WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Did Gardner Desert.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
90th

PostSubject: Did Gardner Desert    Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi DB .
I'm not confused :lol: I said Chelmesford never left any written orders . And I have in my latest post actually posted
the Clery letter in which Clery states he himself left the orders . Actually they are not the Alison letters , it was sent to
Colonel Harman . :lol: :lol: It just happens to be in the book ' Zululand at war ' by Sonia Clarke which was produced by the
Brenthurst Press , and also has the Alison Letters in it as well .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm

All

Clery was junior to Pulleine and hardly in a position to Give him an order. Yet its clear that he did. I would therefore assume he gave the orders in Chelmsfords name. Clery freely admitted that he passed orders, in his testimony at the COI.

But its equally clear that orders, written that is, were left. Therefore Staffords testimony can not readily be questioned on the issue of Him having seen the orders being passed between Pulleine/Durnford.

The fact that Stafford has stated the orders were left by Chelmsford could be put down to him either getting it wrong,or Pulleine possibly believing the orders were from Chelmsford, via Clery.

Or am I missing the point?

Tasker

For sure, one has to question statements, but when one is given voluntarily, with no expectations of profit or to avoid any sort of blame, in short with no axe to grind. Then it should be treated with certain respect and given credilbility. I can not see any reason why Stafford should lie. The level of detail in the balance of his statement regarding other issues is pretty remarkable.

With reference to Lock and Quantrills assertions that there is no proof. Cochran has refered to Durnfords comments directed at Pulleine:" You were ordered to draw in etc" Assuming there was no orders, why would there be so many sources refering to them?

Cheers

Cheers

Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Was he not just translating the order as it was put to him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:12 am

Hi all

Anyway with or without new orders, with or without Gardner, the British are strategically rolled by the Zulus, from beginning to end during the campaign of Isandhlwana, thanks to the incompetence of Chelmsford :lol: ...

It seems that the Zulus would triumphing, although Chelmsford had not left the camp ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:28 am

Littlehand
Could have just been an assumption on the part of Stafford or even Pulleine. Fact remains though that theres no way a Lt Col will take an order from a Major so Pulleine would have been assured that the order came from Chelmsford.

Pascal

Incisive.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 am

Yes what I say is incisive, but I'm looking for a solution, nothing could prevent the disaster, once the third column entered the Zululand ....

In fact it would have had a single column, consisting of all troops forming the columns 1, 2, 3 and 4 in early January 1879, then deliver and win a single giant battle , then the road to Ulundi would have been free. ..

Actually leaving the camp Isandhlwana, Chelmsford saved the lives of several hundred men, that is, to all those he brought with him ...

But in this war there, as in many others, make a small detachments is very dangerous game ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Did Gardner desert   Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Pascal.
There was thought when planning the invasion of having a single column but Chelmesford was worried that the zulu army
would bypass the column and have a free reign into Natal crossing wherever they wished . Also it was seen as being to large and to slow to operate at a consistant pace or to be defended properly .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 am

90th
Took the words out of my mouth.
Again Hindsight is a wonderous thing.
Chelmsfords priorities were to defend Natal, defeat the Zulu and not tell the British Government he was doing it.

Besides, it took 10 days to get from Rorkes Drift to iSandlwana with his 4000 men, how long would it have taken with 20 000.
He got it right the second time with the flying column from Dundee.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 am

I think if the Zulu had had knowledge of a unique and huge British column entering their country, they would make a point of honors of attacking this column, before they even think about threatening Natal ...

Then they would have suffered one or two massacres of the kind of Gingindlhovo or Ulundi and the war would have been completed at less cost to the poor guys of the 24 th ...

Any ways even with several British columns entering Zululand, the Zulu could enter easily Natal, given the levity of their army, but not stay there, given their lack of military logistics ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 am

All
Clery issued the orders in the name of Lord Chelmsford to Pulleine (and my word, was Chelmsford glad afterwards!). This is all well-documented and there should really be no argument about it. Stafford did not actually enter Pulleine's tent but remained outside, overhearing the conversation. The only surviving eye-witness to what happened inside the tent was Cochrane and he wrote:

"Colonel Pulleine gave over to Colonel Durnford, a verbal state of the troops in camp at the

time, and stated the orders he had received, viz., to defend the camp; these words were

repeated two or three times in the conversation."

It may be of course that Pulleine was reading from his orders as he repeated them two or three times to Durnford and that Durnford/Shepstone told Stafford afterwards that so-and-so was in Chelmsford's written orders as read to him by Pulleine but Stafford didn't personally see them for himself.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 am

Julian
its a moot point really. Stafford does not specifically say he entered the tent, " Col Durnford and Captain Shepstone entered the tent." He does comment specifically that Pulleine handed him the written instructions. And again: " In looking over the orders, Col Durnford remarked.'you have orders to draw in the camp.'
He also comments on Pulleins reply to that remark.
Its a pretty explicit series of comments.
Cochrans mention that the orders were repeated two or three times does not as you say intimate there were no written orders or indeed that they were shown/given to Durnford.
Considering the circumstances of the day, hot conditions etc I would be suprised if Pulleins tent flaps were closed, even if a conversation was taking place. It would therefore appear that even if Stafford were outside he would have had a view of the interaction.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Springbok
i have no doubt that Stafford overheard the conversation, may even have glimpsed what was going on through the flap, was thoroughly briefed afterwards as to what had transpired, and was telling the truth about the event.
I have no doubt that Clery did write orders for Pulleine as he stated.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Julian
I was really trying to make a point that Lock and Quantrils argument that there was no proof the orders existed was patently incorrect.

regards
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:16 pm

And I totally agree with you.
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm

This is not the first time i have read about L and Q's works being unreliable.
I was quite convinced by the Missing 5 Hours essay. Should I disregard it?

And to get things back on topic, from what I have read on here, I am coming down on Gardner's side. I do not think he deserted, i agree with DB14, that he bravely ran a hazardous errand. I am more convinced that Coghill and Melville deserted - doh - off topic again!
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 pm

L and Q's work on TMFH is an outstnding peice of reashearch.

Cheers

Last edited by Drummer Boy 14 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kendrick Nelson

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Drummer Boy 14
When viewing your posts I find myself looking for your spelling mistakes instead of the post content. Try word spell
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

kendrick Nelson wrote:
Drummer Boy 14
I find myself looking for your spelling mistakes instead of the post content.

Kendrick, im 15 years old and bad at english,i try to make my words readable, to me odd word realy doesn't matter
as long as you can read it.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:31 pm

kendrick. We all make spelling mistakes, but we are not here to pick up on that. As long as we understand what's being said. Salute
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Is this fact or speculation on David Rattay's part

" In an act of insubordination, Captain Gardiner writes a note to Major Clery
(An officer on patrol with Lord Chelmsford) That Stepstone had come in for reinforcements and that the British contingent was too thinly spread out to make an effective defensive stand"
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Its fiction .
Gardiner did add a note to that sent by Pulleine. It read:" Heavy firing near left of camp. Shepstone has come in for reinforcements and reports the Basutos falling back the whole force turned out and firing about 1 mile to left flank. Alan Gardner Captain."

Regards
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Why would David Rattay make it up scratch
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Because he was a story teller, not a historian.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Did Gardener Desert   Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Littlehand.
I dont think its a case of David Rattray '' Making it up '' it's well known David was a '' Story Teller '' and therefore
he used as we say Artistic Licence . Lets just say he didnt let the facts get in the way of a good story , much like the press of today . This is in
no way any criticism of D.Rattray or his work .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:46 pm

littlehand
Purely artistic licence! Just like Spike Milligan!
springbok
Just so the others have it absolutely correct, Gardner's note actually read, "Heavy firing near left of Camp. Shepstone has come in for reinforcements, and reports the Basutos falling back. The whole force at Camp turned out and fighting about one mile to left flank."
Back to top Go down
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is reference to that here on page 7
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Except that Greaves's quotation is wrong. Gardner's message does not read:
"Heavy firing near left of camp. Shepstone has come in for reinforcements and reports that the Basutos (Shepstone‟s men) are falling back. Whole camp turned out and fighting about one mile to left flank."
It does read:
"Heavy firing near left of Camp. Shepstone has come in for reinforcements, and reports the Basutos falling back. The whole force at Camp turned out and fighting about one mile to left flank."
One needs to get these things absolutely right.
Back to top Go down
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Hardly any differents.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm

If one quotes from a document it is important to get it right - especially in the attribution of blame or what another might have read into a message. 'Hardly any difference' is not good enough. Either something is correct or it isn't. In this case it isn't.
Ever heard of the WMD dossier?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Gardner Desert.    

Back to top Go down

Did Gardner Desert.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: