WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Dawn Film. Chard: The army doesn’t like more than one disaster in a day.Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Secrets of the National Archives
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyToday at 10:06 am by rusteze

» Rededication to Lance Sergeant James Taylor. 16tj June 2019
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyToday at 2:49 am by 90th

» Col. F.V. NORTHEY
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyYesterday at 11:51 pm by ADMIN

» Original Blue Books
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyYesterday at 11:11 am by rusteze

» Hitch had no luck with VC's
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 7:45 pm by 1879graves

» Gunner William George Taylor
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am by Julian Whybra

» Francis S Alcock
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm by 1879graves

» Rev-Thomas Foran
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm by 1879graves

» Gras Fusil 1874
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 5:11 pm by rusteze

» The Pigeon Pie Incident
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» Henry Hook VC
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am by rusteze

» 1373 Pte Alfred Henry Hook VC.
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 am by ADMIN

» Lance Sergeant James Taylor (25B/82) E Company 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment (2nd Warwickshire),
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 am by ADMIN

» My new project HELP WANTED
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am by Julian Whybra

» Royal Marines of the Naval Brigade for the Zulu War
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 am by barry

Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff: 2/60th KRRC-Zungwini,Hlobane, Khambula, Ulundi
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians BullerBrev.[Mac and Shad] (Isandula Collection)
Anglo-Zulu war: Walking the battlefield of Kambula
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Bar_leftHMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians BarHMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Bar_leftHMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians BarHMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
impi
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
1879graves
Frank Allewell
ADMIN
Julian Whybra
rusteze
90th
John Young
Petty Officer Tom
aussie inkosi
scotrohrer2000
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob Herrick

HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Empty
PostSubject: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Does anybody know if HMS Active's naval brigade used drums or bugles for their musicians in the field?

Also, does anybody know which sailors in the Brigade were the musicians?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Rob,

HMS Active had 1 Bandmaster, 7 Bandsman, 2 Bandsman 2nd Class, and 2 Musicians. None of them served with the Naval Brigade during the Zulu War.

Boustead, William - Bandsman 2nd Class - Medal, No Clasp
Goff, Henry – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp
Harris, J. C – Bandmaster - Medal, No Clasp
Hayes, John - Bandsman 2nd Class - Medal, No Clasp
Littlejohns, Edward Smith – Musician - Medal, No Clasp
McCann, Francis – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp
Medhurst, W. – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp
O'Brien, T. – Musician - Medal, No Clasp
Rennie, William Alexander – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp
Riley, Thomas – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp
White, Thomas - Bandsman 2nd Class - Medal, No Clasp
William, Thomas – Bandsman - Medal, No Clasp

There was 1 bugler with the Royal Marines, but he also did not serve in the Naval Brigade.

LeDelaney, John – Bugler - Medal, No Clasp

When the “Active’s” men were besieged at Fort Eshowe they, along with the rest of Pearson’s column, were entertained by the bands of the “Buffs” and the 91st, but there is no mention of a Navy band.

HMS Shah had a drum and fife band that served ashore with their contingent to the Naval Brigade. Musician Charles Roper is the man referred to in Impi’s link.

I hope this answers your question.

Petty Officer Tom

Back to top Go down
Rob Herrick

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 pm

It makes things a bit more confusing.

Was there no tactical role for buglers and drummers in the Naval Brigade the way there was in the Army?
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 pm

MABEY / Drummer R.M HMS Active..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

Excuse me, I overlooked Thomas Cook, Bugler, RMLI who did serve with the Naval Brigade of "Active."

Drummer A Mabey (Maby) died 13 Feb 1878 at Ibeka, Trankei, after taken ill with dysentery.

Petty Officer Tom

Back to top Go down
Rob Herrick

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks.

That makes things a bit more confusing, since Active's Marine Contingent acted as a separate company from the two sailor companies. I suspect they also had somebody with a drum or a bugle. We may not know.
Back to top Go down
kalis

PostSubject: HMS ACTIVE BANDSMAN HENRY GOUGH   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Good day - this is my first posting.

Have read with interest the posting below on 15/11/2012 from "Petty Officer Tom". The HENRY GOFF appearing in the list of bandsmen on HMS Active, was my great-grandfather. I've been trying to trace his family history for ages, without success. Would there be any records anywhere which would show more info about these bandsmen - year of birth, place of birth, etc?

All that I know about Henry is that in September 1858 (SORRY, TYPO - THIS SHOULD READ 1878!)he married a South African girl, Sarah Maria Magdalena Kalis, in Simonstown, Cape Colony. The South African marriage record shows the groom as "Bandsman, HMS Active", so presumably this ship was based in Simonstown at the time. NB: Both his South African marriage record and my Dad's South African birth certificate, shows that the name is spelt GOUGH, and not GOFF.

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated - many thanks.

Gavin
Rochester, Kent
Back to top Go down
kalis

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:36 pm

My huge thanks to Rusteze for his prompt and highly relevant info. I've pinned down my elusive ancestor at long, long last!

I have another question......Field Musicians on Royal Navy ships - what did they do when they were not playing music? Did they become fighting men? For instance, Bandsman Goff (my ancestor) on HMS Active was in the Zulu War and the Ashanti campaign - what did he actually do? Fighting on land, presumably - what weapons would have been used?

I hope these are not silly questions, but I'm completely new to the topic!

Thank you
Gavin
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Your very welcome Gavin.

Here are a couple more references that turned up and I think are your family - the first is the 1851 census in Portsea with Henry aged 3 together with his mother and father. The next is the 1861 census, this time with Henry (Gough) a scholar but in the Workhouse. If it is him, it is no surprise he joined the Royal Navy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
kalis

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Very many thanks, once again. Highly relevant and useful.

Gavin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians   HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians Empty

Back to top Go down

HMS Active's Naval Brigade field musicians
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: NAVAL BRIGADE ANGLO ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: