WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyYesterday at 6:13 am by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Bar_leftLord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade BarLord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Bar_right 
John Young
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Bar_leftLord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade BarLord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Kenny
Dash
SRB1965
cmeghen
1879graves
New topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am by lydenburg

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Empty
PostSubject: Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade   Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:06 pm

21, St. James Square, Bath,
September 15, 1879

Sir,
I have the honour to request that a copy of my report on the officers of the Naval Brigade, who afforded me such able assistance during the time that I was commanding Her Majesty's Forces in South Africa, may be forwarded for the information of the Admiralty. I feel under such, obligations to the sister service for the cordial co-operation and valuable assistance which it afforded me on all occasions, whether on sea or on shore, that it is a matter to me of sincere regret that I was not able before leaving South Africa to place publicly on record, through the medium of a General Order, my hearty appreciation of those services.

It is impossible for me to speak too highly of the conduct and behaviour of the blue jackets and marines; whether in camp or under fire. Every duty which devolved upon them, no matter how long or how hard, was cheerfully and intelligently performed; and I have no hesitation in placing, on record; that without their help it would have been almost impossible to have made, satisfactory arrangements for the passage oftroops and stores at the Lower Tugela.

The officers, as usual, set a fine example; and never spared themselves when work had to be done.

To Admiral F. W. Sullivan, C.B., C.M.G., and to Commodore F. W. Richards, I am deeply indebted for the ready help and friendly assistance they at. all times afforded me.

Both these officers did their utmost to facilitate the work of the military authorities at the base of operations; and their advice and suggestions were often of the greatest value.

It is with pride and satisfaction I am able to report that during the whole time that I was commanding Her Majesty's Forces in South Africa, the Navy and Army worked together with the most perfect unanimity, and that the relations between the two services were always of the most friendly nature.

I have, &c.,
CHELMSFORD; Maj.-Gen,
Late Commanding; Her Majesty's Forces in South Africa..
The Military Secretary;
Horse Guards; War- Office.

(From The London Gazette, Noavembr 7, 1879)
Back to top Go down
John

John

Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade   Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Tom. Not the Zulu War, but there is mentioned of some of the ships used in the Zulu War.

SIR,

THE operations against the Ashantees being now ended, it becomes my pleasing duty to bring to the notice of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, the highly satisfactory manner in which the Officers, seamen, and marines of the squadron under my orders have, on all occasions, carried out their duties during the trying time they have been employed on the Gold Coast.

All indeed have realized my highest expectations; and in making special mention of any, who, under my own observation, especially distinguished themselves by their gallantry, zeal, or ability, I am anxious that their Lordships should not under-rate the value I set upon the services of those, who, lacking an opportunity, were not so fortunate as to render themselves conspicuous.

The manner in which Captain W. J. Hunt Grubbe, of Her Majesty's ship "Tamar," performed special duties which devolved upon him, throughout the period he commanded the Naval Brigade, is deserving of my warmest approbation, and I beg to call their Lordships special attention to the fact that, although severely wounded in the left hand at the battle of Amoaful, he would not relinquish his command until the campaign was finished.

The services of the Brigade itself are recorded in the enclosed letter from Captain Hunt Grubbe. Of the Officers specially mentioned therein Lieutenant Gerard H. U. Noel, of Her Majesty's ship "Active" was landed on the 27th November, 1873, in charge of a party of fifty seamen and marines, who previous to the arrival of the European regiments were detailed to act as a guard to Sir Garnet Wolseley, on the occasion of his proceeding to the front to inspect the progress made in the construction of the road to the Prah.

Lieutenant A. B. Crosbie, Royal Marine Light Infantry, and Sub-Lieutenant Gerard R. Maltby, of Her Majesty's ship "Active," and Surgeon Henry T. Cox, of the " Amethyst," also landed with this party, and none of them rejoined their ships till the cessation of hostilities. I regret to say that I have lost the services of Lieutenant Noel as Senior and Gunnery Lieutenant of this ship, he having been invalided for the preservation of his life, through the ill effects of this prolonged stay ashore.

Captain James W. V. Arbuckle, of the Royal Marine Battalion, who was appointed to take command of the Marines attached to the Brigade, having fallen sick, his place was most efficiently filled by Lieutenant Crosbie, who was present with his men in every engagement with the enemy, in one of which he was slightly wounded.

Mr. Maltby, who is temporarily filling the Lieutenant's vacancy caused by the deeply to be regretted death of Captain William Hans Blake,
of the " Druid," (who landed in command of the Brigade), is a young Officer of great promise in the service, and I am pleased at having the opportunity of bringing his name to their Lordship's favourable notice.

The services of Mr. Cox and the other Medical Officers of the Naval Brigade, will be brought to notice in a separate Despatch, in which it is my intention to lay before their Lordships the excellent arrangements of Staff-Surgeon Second Class Henry Fegan, M.D., of this ship (who landed in charge), for the care and comfort of the sick and wounded.The steady behaviour of Lieutenant Robert B. Pipon, of this ship, and his Company when returning from the affair at Bouborassie, on the 31st January, on which occasion the rear guard was greatly harassed, has been specially brought to my notice ; and on another occasion this Officer is mentioned as having, with his Company, rendered the most material aid to Lord Gifford and his scouts at the destruction of Becquah.
I have a high opinion of Lieutenant Pipon's professional ability, and it is with much pleasure that I recommend him to the favourable notice of their Lordships.

Captain Hunt Grubbe informs me that the services of Lieutenant William F. S. Mann, of Her Majesty's ship " Amethyst," who acted as Adjutant to the Brigade, were most valuable. This Officer bears a reputation of being a smart and energetic Officer.

Sub-Lieutenant Wyatt Rawson, of Her Majesty's ship "Active," did very excellent work while attached to the Land Transport Service.

His energy and tact did much to encourage the curriers, and as there was often very great difficulty in procuring people to transport stores and provisions to the front, the value of Mr. Rawson's services cannot be over-rated. There being a vacancy in the "Himalaya" for a Lieutenant, I gave this Officer an acting order to fill it, and he has proceeded to England in that ship. Sub-Lieutenant Rawson was wounded in the thigh by a slug.

I notice with satisfaction that the services of Lieutenant Angus McLeod, of the " Barracouta," and Mr. Charles Gladstone, Midshipman of the " Druid," who acted as Aide-de-Camp to Captain Hunt Grubbe, are favourably recorded.

At the battle of Amoaful the left and right wings of the Brigade were respectively commanded by Commander Percy P. Luxmore (now acting Captain of the " Druid" ), and Lieutenant Gerard H. U. Noel, already referred to, and the manner in which they led their men into action was highly creditable to them. It is now my duty to place upon record the valuable assistance I have received in the conduction of affairs at the hands of Captain George Henry Parkin, of Her Majesty's ship " Victor Emanuel."

During my absence in the front, this Officer carried out the duties of the port most ably and efficiently, and for this, as well as for the activity and zeal he displayed in his superintendence of the re-embarkation of the troops, my thanks are due to him.

The landing of the several regiments was superintended by Commander Herbert F. Crohan, the principal Transport Officer afloat, assisted by Mr. H. H. Hannay, Navigating Lieutenant of the " Active," and the manner in which both these Officers carried out this important service reflects very great credit on them. Their Lordships will easily conceive the heavy and responsible duties which have devolved upon Commander Robert Lowther Byng, of my pendant ship, during these operations, and it is with much satisfaction that I have to record the efficient and thorough manner in which he, at all times, conducted them.

The important service of blockading the windward coast, has, for the most part, been carried out under the direction of Captain Richard Bradshaw, who, in the " Encounter " was some time Senior Officer of a Squadron, specially placed under his orders. Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Day of the "Merlin," was for a long time detached on this service, and in common with the Lieutenants Commanding the other gun vessels similarly employed, showed great vigilance in preventing the landing of munitions of war within the limits of the blockade.

Captain Alfred John Chatfield, in Her Majesty's ship " Amethyst," at all times showed great zeal and activity in carrying out the service he was detailed for. For some time he was employed in guarding our position at Addah-Foah, at the entrance of the River Volta, and had charge of a station extending from Accra to Elmina-Chica. I regret that my multifarious duties gave me no opportunity to make an inspection of the "Amethyst," as, from what I have seen of the ship, I feel convinced my report could not have been other than satisfactory.

I must now bring to the notice of their Lordships the valuable services, of Acting Commander John Hext, who, when Lieutenant in Command of the "Decoy," was constantly employed in active service, which he always conducted with much intelligence and zeal; and I readily endorse the high enconiums which have been passed upon him by the various senior Officers whom he has served under during the many months he has been stationed on the Gold Coast. The appointment this Officer at present holds was given to him as a mark of my appreciation of his good services.

I wish to bring to the favourable notice of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty the services of Mr. Thomas Cowd, Gunner Second Class, of this ship ; this Officer landed at the commencement of the operations, and had charge of the carriers who transported the first supplies of stores and provisions sent to the front.

Fever, brought on by exposure and hard work, obliged Mr. Cowd to return to the coast soon after the Naval Brigade was landed; he soon, however, resumed his ordinary duties on board the ship, and his conduct at all times deserves my praise. I cannot pass by the manner in which Mr. Harry S. F. Niblett, Sub-Lieutenant of this ship, has throughout performed his onerous duties. This young officer has had charge of the steam pinnace during the operations, and I cannot speak too highly of the way in which he executed his orders—I would point out that the services he performed were not merely those ordinarily assigned to an Officer of his standing—and on many occasions he has, attracted my attention by the cheerful, active, creditable way in which ho carried out whatever was required of him.

Their Lordships would observe that good conduct, zeal, and activity has characterised the services of the whole squadron, and in concluding my Despatch I have only to add that the aid rendered by those artificers of the squadron who were landed to construct huts, &c., along the road to the Prah, and who are reported to me for their good services in the enclosed letter from Major Home, R.E. (under whose directions they worked), was most valuable. I have, &c.

(Signed) W. N. W. HEWETT,
Commodore.

Source: Northeastmedals
Back to top Go down

Lord Chelmsford's Comments on the Naval brigade
Page 1 of 1