1st STOCKENSTROM RIFLE VOLUNTEERS
"Noted in August, 1877, as commanded by Capt. J. W. Green and 46 strong. The Snider rifles on issue included several worn out when they arrived. Strength jumped in January, 1878, to 5 officers and 95 men, and the corps was on active service in March and April, and in May about half were still there. The return for May gives 25 horses and for June 35. At the end of 1878 the strength was down to 3 officers and 72 men, armed with 70 long Sniders and 5 short. HQ at Balfour."