arrived at Durban.

Now this nightmare had such an effect on me that I have never forgotten it. I dreamed that I went with the relieving force to rescue Colonel Pearson at Etchowe. I saw myself shot, and I saw myself buried.

Strange to say, by the next mail arriving from England I received a letter from my mother, in which she told me she had had a dream that I had gone with the relieving column to Etchowe, that I had been killed, and that she had seen my funeral, and she wound up by begging me most earnestly not to go with that column, and it is now that I am ashamed to own that this had such an effect on me that I made up my mind I would not go, and even wrote to Mr. William Ingram at my office to inform him of my determination. Some weeks later I received a cablegram from him : " Sorry you did not accompany force, no doubt saved for better things to come."

However, I did not wish the Illustrated to be unrepresented in this expedition, and I succeeded in enlisting the services of Colonel Crealock, the Chief of the Staff, and also engaged the services of a private individual named Porter.

Now comes the curious incident of this act of mine. When the fighting did take place, at Ginghilovo, on the road to Etchowe, my specially appointed artist was one of the first killed."

Source: Campaigns of a war correspondent: MELTON PRIOR
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: war artist at gingindlovu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:22 am

hi littlehand.
I thought it may have been Prior but wasnt sure , I quickly went through the war correspondents book
but didnt find it. 😕 .
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: War artist killed at Gingindlovu   

Back to top Go down

War artist killed at Gingindlovu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: