ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)

Horace Smith-Dorrien It was a marvellous sight, line upon line of men in slightly extended order, one behind the other, firing as they came along, for a few of them had firearms.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Durnford was he capable. 2
Today at 2:50 am by springbok9

» War Film Review
Today at 1:28 am by Mr M. Cooper

» The Anglo Zulu War in Colour.
Yesterday at 11:02 pm by ymob

» Alexander Sinclair a private in the 17th Lancers
Yesterday at 10:59 am by SergioD

» Tpr H Dunn.
Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm by Ulundi

» South Africa (Zulu War) Medal to Royal Navy
Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:39 pm by Ulundi

» Pte John Jones, H Company 1st/24th
Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm by littlehand

» Pte Henry Wareham. 3rd Battalion, 60th Regiment of foot.
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 pm by littlehand

» William Henry Hoskin Allen
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm by littlehand

» PR Cis of Information Concerning the Zulu Country... by War Office Intell DIV
Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:56 pm by John

» Boiling Cauldron - Acclaimed Zulu War History
Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:02 pm by xhosa2000

» ephemera 1899 picture rorke's drift long view
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 pm by Chard1879

» History of the Zulu War and Its Origin;_REPRODUCTION_ by Colenso, Frances E. 184
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 pm by Chard1879

» Surgical Experiences in the Zulu and Transvaal Wars, 1879 and 1881_REPRODUCTION
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:33 pm by Chard1879

» S.A. ZULU WARS MEDAL WITH 1879 CLASP - TO 99th REGT. FOOT
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:27 pm by Chard1879

Lt. (Captain) S.H. Gardner, 88th
Lt. (Captain) S.H. Gardner, 88th [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
Isandlwana should guide us in many battles to come
Our Favourite Web Links
Legacy of the Rorke’s Drift Heroes Kings Own. The Wardrobe. The National Army Museum. The Anglo Zulu War Museum. The Zulu War 1879. Help For The Hero's Zulu War Talks. Soldiers Of The Queen. Zulu War Historical Society. John Dunn Foundation The Martini-Henry Rifle. Ian Knight's Website. Zulu War Author & Historian. All About the Martini Henry. Neil Aspinshaws new website. The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon) The British Empire By Stephen Luscombe.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
August 2014 A tribute to the memory of the 1st Lt
Top posters
90th

littlehand

springbok9

Admin

xhosa2000

tasker224

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

1879graves

John

impi

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
What lead to the Anglo - Zulu War and what was its legacy.
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.
Durnford was he capable.
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Chelmsford, Pulline. & Durnford
Crealock's notebook.
Most Viewed Topics
The ammunition question
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The 1stLt Zulu War
The missing five hours.
Chelmsford, Pulline. & Durnford
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Durnford was he capable. 2
The Battle of Isandlwana
Durnford was he capable.
Share | 

The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi band of Zulus Wink

Please who owns photos or illustrations of the flags of infantry companies of the NNC in January 1879 ?

"Esprit de corps amongst companies was encouraged and many ,particulary in the 3rd NNC ,carried small flags with the battalion number and simple emblems illustrating the nicknames they had chosen,e.g.pigs,young bulls,lions,ect..."

But also

" To facilitate the movements small flags were introduced for each company.The number of the battalion was painted on each,as well as some device.When possible the latter was an image of whateverthe company was named after. A pig , a young bull , and the like . The men were quite pleased with these flags.They were also the source of amusement and many jokes."

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: The Flags Of Infantry Co's Of The NNC.   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Pascal .
I cant remember ever reading of such flags , my guess if they are mentioned anywhere may be in ' Black Soldiers Of The Queen '
by Paul Thompson
cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 am

HI Gary

Yes! What you read is in my previous post with an article from another book, but what I want, it's photos or illustrations ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: The Flags Of Infantry Co's Of The NNC.   Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Pascal .
Never seen one , ever . I doubt there are any photo's in existance . Suspect Suspect Suspect
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

And illustrations ?

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: The Flags Of Infantry Co's Of The NNC.   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Pascal .
I've Never seen any photographs or Illustrations of Flags regarding the NNC Regiments .
cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am

Hi Gary

This must, however well exist since these flags have existed ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Richie

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

90th wrote:
Hi Pascal .
I cant remember ever reading of such flags , my guess if they are mentioned anywhere may be in ' Black Soldiers Of The Queen '
by Paul Thompson
cheers 90th. Salute

Hi 90th,
The reference is at the top of page 10 in Osprey's Zulu War-Volunteers, Irregulars and Auxiliaries. However there are no photo's or illustrations.
I have read somewhere recently about another unit having a strange embroided lions head and a motto I think in latin on a pennant/flag but for the life of me I can't remember which book I was browsing at the time.

Pascal,
You may have to contact the South African Military History Society to see if they can shed any light on your request. If they cannot but have a descriptive text then you will have to use your artistic license.

cheers
Richie Salute
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 am

Hi the Zulus

Richie, I avoid doing things when I have no visual documentation.

The wargames with me ,it's not Hollywood...

Gary descriptions in books of Thompson and Castle ( MAA 388 ), I have copied on this subject, a few days ago ,the Sat Mar 17 ... Exclamation

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Pascal
This is from the Durnford papers recovered from Isandlwana

Each of the 4 parties should be provided with a lantern and flags ao that when they have to fall
back to the outpost they may not be fired on by their own side.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Thank you Young Man

What we need now is illustrations or a descriptive more accurate than the two I posted on 17 ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
kwajimu1879

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Pascal,

Your fellow Frenchman, Adolphe Yvon, included a N.N.C. flag in his panorama of the Battle of Ulundi, which is displayed at the National Army Museum, Chelsea. The painting is reproduced in colour in Peter C. Smith's "Victoria's Victories."

The one he has illustrated, based on eyewitness accounts, looks something like a Confedrate flag of the American Civil War. It is red with a white saltire cross with what appears to be black saltire cross overlaid over that.

I hope that's a start for you?

kwaJimu1879
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:13 am

Hello my friend you live and live this forum !!!

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 am

Are you not the same, Pascal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:27 am

Yes Old Historian I'm the same, Pascal...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 am

Dear Kwajimu

Where is the responsable of the eyewitness accounts,for the flag of the

2nd NNC at Ulundi at Adolphe Yvon for his panorama of this battle ?

Salute

Pascal

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...   Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 am

Hi the natives

In my opinion, their flags in Ulundi are different than they had at Isandhlwana ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down

The flags of infantry companies of the NNC inJanuary 1879 ...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879) :: -