Lieutenant John Chard:What's our strength? Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead Seven officers including surgeon commissaries and so on Adendorff now I suppose wounded and sick 36 fit for duty 97 and about 40 native levies Not much of an army for you.
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Rare Publication
Today at 7:05 pm by Daryl81

» New Member Introduction
Today at 6:08 pm by barry

» Lt Chard and his sighting of Zulu enemy at Isandlwana
Today at 5:51 pm by Shelldon

» RA 5th Brigade rifle?
Today at 1:22 pm by John Young

» A heads- up on the weather for visitors to Zululand
Today at 10:03 am by Paul Lamberth

» Studies in the Zulu War 1879 Volume V
Today at 8:21 am by Julian Whybra

» Daily Mail today
Today at 8:11 am by SRB1965

» 90th Foot. Did it go to the 1879 war from India or from England?
Yesterday at 9:17 pm by Victor

» Manual of Field Artillery Exercises 1877
Yesterday at 11:50 am by Frank Allewell

» Durnford at Isandlwana
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:52 pm by SRB1965

» Lieutenant Crawford Caffin, 1872
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm by 1879graves

» Durnfords arrival at iSandlwana
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 am by rusteze

» George Middleton
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 pm by 1879graves

» Sir Thomas Keir Murray
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm by 1879graves

» Last man alive
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 pm by ymob

Captain David Moriarity, 80th, KIA Ntombe
This photograph taken when he was in the 7th Regiment prior to his transfer to the 80th. [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
The Battle of Isandlwana: One of The Worst Defeats of The British Empire - Military History

Display results as :
Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Frank Allewell
Mr M. Cooper
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
John Young
Frank Allewell
Julian Whybra
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

 Major Marter Capture of the King.

Go down 


Posts : 7063
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm

When stationed at Aldershot, the regt. received, on the 12th Feb. 1879, a sudden order for service in South Africa. With the least practicable delay it was made up to war strength by volunteers from other corps, horses also being transferred; and on the 27th Feb. the left wing embarked at Southampton, under the command of Major Marter, in the hired transportation;_ the right wing, with HQ, following next day, under Col. Alexander, in the Egypt._ Both ships reached Durban on the 18th April, and each wing disembarked in order of arrival. The regt. marched to Pietermaritzburg by wings, the left arriving on the 18th and the HQ on the following day. The regt. thus united left Pietermaritzburg on the 28th April, and proceeded to Dundee, where it was shortly afterwards joined by the 17th Lancers. On the 19th May both regts. - the brigade being under Gen. Marshall -marched Rorke’s Drift, bivouacking en route, and near the drift. Before daylight on the 21st the brigade crossed the Buffalo River, and advanced with such speed as due precaution would allow to the battle-ground of Isandlwana. Many bodies were recognized and buried, and thirtynine waggons and a rocket-cart were brought away, every available horse of the transport service having been taken for the purpose. The regt., after a day’s rest, set out for Landman’s Drift, and then proceeded to Koppie Allein, on the Blood River, where it arrived on the 26th May.

On the 27th two squadrons under Major Marter made a len gthened reconnaissance into Zululand, in order that the line of advance for the 2nd Div, then assembling at Koppie Allein, might be determined. On the 1st June about 174 of all ranks, under Major Marter, marched into Zululand with the 2nd Div. forming two strong field squad rons in single rank. The HQ and four troops marched to Conference Hill, there to be stationed, and two troops, under Capt. Willan, set out for Rorke’s Drift, to support that post. The detachment under Major Marter formed p art of the cavalry force which went out of the camp at Itelezi Hill, under Gen. Marshall, on the 2nd June, to search for the Prince Imperial’s body, one troop, with a troop of the 17th Lancers,forming the escort on the way in.

On the 6th June Majo r Marter’s two squadrons took part in the recon naissance made b y Gen. Marshall in the neighbourhood of the Upoko River. Some of Col. Buller’s men from Wood’s column joined the force en route.The Zulus were found strongly posted in a wood at eZungeni, which was intersected with dongas, and in front of which was a line of four kraals. Buller’s men managed to fire the kraals, but a heavy fusillade was poured upon them from the wood, and several of their horses were killed and their men wounded, they retired. Col. Lowe then took the 17th Lancers to within 150 yards of the wood, and, dismounting some men, opened fire. Seeing this, and fearing the Zulus might rush out upon the horses, the K.D.Gs. formed up on the flank and right rear of the 17th; the Zulus, however, remained completely concealed in the wood. After a time the troops retired by Gen. Marshall’s order, the enemy following in skirmishing order and round by their dongas on either flank. The Dragoons had barely crossed the Upoko, in which were quicksands, when a brisk fire was opened upon them fro m the further bank.

On the 8th June Major Marter’s detachment took part in a reconnaissance in force round the hills where the cavalry affair had taken place on the 6th. So me h und reds of Zulus were seen, and ab out twelve kraals were shelled and burnt. The d etachment left the 2nd Div.

On the 17th June, being ordered to proceed to Fort Newdigate in order to reconnoitre the country towards Ulundi by the Nhlazatshe Mountain, and assist in escorting convoys towards the front. Major Marter took command of the fort, the garrison consisting of (besides the Dragoons) two compaines. 21st Fusiliers, one company. Bengough’s Native Contingent, two Gatling guns with detachment R.A., and sixty mounted natives.

On the 21 st Col. Davies, Grenadier Guards, arrived and assumed command as senior officer. From date of reaching Fort Newdigate (17th June) until 26th July the detachment was emp loyed almost without intermission in reconnoitring distant parts of the country, being generally in the saddle from before daylight till after dark. In these raids some scores of native villages were destroyed. From the same date all stores for the front were escorted up by the detachment alone as far as Fort Newdigate or Fort Marshall, for which purpose it had very frequently to proceed to Koppie Allein (twenty-five miles distant), bivouac, and return with its charge next day. Whilst the detach ment was at Fort Newdigate, Major Marter and three of his men, at the suggestion of Col. Davies, built a monument over the spot on which the Prince Imperial’s body was found.

On the 26th July Sir Garnet Wo lseley hav ing broken up the previo usly existing constitution of the forces, and reorganized them in columns, with one of which (Clarke’s) he intended to proceed to Ulundi, the detachment took part in the advance as the cavalry portion of an escort to about 150 ox-waggons laden with stores for the front.

On the 7th Aug. the detachment marched to Mthonjaneni, twelve miles distant from Ulund i. In the night occurred a fearful storm of wind and rain, which began before the tents were well fixed at dusk, and continued till about 11a.m. next day. At its termination 360 transport bullocks lay d ead in the camp, about ninety more being afterwards fo und in the bushes around.

On the 9th Aug. one troop (Capt. Gibbings’) was detailed, with the Mounted Infantry and natives o f Clarke’s column under Major Barrow, to make a recon naissance of the Ulundi plain. On the 13th the detachmen t marched to Ulundi, and joined Sir Garnet Wolseley’s camp. On the 14th it marched out from Ulundi at 7.30 a.m. under the following verbal ordrs, viz.: 1st. To endeavour to trace out the reputed old waggon-road from Ulundi to Conference Hill, and report as to its practicability for wheeled transport; 2nd.
To find and communicate with Baker Russell’s co lumn, supposed to be near the Intabinkulu Mountains, about fifty miles off; 3rd. To return by another route past the Ishalo Mountain, taking notes o f the ground, and reporting as to whether it would be practicab le in case of the King being captured to march the army out o f the country by that line. These orders were completely carried out; the report furnished was accepted by Sir Garnet as satisfactory, and the army was eventually marched out of the country by the route indicated. On the 18th Au g. Major Marter marched with a squadron K.D.Gs. under orders to establish a chain of outposts to St. Paul’s (forty miles distant), and to keep up the communication throughout the line by patrolling day and night, in order to prevent the King from breaking across. The detachment then proceeded by a forced march to Fort Victoria, and subsequently joined Clarke’s column. On 27th Aug. the expedition was commenced which resulted in the capture of the King.

Extracts from Mackinnon & Shadbolt's South Africa Campaign of 1879
Back to top Go down


Posts : 1843
Join date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Just an observation. Why was Major Marter selected to capture the King? They had men in South Africa already but instead they waited for two men to arrive one from the England and one from Egypt. Can't see the point unless these two men had some kind of specialist training.
Back to top Go down


Posts : 7063
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Guarding the King Ndaza Kraal August 29th
Back to top Go down


Posts : 2784
Join date : 2009-03-03
Location : Devon

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi All

Extracts from Major Marter's Dairy

11th February 1879
An unexpected order was received for the regiment to go to South Africa for the Zulu War

26th February 1879
Marter marched in command of the Left Wing, consisting of 311 men, 15 officers, with 240 Troop and 28 Officers horses, snow was on the ground and falling. All entrained at Farnborough, and embarked the same day at Southampton in S S ‘Spain’ and sailed but on account of the fog did not leave Southampton water until March 1st.

8th March 1879

Reached St Vincent. There were in the harbour the ‘England’ with the right wing of the 17th Lancers, the ‘France’ with the left wing, the ‘China’ with the 94th Regiment, the ‘Russia with the 58th Regiment, the ‘Palmyra with the Royal Engineers, and the ‘Egypt with the right wing of the KDG arrived a few hours later. All ships were waiting for coal. The Consul being the contractor there was no one the pressure on, and the means employed were quite inadequate. The ‘Spain and ‘Egypt were detained until the 16th March, and then sailed for Table Bay. In Cape Town (where he had been with the regiment in 1857) Marter bought a good colonial horse as an addition to the three English ones he had brought with him. The regiment proceeded to Durban and disembarked. On account of the disaster at Isandhlwana, the colonists were found to be in a great state of abject panic. Although months had passed no attempt had been made to visit the field to bury the dead. The idea was that the Zulus were in force in the neighbourhood but nothing certain was known. The colonists admired the fine English horses, but said they would never get over the country, only Colonials could do that, the result being that before the war was over, English Dragoons and horses went where the Colonials had feared to go.

20th May 1879
After a delay of several days in camp in tall grass near Durban, during which men and horses were tormented by ticks, Marter marched his wing independently to Pietermaritzberg, where the two wings were joined. After marching on to Dundee, General Marshall, commanding the Cavalry Brigade, decided on making a reconnaissance over the Isandhlwana battlefield, and breaking the spell that seemed to hang over it. This was well planned and carried out, a forced march was made, the King’s Dragoon Guards and the 17th Lancers arriving at Rorke’s Drift after dark and bivouacking. Before daylight next morning they forded Buffalo River and made their way along a track between hills covered with scrub jungle, in which it was very difficult to keep a look out. As daylight broke the wagons of the ill-fated force could be clearly seen in the distance against the sky. They were ranged across the Isandhlwana neck, having a weird appearance, for it was well known that some 1200 Englishmen lay dead about them. On arrival there was the camp, the oxen inspanned in the wagons, the horse at their picket posts, the officers mess and their baggage, the Quartermasters Stores and supplies, and officers and men lying about in their uniforms-dead-but singularly lifelike, as from the state of the climate the bodies had only dried. Many were recognisable, they had not been mutilated. Birds and beasts seem not to have molested them, and the Zulus had removed nothing but arms and ammunition, and part of the canvas of the tents. With such light tools as they had the Cavalry Brigade buried some of the bodies, Colonel Durnford among them, and having brought every spare horse and tackle, dragged about 40 wagons back to Rorke’s Drift It was now decided that the King’s Dragoon Guards should remain on the frontier, whilst the 17th Lancers accompany the column advancing into Zululand. In vain did General Marshall remonstrate, but he was not on good terms with Lord Chelmsford and his argument were disregarded. In vain did Marter endeavour to persuade his colonel to make a stand against the heart of the regiment being thus broken. At length almost beside himself he went to Lord Chelmsford’s tent, and not withstanding repeated rebuffs, did not leave until he had brought him reluctantly to agree the he with one Squadron should accompany the column.

1st June 1879
With the Colonels permission he picked Officers, Men and horses, about 186 of all ranks and on the 1st June in high spirits crossed the Blood River with the column into Zululand. That day the Prince Imperial was killed, and early next morning Marter and his squadron with some 17th Lancers was sent out to find the body

6th June 1879
Two Squadrons of the 17th Lancers along with my two marched at 4:30am for the Upoka River, Buller’s Horse accompanying. The enemy were strongly posted in a wood intersected with dongas behind four kraals. Buller’s men managed to set fire to the kraals, but having had several horse shot, and men wounded from the fire of natives concealed in the wood found it necessary to retire. Colonel Lowe then, against General Marshall’s orders advanced with the 17th Lancers to within 150yds of the woods, and dismounted some men. I supported him placing a Squadron in echelon on either flank, and we were potted at for about twenty minutes. Frith, the Adjutant of the 17th was shot dead, and Martini Henry bullets flew high, and others were more dangerous.

16th June 1879
I was ordered on the 16th June with my Squadron to Fort Newdigate, a fort which had been formed a few miles back, and the command was given to me with an engagement that no one senior to me would be sent there. I still longed for the front and begged and begged to go on

17th June 1879
The 17th was a most wearisome day, and I tried to the last to get off going back to Fort Newdigate, trudging backwards and forwards form one staff officer to another. We marched at 3:30 and took up my new command. The garrison was two companies of the 21st Fusiliers, my Sqn, two Gatlin guns, a company of Bengough’s Contingent, and four mounted Kaffir’s and Basutos. The fact is that Lord Chelmsford and General Marshall did not agree. The former therefore decided to break up the Cavalry Brigade, and General Marshall was relegated to the lines of communication. Marter escorted him back to the Frontier, about 25 miles, bivouacked, and returned to Fort Newdigate. His duties from the fort were to meet and pass all convoys between the frontier and the next fort, a stage further on towards Ulundi., and on intervening days to raid as far as possible, more especially on the left rear of Lord Chelmsford Column, burning kraals and devastating the country, so as to clear the Zulus out. The duties were heavy. The Zulus had burnt most of the grass, there was hardly enough for the horses, and corn was unduly restricted by Chelmsford’s orders. Many of the horses died of sheer inefficiency of food under harsh work conditions. When at Fort Newdigate Marter and two of his men built a memorial tomb on the spot where the Prince Imperial was killed, bring white stones 7 miles on an ox cart for the purpose. Marter made a sketch of this which he sent to the Empress Eugenie. When the Queen sent out a cross she desired that the work of her soldiers should not be disturbed, but the cross should be placed at the head. Whilst bring forward a convoy Marter heard that the Battle of Ulundi had been fought, and thus to his bitter grief he and his men were out of the longed for fight. Danger they had plenty of it bringing up heavy convoys with a handful of Dragoons, and it was harder work that any of the other troops in Zululand, the Infantry in Fort Newdigate were not allowed to be taken out on escort duty. When the war was over some of the Zulu warriors on being asked why they never attacked the slenderly guarded convoys said the scouting was so good that they could never get near enough to see what troops was guarding them. Before leaving England Marter had put his Troops through a special course of instruction in scouting, and they never failed him in the field, no matter how broken the ground may be. General Marshall said that he had never seen such scouting, and specially reported that effect to H. R. H. The Commander-in-Chief.

28th July 1879
Sir Garnet Wolseley, having taken command the forces were reorganised. Marter and his men, with the 58th, two Companies of the 24th, two Gatling guns and about 150 ox wagons, commenced marching for Ulundi

7th August 1879
As they settled into camp a terrific storm of wind and rain came on, sweeping away the tents, and rendering shelter and cooking impossible. Marter and the others lay on the ground in the open with water freely circulating between their skin and their clothes. The deluge continued with unabated fury throughout the night, and it was not until 11am the next morning that they could see around them, and then what a sight presented itself. 236 of their transport bullocks lay dead, many others had broken away and were found dead in the bush afterwards. The force could not advance for lack of transport animals, the troops were formed into burial parties, so that this, the only road of approach on the capital, should not become pestilential.

13th August 1879
Marter and his men encamped with the Headquarters camp in Ulundi. The main Zulu army had been beaten by the forces under Lord Chelmsford, but had not been followed up, the British Troops retiring immediately after the battle, as if they had met with a reverse. It was not therefore known whether the Zulus had reunited to any extent, and all events peace could not be made, or any arrangement for settling the country effected until the King either surrendered or was captured. Surrender he evidently did not mean to, and the scouts who best knew the country could obtain no real clue as to his whereabouts. As Marter was senior to all Officers of Cavalry and Mounted Infantry with the Division, and searching for the King was entirely a business for mounted men, he urged his claim to be sent in pursuit, but was put off by a variety of excuses-his horses too valuable-his men too heavy-ect ect. Party after party of Mounted Infantry and Colonial Horse was organised and dispatched under command of one or other of Sir Garnett’s staff. The capture of the King being the ‘’PLUM’’ yet to be gathered in the war, such credit as was to be gained thereby was to be reserved, not for the Regimental Soldier who had borne the toil and hardships of the campaign with little chance of distinction, but for members of that illustrious body, the ‘’Mutual Admiration Society’’ recently arrived from England. Party after party returned however only to tell of the difficulties of the country, the impenetrable thorn jungles, the loss of horses, and that as the transport available could not follow, and there were no supplies to be had of any kind, it was impossible to keep men out when such rations as each man could carry had been exhausted. The only party which remained out (to his credit be spoken) was that under Lord Gifford. That officer was very sanguine, often sending in news that he was on the point of effecting the capture, and as often finding that he had been mislead by emissaries of the King, who cleverly pretended to assist him, whilst putting him off the track. Marter continued to urge his claim, so to get him out of the way he was sent on a useless errand over a very rough country to communicate with a flying column under Lt Colonel Baker Russell, who’s general whereabouts was quite well known. He had also attempted to capture the King, and having killed some of his horses declared the country impracticable. Again Marter was sent to establish a line of outposts along a chain of grassy hills in another direction, that least likely to be taken by the King.

15th August 1879
11th August marched from Ulundi 7:30am-thick fog-settled down for the night about three hours march beyond Inhlazatye-a very rough place. Marched at 6:60am and reached Bakers Column-Fort George at 12:30-men and horse dined and we marched for 2 hours on our homeward way towards Ingoby’s Kraal-Total distance to Fort George by ‘’supposed’’ wagon road and direct from Inhlazatye 45 miles

16th August 1879
Marched at 6:15 am and reached Ulundi at 9:20pm via Ishalo-about 35 miles in the day. Parts of this track were every bad, but on the whole better that the other. Total distance from Fort George to Ulundi 50 miles.

17th August 1879
17 August In camp wrote a long report and prepared for a fresh start the next day

18th August 1879
Marched from Ulundi at 6:30am to place a line of outposts from Fort Victoria to St Paul’s. I took a Squadron of KDG and one Company of the Native Contingent from Ulundi, and one from Fort Victoria, picking up Captain Whalley’s Troop and some more Native Contingent at Kwamagasa crossroads, where we arrived long after dark-wet through-thick fog and mule transport broken down in the rear-a very miserable night

19th August 1879
Rode nearly to Fort Albert in the morning and then to St Paul’s, and back with Captain Whalley-Total 46 miles completed-disposition of outposts-begging a Company of the 90th to complete. On arrival at bivouac late at night, I found I had been ‘’given up’’ and another officer who had no work had eaten my ration.

20th August 1879
Rode to Fort Albert in the morning about rations ect, and met Robertson the Missionary. The church and house near it were destroyed by the Zulus, he said the church had held 200, and that it was always full. He had sent some of his flock to Natal for safety. Rode about 12 miles along the outpost in the evening

21st August 1879
At Kwamagusa crossroads all day. Just as it was getting dark, and I was thinking of having my supper and going to bed, an order came for me to roll up all the parties fo my men and Native contingent, and, marching through the night , bring them to Fort Victoria early in the morning in readiness to go on to Ulundi if required. Marched at 9:15pm

22nd August 1879
Arrived at Fort Victoria at 4:30am and fed the horses. Two hours sleep on the ground in Stubbs tent, whilst having my breakfast had the order for Ulundi. Marched there accordingly-35 miles from Kwamagusa crossroads. Sir Garnet had been at Ulundi for a fortnight, and the probability of capturing the King seemed as remote as ever. He became anxious, for the clouds gathered day by day, and he was told that if the rainy season set in he would have difficulty in leaving the country by the route he desired to do so. A report came in that the King had gone to the Ngombe Forest, and the Colonists who best knew the country said that if he had gone to Ngombe, the chase might be given up as they could not follow him there.

23rd August 1879
Marter was sent with his Squadron to join Colonel Clarke, who was in command of the 3/60th Rifles, some mounted Infantry and Native Contingent, and was in bivouac on the Black Umvolosi River, 25 miles north east of Ulundi. The next three days were spent in marching into Nsibabu’s country, and bringing in that chief

27th August 1879
Early in the morning of the 27th Marter was sent forward through the thorn bush for the purpose of testing the report that the King had gone to the Ngombe forest, and ascertain if the country was practicable for troops. The events of the next few days have been written by command of the Queen, it is necessary to recount them here. (See also printed pamphlet ‘’Capture of Cetewayo, King of the Zulus’’, Available from QDG on-line shop) With reference to the account it may be stated that as Lord Gifford, by his own shewing, had not been nearer to the Kraal in which the King was taken, to say the least of it, 11 miles, he could not have been watching it as he said, and at such a distance, in a very difficult country he might, in view of immediate capture, nearly as well as been in Ulundi. Cetewayo himself disposed of the question of any advance from the open side. On arrival of the King at Ulundi, it was found that Lord Gifford had generally stated in camp that Marter had obtained the information, which enabled him to take the King from the note alluded to in the account-had in fact taken him out of his almost closed hand. On this Marter went to Maurice and found he had not received the note. Then, taking with him one of his officers, who had heard it read, found Lord Gifford and told him plainly he had no right to make the statements he had made, as in his note he had given no clue whatsoever to the King’s whereabouts, to which the whole of his (Marter’s Officers) could testify. Gifford said ‘I thought I had’. Marter replied, ‘’if only you thought you had, you should not have made positive statements calculated to damage another officer, but in order to clear the matter up, I will send out scouts to find the man entrusted, who may still have it’’. Gifford replied ‘’You need not do that’’. But on Marter’s expressing his determination to do so , added after some hesitation, ‘’The note was brought back to me’’. Marter said ‘’then produce it to see which one of us is in the right’’. Gifford replied ‘’I destroyed it’’. On hearing this Marter said, ‘’As you have destroyed the note, and endeavoured to make capital out of it, I have only to say Good Morning my Lord, and he turned his back on him. Never the less Gifford was one of the ‘’Society’’, Sir Garnet inclined to his statements, selected him to carry the despatches to England, that he might receive the £300 customarily paid for the duty, and so worded his despatch as to convey the idea that Gifford had almost affected the capture. Later on he was told the truth by a young officer who had been with Gifford’s party, but he never amended the despatch or evinced ant friendship towards Marter. He rejoiced that the King was captured, but wrong had done the business. Extract from the Army & Navy Gazette of the 6th September 1879; ‘’1st Dragoon Guards’’ The most satisfactory accounts reach us from Natal as to the general behaviour of the regiment and its efficiency. Our correspondent says, ‘’Notwithstanding the serious disappointment suffered by the officers and men at finding themselves deprived of the honour of marching on Ulundi, all ranks have worked in a spirit which does them no little credit to maintain the character of an old and most distinguished regiment, and General Marshall’s eulogiums passed upon them have been fully well deserved. Though some have never tired of maligning this regiment, it had since its arrival in Natal shown that it is not behind-hand when work is to be done; and Colonel Alexander may well feel proud of his command’’. From a telegram dated Durban, August 19th, we learn that ‘’A Squadron of the Dragoon Guards, under Major Marter, has been brought up from Fort Victoria,

3rd September 1879
Army Headquarters, Camp Ulundi, Zululand ‘’Sir I have the honour to report that after a well sustained pursuit through most difficult country, extending over 16 days, Ketchwayo, the ex-King of Zululand, was captured on the 20th ultimo by a patrol under command of Major Marter, King’s Dragoon Guards, to whom every praise is due for the skilful manner in which the capture was effected. Ketrchwayo is now on his way to Capetown, accompanied by some of his wives and servants. He will be detained as a state prisoner at large in the Cape Colony, under the authority of an Act to be passed for that purpose by the Cape Parliament. Marter marched with his and other troops, Sir Garnet and his staff, via Conference Hill for Utrecht in the Transvaal, which was reached in nine days. There he found Colonel Alexander and Regimental Headquarters which he joined. For several days dreadful weather was experienced, dust storms, thunder and lightening, rain, tremendous wind, carrying away many tents, the mess tent included.

21st September 1879
Marter was sent across the hills to Wesselstroom (about 40 miles) to see if there was camping ground for the regiment, and grazing for the horses in that district. Including half an hour’s halt the ride took 10 hours, as there was thick fog and rain nearly the whole way, and often much uncertainty as to which track to follow. When about half way on the journey Marter and his two orderlies came to a Boer farm, and asked for a drink of water, it was refused. On arrival after dark he found that his tent and kit, sent on in a mule cart by road had not arrived. ‘’Slept as best I could, in a tent with Laurell, Byng and Willett who lent m cloaks-cold enough’’ The three officers had come out with a draft from England, and marched straight to Wesselstroom.
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves


Posts : 748
Join date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 pm

1879Graves, Good post. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Major killed shortly after the Kings capture.
Back to top Go down


Posts : 2784
Join date : 2009-03-03
Location : Devon

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Mr Greaves

Richard James Combe Marter was born on 27th March 1833 and joined the 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards on 18th January 1851 as a Cornet. His subsequent ranks were :
Lieutenant - 29th April 1853
Captain - 9th December 1862
Major - 7th March 1877
He served in the Zulu War from 9th April 1879 commanding a detached squadron of his regiment in the field from 1st June until the conclusion of the campaign, including the cavalry affair at eZungeni Hill (‘Erzurngayan’) on 5th June. He captured Cetshwayo in the Ngome forest and brought him to Ulundi with his KDG squadron, a company of the Natal Native Contingent and an officer and ten men of irregular mounted troops. Marter was mentioned in despatches in the London Gazette on 10th October 1879: “in recognition of the service performed by him in having effected the capture of Ketchwayo (sic), the Zulu king in the Ngome (‘Ngomo’) forest.” He was promoted Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel.
Subsequent promotion and service:
Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel - 15th October 1879
Lieutenant-Colonel in 1 KDG - 1st July 1881
Brevet Colonel - 15th January 1881
On half-pay - 10th April 1884
Staff Appointments:
Acting Judge Advocate General, Madras - 11th July 1859 to 27th July 1860 and 20th August 1860 to 15th January 1861
Assistant Adjutant General, Madras - 11th February 1864 to 17th February 1866
ADC to GOC Western District - 13th April 1866 to 31st December 1868
Acting Brigade Major, cavalry, Curragh - 15th May 1871 to 13th November 1871
DAA & QMG, HQ Ireland - 17th April 1871 - 13th November 1871
DAA & QMG, Aldershot - 20th May 1875 to 4th April 1877
ADC to the Queen - 15th January 1881
Brigadier-General, Bengal - 10th April 1884 (on half-pay)
On the Staff - 26th March 1888
Retired pay - 27th March 1888
Hon. Major-General - 24th November 1888
Rewarded for distinguished and meritorious service - 1st February 1889
He died in 1902

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Epping Upland Parish Church, Essex, England.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major Marter Capture of the King.   

Back to top Go down
Major Marter Capture of the King.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jump to: