WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Corporal Storey: Oh no! Come all this bloody way to get shot by a bullet from Birmingham? Shoot straight you bastards!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Pte. G. Nutt 1st Btn 13th (Somerset) Light Infantry
Yesterday at 7:39 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. G. Manuel 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment
Yesterday at 7:37 pm by ADMIN

» 1362 Pte Frederick Hitch VC.
Yesterday at 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Rorkes Drift Zulu Indunas
Yesterday at 7:02 pm by SRB1965

» Pte. F. Fitzpatrick 94th Regiment.
Yesterday at 6:36 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. B. Coates 94th Regiment
Yesterday at 6:16 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Tarrant 2nd Btn 3rd (East Kent) Regiment 'The Buffs)
Yesterday at 6:14 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Kingston 2nd Btn 3rd (East Kent) Regiment ('The Buffs'),
Yesterday at 6:11 pm by ADMIN

» 1373 Pte Alfred Henry Hook VC.
Yesterday at 6:09 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Atkins 2nd Btn 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment
Yesterday at 5:59 pm by ADMIN

» Midshipman Cadwallader Coker.
Yesterday at 5:49 pm by ADMIN

» Midshipman H. Radford HMS Active
Yesterday at 5:47 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations 3
Yesterday at 5:31 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations 2
Yesterday at 4:47 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations
Yesterday at 4:10 pm by ADMIN

Commander Crawford Caffin, R.N
H.M.S. Natal, aboard which the prisoner Cetshwayo was transported from Port Natal to Capetown. Caffin had joint charge of the King with Captain Ruscombe Poole, R.A. (Isandula Collection)
BBC Timewatch - Zulu: The True Story
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:53 am

rusteze wrote:
Frank

Reading Macleroy's father's letter that you posted it seems he was quite adamant he did not want his sons remains to be disturbed. Why then did he have him re-interred in Pietermaritzberg?

Steve

Where can i read Macleroy Fathers letter??????  Link please
Thanks

Aussie
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:36 am

Steve
I think JY is more qualified to answer that one. But I would suggest it wasn't a case of having his son disturbed but more retaining the individual grave rather than a mass grave.
Aussie
Go back a few posts its on page 2.
Gary
Just extracting the urine a touch Very Happy
I was lucky when I went of to find the Shepstone grave, I was staring at the ground so bloody hard looking for Adders that I found an MH round. Also two snakes, Ive never ever walked around there in shorts and sandals again, these days boots and Kharkies.
JY
probably as you say, just a bit of affectation. ( I do the same when I tell the grandkids to call me 'oh mighty one') Very Happy Their more likely to tell me to bugger of though.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:39 am

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Frank
No problem mate Very Happy . I can say I've never worn shorts , sandals , or the like whenever I've been actually on the battlefields , strictly boots and Cargo pants ( lots of pockets ! ) . Yes my eyes were looking downward , but I still didn't see the three nesting birds fly off just near my left foot Shocked Shocked , luckily it wasn't an Adder or something else just as nasty Shocked Shocked Shocked . I assume you did the '' right '' thing and left the MH round where you fond it ? Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker
Cheers Mate
90th
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 am

Does anyone know if the Macleroy gravestone has been replaced or repaired ? , if I get the chance in Oct we may go and have a look , does anyone know which cemetery ( In case there are several ) and its location , along with details to find Macleroy ? . ....Tim ??????
90th agree
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 am

90th
Follow littlehand's link to JY's post.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks JW , so if I contact JY he will have the relevant information I may need , is that what you mean ? , there is no mention of directions in JY's post .
Cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:09 am

90th
No. Read my post again. It's Littlehand's post of 8.39 with a link to a post from JY giving the cemetery details.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks JW , all good .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 am

Commercial Road Cemetry = Chief Albert Luthuli Road Cemetry
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks Frank agree
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Been there 90th with Paul Naish
Macleroy grave is on the left hand side as you enter the gate on Commercial Road its about 100 down the path
on the other side of the Road you can see the graves of Bishop Colenso daughters go through the gate its your first or second path on your left about 50 paces you can not miss it and Theopolis Shepestone
go down the entry path there is another path on your right go down 100 meters or so many of his family members are buried beside him mate

good luck mate
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks Aussie , when you going over again ?
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:22 pm

I cam only go after Christmas most likely 2017 I have a list of places for the Major he still needs to find a couple of them for me.

Frank when you go to find Macleroy grave take some 360 degree photos mate and get the GPS cordiants please that will be first on my list his story is quite moving.
Back to top Go down
divyhily

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Hello Frank
Did you make it up to Isandlwana on Sept 10th? Did you find Macleroy's marked grave?
We managed to get to the battlefield on Monday Sept 19th, the day after the first substantial rainfall for 18 months or so. 300 to 400 yards down the Fugitives' Drift we found a small cairn with very little whitewash, but no memorial stone with Macleroy's name on it. Was this the wrong cairn or has Macleroy's named stone been removed?

I had a look at the Aberdeen Evening Express March 15 1879 which quoted from a letter from Muirhead that had appeared in a Natal paper. Andrew Muirhead and George M'Leroy had left the field of battle when "a bullet struck George between the shoulder-blades. He swayed once or twice, and then fell. Andrew stopped, and as a doctor was passing at the time, he asked him to see if George was really dead. They jumped on their horses again, and had gone about 20 yards ------ when they saw a Zulu quivering his assegai for a throw --- Andrew dug the spurs ---the assegai passed him and killed the doctor". If this is the "true story" it implies George was not injured till he had left the battlefield and it also confirms that Peter Shepherd died very close to George Macleroy. What do you think?
Regards
David Shepherd
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi David
I did indeed get to the Fugitives trail. The hottest day of the year so far wasn't the best timing Im afraid.
I think this is the cairn you refer to
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Just passed this one, around 200 metres the fence line on the left takes aa bend, The Macleroy grave in that region, very difficult to locate, I searched for a long time without success. I subsequently discovered it was now surrounded by thorn trees.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Surgeon Maj P Shepherd AMD    Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi All
IK has a photo which he and Paul Castle from memory took back in the 90's , it's basically from memory on a rise , so none of those shown appear to be the one , with the exception of the one JW posted , but you cant see the background , IK is bringing the photo to Sth Africa , hopefully we'll find it , and I'll ask someone to post it for us .
90th Shocked
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:13 am

Hi All
As I pointed out to David, the photos Ive posted are of a 'cairn' on the track that he thought was the Macleroy grave. It isn't, his grave is further down over to the left in a copse of trees. The headstone is still there but virtually invisible. I spent a long time and couldn't locate it, but when I got back to the carpark it was described by one of the FDL guides.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:04 am

Julian
That photo was pirated from this one:
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:32 am

Do you mean that this photo is yours?
Ask Maritzburg College to change the attribution!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:38 am

Most of those photos from the College have been 'apropriated' from this site. Ive spoken to them before about it but they have no sense of morality at all. Reading their site they have no sense of accuracy either. That particular photo actually belongs to another forum member, no longer active.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 am

Tsk! And they're educating children too!
Back to top Go down
divyhily

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Back to top Go down
divyhily

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello Frank
Sorry to hear that you couldn't find Macleroy's marked cairn. The one we found, pic attached, was different from the one you saw. We thought ours looked like the earlier Macleroy one with minimal whitewash, but clearly there are several like this. As you said the field guide knows that Macleroy's marked cairn still exsists higher up and further on the Drift route. At least we have been close to where Peter Shepherd was interred. The whole battlefield scenario was moving, having changed so little since January 1879.

Some of you in the past have known/been in contact with descendants of Peter's brother William Shepherd. Any contact details would be much appreciated.
Regards
David Shepherd
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:03 pm

John Young wrote:

I taken you mean MacLeroy - Mac means Son of.  Leroy might take some translation from Frederic's mother tongue.  The name betrays the family's regal roots.

JY

Bonjour,

Leroy (or Leroi, Le Roi, Rey in the south-west of France...)

1°) A surname must be considered more like a nickname that as a title of nobility. Indeed, the name Leroy means "King", and it is difficult to think that the ancestors of these people were kings, otherwise during popular festivals or in parallel societies (think of the King of the Court of Miracles in Notre - Dame of Paris).

For example in Picardy, during the Middle-Ages there was a game: "The archers gathered at shooting competitions at the bird . The bird (Papegault, papegeay or simply jay) was set up on a pole. The shoot was not easy because we had to do it completely. Breaking a member or head was not enough, we had to take the body away. That's why the game could last several days. One who succeeded was named "king" and was entitled to the first place in the parades for a year. Whoever was "king" two years later became "constable". If he succeeded a third time, he took the title "emperor".
 (JF. Leblond et Y. Brohard, Vie et traditions populaires en Picardie) ».

2°) The name may also refer to someone who operated property belonging to the King, not to the local Lord.

Actually, there are  94 000 Leroy in France .

I.E.: Informations taken from two French genealogy websites.

Regards

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.   

Back to top Go down

Surgeon Major P. Shepherd Army Medical Department.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: THE ONE'S THE HISTORY BOOKS FORGOT-
Jump to: