WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John

PostSubject: Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Sgt T. Cooper F comany   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi John

Very interesting read that, thanks for posting it.

The Cooper that was at Rorke's Drift (and survived), was private William Cooper, also of F company. It is believed by members of the family that he (William), was a relation of ours, but trying to find out is proving difficult.

There were also other Coopers at Isandlwana, sadly also KIA, and no idea (yet), if any of these could have been related, but you never know, one day something may turn up.

I understand that Ian Knight had a relative also called Cooper during the AZW, I wonder if there is some connection between us? It would be nice to think that Ian is somehow related to our family.

If Thomas Cooper was indeed killed near RD, it makes you wonder if he was trying to get there to warn them.

Martin. Salute
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Hi John

I understand that Ian Knight had a relative also called Cooper during the AZW, I wonder if there is some connection between us? It would be nice to think that Ian is somehow related to our family.

Martin. Salute
[quote]
Hi Martin,

Sergent thomas COOPER (1/24 ) is a relative of ian kNIGHT (see the "silver book" i think)
Regard

Ymob
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
90th

PostSubject: Sgt .Thomas Cooper 1313 F. Co ? 1 / 24th   Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 am

Hi All .
Not sure where I read it but Cooper is related to Ian Knight on his mothers side from memory . scratch
cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Sgt T. Cooper F company   Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi ymob

Thanks for the information, I knew I had read it somewhere that Ian had a relation that fought in the AZW called Cooper, but just couldn't think where I had read it.

Martin. Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Sgt T. Cooper F company   Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi 90th

Hope you are keeping well mate.

It would be very interesting to find out about Ian's relative, you never know, we just might be related in some sort of way. That would be an honour wouldn't it, being related to a great AZW war historian. Shocked :lol:

I also wonder if Thomas Cooper and William Cooper were both related, they were both in F company of the 24th foot (2nd Warwickshire) regiment, but then again, that is nothing to go by, it might just be a coincidence that both were called Cooper, and both were in F company, there must be many instances where men with the same surname find themselves in the same company, but are not related, but it would be nice to know though.

Martin. Salute
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 pm

He is listed as KIA at RD on his memorial card and until resently his family also believed
he was killed at RD, because of this Adrain Greaves thinks he may have been on of the
soldiers that died with Melvil and Coghill, as the Majors letter was written before any real
attempt to bury the dead at Isandlwana.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?   

Back to top Go down

Sergeant 1313 Thomas Cooper, F Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Killed in action at Isandlwana or a Rorke’s Drift casualty?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: THE ONE'S THE HISTORY BOOKS FORGOT-
Jump to: