"[i]Binegar is a small village on the Mendips, 600 to 700 feet above sea level. The name of the village is of Saxon origin and was first recorded in 1065 as Beazenhangra, the best translation of which is 'Slope where the beans grow'.
All that remains of the 14th century Holy Trinity church is the tower. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in the mid 19th century. There is a stone carving representing the Trinity on the tower which is reputed to be one of the best examples in the county.
Binegar school was opened in 1862 with 20 pupils of all ages. The first qualified head teacher was appointed in 1874 and served in the post for 41 years. In 1930 it became a Primary School and the buildings have been extended several times since it was first built. There are now about 55 children on the roll.
Most of the land surrounding the village is given over to dairy farming and several farmers are now rearing more sheep. Although quarrying was once quite extensive in the village, there is at present only one quarry operating, supplying stone for road-making and crushed stone for making cement.
Binegar was an important station on the Somerset and Dorset railway from Bath to Bournemouth. Products from the Oakhill Brewery and the local quarries and coal mines were carried from the station to many destinations. The line closed in 1966. All that remains is the station house and the yard which is used as a coal depot. Now the only public transport serving the village is the bus service from Bath to Wells.
For recreational and cultural activities in the village there is the Memorial Hall and the recently acquired well-equipped children's playing field.
Binegar Fair, held in the field adjacent to the church during Whit week until 1955 was a well known horse fair, possibly moved from Wells at the time of the Black Death. Horses were brought from far and wide to be sold here, and many tales were told of fighting and brawling among gypsies and others around the village.
Private Henry Martin, one of the defenders of Rorke's Drift during the Zulu war, lived in the village until his death in 1937. His grave can be seen in the churchyard.