WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

SRB1965

ymob

xhosa2000

1879graves

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

French in the Transvaal irregulars units

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi all

Anyone on the forum knows anything about the French in the Transvaal irregulars units?.

Thanks for help

Best regards

Pascal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 pm

It seems that there is information about this in:

With His Face to the Foe: Life and Death of the Prince Imperial

Anyone can learn
Back to top Go down
Jager1

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm

I've a medal to a Frenchman who served in the Frontier Light Horse, not a Transvaal Unit but served closely with the Border Horse etc

Emile BOUFFET, born circa 1845 Amiens, he apparently left for South Africa 1876/7 and was serving as a Sergeant and later Regimental Sergeant Major of the Frontier Light Horse 15th Feb 1878 until end of August 1879. He wounded at Hlobane during the Zulu War. I later picked up a mention of him during the Mapoch war of 1882/3, where he seemed to be acting as an interpreter to a Chief!

Justin
Back to top Go down
http://www.jagermedals.com

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

Hello

Thank you Justin, I searched all night and part of the night, I only find things on the Boer War 1899 -1902 ...

I know boaparte was visiting wounded French (Wounded in battles fought by Wood)

I misspoke, I'm not talking about the units of Transvaal, but who were with Wood ...

It seems that the French men were mostly in the FLH and WBH ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Jager1

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am

Apart from Grandier I can't think of any other Frenchmen off hand that are mentioned to any extent but the Border Horse certainly had others and going through the medal rolls their are a good deal of French sounding names. Certainly these units contained a huge mix of men of different Nationalities.

Justin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Justin

Yes it is true but there are many French-sounding name on the rolls of these two units, but unfortunately it does not prove anything ...

If I manage to find enough, I think that playing on their chauvinism, I would interest fellow to this war purely British ... Do you understand ?

Thanks for your help...we must continue, please...

Best regards

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Jager1

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am

Pascal

I just went through the rolls and there are many French sounding names but as you say that does not make them French.

I noted a few I either know are French or probably are

Bakers Horse:
Tpr Leon Surgina

Bettingtons
Tpr Barbourns
Tpr Le Tocq

Border Horse
Tpr Boudoin - survived Hlobane by hiding
Tpr Grandier - POW Hlobane

FLH
Sjt Maj Bouffet WIA Hlobane
Tpr Potgietor

NLH
Tpr Beissner

There are more names but..

Justin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 am

Thank you.

Yes this is what I explained earlier on French sounding names ...

Find if you could name of the the wounded visited by Bonaparte, it will help a lot ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: French in the Trasvaal Irregular units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Justin / Pascal La Rascal
I have a medal to a chap in the NLH who seems to have a French Name , Trpr . L. Dupuis .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: French In The Transvaal Irregular Units    Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Justin.
Tpr Le Toqc of Bettington's Horse was I think from Guernsey or another of the Channel Islands . He was also on the Patrol which resulted in the death of the P.Imperial .
Cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,Congratulations and thank you my good kangaroo

In some time, when we're done, we will be able to make a summary, a very interesting ... small file with above example ,will beings very interessant ...

Cheers

Pascal the Rascal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

Also Tpr Le Toqc of Bettington's Horse is not good for our list ... Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French in the Transvaal irregulars units   

Back to top Go down

French in the Transvaal irregulars units
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: COLONIAL REGIMENTS WHICH SERVED IN THE ZULU WAR OF 1879-
Jump to: