WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Farnborough Hill
Today at 2:10 am by 90th

» Captain Walter Stafford NNC medals
Yesterday at 4:04 am by 90th

» Gerald French, liar or not?
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:24 pm by Frank Allewell

» A bit more fun research!
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 am by rusteze

» Trooper H. Boik (NMP) and Dartnell patrol Isandlwana, 22 January 1879
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 am by whizz-bang

» Norris-Newman
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 pm by Kenny

» Some fun research
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 am by Frank Allewell

» Isipezi Hill
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 pm by ALLENG

» Zulu shield question
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 am by SRB1965

» Buyer beware!..
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:47 pm by xhosa2000

» Colonel Farquhar Glennie
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm by SRB1965

» A number of SAGS for Sale at C Dixons
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm by xhosa2000

» Zulu Arts & Crafts Event.
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 pm by 24th foot

» Sir Henry Evelyn Wood VC, GCB, GCMG
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm by xhosa2000

» Captain Walter Stafford, 1st Natal Native Contingent,
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm by ADMIN

Captain Ronald G.E. Campbell, Coldstream Guards. killed at Hlobane
[Mac & Shad] Captain Ronald G.E. Campbell, Coldstream Guards --killed at Hlobane (Mac and Shad) (Isandula Collection)
Rob Caskie at a Showcase Event 2014
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

xhosa2000

Frank Allewell

rusteze

John Young

Tee

SRB1965

24th foot

ALLENG

Kenny

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Please help identify officers on this photograph

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thinredlineMOD

PostSubject: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

I found this photo a while ago - it might even have been here - but don't remember anything about the names of the officers (except Chelmsford of course and ..err Col. Wood?) and the context.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Does anybody know the names of the standing officers and the man to the left. He has some resemblance to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but that's probably wrong.

thanks in advance,

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://thinredlinemod.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 am

Dave,

Standing are (left to right) Brevet Major Matthew Gosset, 54th Regiment and Lieutenant A. B. Milne, R.N.

Seated (left to right) Commander Henry J. F. Campbell, R.N.; Lord Chelmsford; and Lieutenant-Colonel J. N. Crealock

(Source: The Washing of the Spears, Donald R. Morris)

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Please help identify officers on this photograph .   Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:01 am

Well done Tom . All the best .
90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
thinredlineMOD

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks a lot Petty Officer. Any chance you know the Commander's name in this photo? Since the group is described as being from HMS Active I always thought this was Campbell.

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Dave,

I see you might have an interest in the Naval Brigade. Am I correct?

Here are the names of the officers in the photograph.

Back row (left to right)
Lt. R. W. Craigie; Lt(RMLI) T. W. Dowding; Staff Surgeon H. F. Norbury; Sub-Lt. T. G. Fraser

Front row (left to right)
Boatswain J. Cotter; Midshipman L. C. Coker; Commander H. J. F. Campbell; Lt. W. des V. Hamilton; Surgeon W. Thompson.

I don't have a name for the dog.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Quote :
I don't have a name for the dog.
is there a dog in the photo, because I can't see it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Mr Greaves,

Sorry, my mistake! The dog has been cropped out the photograph that was posted. It is at the feet of Commander Campbell.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
thinredlineMOD

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks again Tom. Interesting to see Campbell's enormous evolution of facial hair. I certainly wouldn't have recognized him as the same person on these two photos. Also nice to put a face to Norbury, whom I only knew from that wonderful album which was auctioned off couple of years ago.

And yes, I think that the history of the Naval Brigade is quite fascinating. (May be a relic of too much exposure to relevant novels and films in my youth). But I currently research it because I make a modification for a computer game about the Zulu War. So I need (besides other things) some information on commanding officers and hopefully pictures of them.

Sorry about the dog. No animal cruelty was intended. I didn't even know it was there.

Image with dog from samilitaryhistory.org

all the best,
Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm

thinredlineMOD,

An update on the Naval Officer seated on Chelmsford's right in this photo.

Based on Donald Morris' "the Washing of The Spears" I identified him as Commander Campbell. However after your comment about Campbell's facial hair in other photos, I began to question who he really was.

I continued searching for another source, besides Donald Morris and found that the Killie Campbell collection, housed in the University of KwaZulu-Natal, has the same photograph among its collection on-line. The photo is labeled:

"Original Title: Lord Chelmsford, Pietermaritzburg, 1879"

"Description: Group photograph of Admiral Sullivan, Col. Crealock, Lt. Milne, Major Gossett and Lord Chelmsford."

Based on the Killie Campbell photo identification, and the fact that the photograph was taken in Pietermaritzburg, where Admiral Sullivan had gone on more than one occassion, and where Commander Campbell had not been, I am confident that the Naval Officer on Chelmsford's right is Admiral Francis W. Sullivan.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi All

On finding the following photographs, I am of the opinion that the Naval Officer is Francis William Sullivan.

Graphic 19 May 1906

And this is Henry John Fletcher Campbell
Illustrated London News 10 January 1914
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help identify officers on this photograph   

Back to top Go down

Please help identify officers on this photograph
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: LINKS & IMAGES RELATING TO THE ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: