ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)

I can’t understand it, I left a thousand men here” Lord Chelmsford, returning to Isandlwana following the battle.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Source for faulty revolver
Today at 8:18 pm by Chelmsfordthescapegoat

» Tr. H. Lugg, Natal Md. Police. 17th Lancers Belt
Today at 7:43 pm by Chelmsfordthescapegoat

» Sapper W. Parker RE 14420
Today at 6:45 pm by 90th

» New Members Welcome.
Today at 5:24 pm by Dave

» the patients in the hospital at Rorke's Drift
Today at 3:20 pm by David Hargreaves64

» The Bishop of Natal has forwarded to a friend in England the following interesting translation of the statements which fugitives from Isandula made to him
Today at 1:05 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» New Medal,
Today at 11:59 am by Mr M. Cooper

» Chelmsford, Pulline. & Durnford
Yesterday at 9:38 pm by sas1

» Statement by Captain Alan Gardner, 14th Hussars. Camp, Rorke's Drift, January 26, 1879.
Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 pm by sas1

» Cigarette card collection
Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 am by xhosa2000

» Murder of Prince Louis Napoleon of France
Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 pm by littlehand

» Zulu Warriors. Date unknown
Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm by littlehand

» Did Coghill Meet Melville, Before Entering The River.
Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am by Julian Whybra

» John Williams VC Oil Painting
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 am by impi

» Private Daniel Lehan, 24th
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 am by 1879graves

Vet. Surgeon, 1st Class J. Lambert, 17th Lancers
Vet. Surgeon, 1st Class J. Lambert, 17th Lancers, Ulundi [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
Isandlwana interview with Dr VT Zulu
Our Favourite Web Links
Light A Candle.The Legacy Rorkes Drift. By Kris Wheatly The Die Hard Company Re-enactment Group Victorian Wars Forum. Jamies Site. Kings Own. The Wardrobe. The National Army Museum. The Anglo Zulu War Museum. The Zulu War 1879. Help For The Hero's Zulu War Talks. Soldiers Of The Queen. Zulu War Historical Society. John Dunn Foundation The Martini-Henry Rifle. Ian Knight's Website. Zulu War Author & Historian. All About the Martini Henry. Neil Aspinshaws new website. The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon) The British Empire By Stephen Luscombe. Soldiers of Rye Chris Viner
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
A tribute to the memory of the 1st Lt
Top posters
90th

littlehand

springbok9

Admin

tasker224

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

1879graves

Drummer Boy 14

impi

John

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.
Durnford was he capable.
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 2
The missing five hours.
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Chelmsford, Pulline. & Durnford
Crealock's notebook.
Share | 

24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Neil. Never been to the Battlefield. Could this be the Kraal in-question.

Brickhill states.

The mounted white force now went down to their assistance and these together held the plains so determinedly that the Zulu lines actually swerved once, and sought to mass together under cover of a kraal. A well-placed shot from one of the field pieces caused considerable havoc and scattered them from there. A general forward movement was now made by the enemy from the kraal just named, right away from the northern nek.
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 am

LH
Not that one, Brickhill is referring to those dotted on the plains in front of Isandlwana. These are on the fugitives trail approx 1km from the saddle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martinihenry.org
24th

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:24 am

In the one mentioned by LH, is it not possible, that the artillery shells put pay to some of the 24th.
Back to top Go down
barry

PostSubject: Visit to Isandlwana.   Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Neil,

Ok, I am on. Dates look good.
I will pm you.

regards,

barry
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

LH.

Could this be what you are looking for?

The book 'Hill of the Sphinx' (Jackson), mentions that,

"Colour Sergeant Wolfe, of Wardell's company, was cut off with twenty men in the rocks above a kraal which he may have been holding with this detachment".

If you have the book, it's in Chapter Six, page 41.
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Martin

I'm sure you have it right there, no other body of the 24th was posativly identified near a kraal other
than Wolfe's section.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello Sam.

Thank you, I have searched for anything regarding troops killed at or near a kraal, so when I found the above in 'Hill of the Sphinx' I thought that might be what LH is trying to find.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Sam, and that 'Santa' will bring you plenty of AZW material. Merry Christmas

Salute
Back to top Go down
barry

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi All,

This incident begs a number of questions. They are, in terms of the best info available ;

1) how many men were there killed at the kraal with Sgt Wolfe ?
2) were they indeed killed by friendly fire from a 7pdr RML mountain gun.?
3) if so, this must have been quite early in the development of the battle, and if that is correct ;
4) why was this group of men some 1200 metres away from the main defence lines of the camp and at a
position bearing 241 deg from the car park and almost on the Fugitives Trail. All of which suggests this
was not he ridge which Lt Roberts NNC was on, but rather a mass burial place for those dead found on the
trail

regards

barry

PS ; the mind boggles at the alternative to a friendly fire incident here

Last edited by barry on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:37 pm

"'Hill of the Sphinx' who's the author, not heard of this one...
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Barry.

According to Jackson's HOTS, there were 20 men with Wolfe. Regarding FF, I don't think they were hit by FF, it seems that they were overwhelmed by zulus, so that would rule out 3. The line of thought is that they were supposed to have been a rear guard, but I don't know if that is fact or someones suggestion.

Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:40 pm

CTSG.

F.W.D. Jackson.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 pm

His he new on the circuit. Does anyone have this book.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 pm

CTSG.

He is one of the best on the subject. His book can be obtained at the museum at Brecon, PM Bill and he will give you the details. I think it's about £12 or £13. Great book, great read, and great value.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:01 pm

CTSG. You know perfectly well who Jackson is. Just another one of your silly games, that ends up taking the discussion of topic. Give it a rest for Christ sake!!!!
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:03 pm

littlehand wrote:
CTSG. You know perfectly well who Jackson is. Just another one of your silly games, that ends up taking the discussion of topic. Give it a rest for Christ sake!!!!

Salute

Jackson's work is the best, all the sources are easy to find and there is no speculation, just hard
fact and a great read.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

DB, don't need that to follow, what I said comes from me, and that's it.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi LH.

Do you think that might be the men of the 24th that you are looking for? It does look like they were indeed killed near to a kraal, but I can't find anything other than what I first posted (Roberts), regarding any sort of friendly fire incedent.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

It could be, but I'm trying to establish, if it is possible these chaps were killed by friendly fire! Looks like Barry is looking along the same lines. But I still don't think it will be easy to establish who they were, based on we will never know the exact movements of some indivuals, we're they a few straggles from various companies that had banded together?
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: 24th men killed at Isandlwana near kraal   Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Yes, that is what I first looked at. But like I said, I did go through Ian Knight's write up about friendly fire incedents, and the only one I could find that stated a kraal was Roberts being shelled by FF. There must have been quite a lot of lead flying about, so it is not impossible that there were quite a few FF incedents, but you would think that a group of 20 men getting hit by FF would have been witnessed and spoken of after the battle, but did the witnesses survive to tell the tale? I will keep looking through the books I have, and if I come accross anything I will post it up for you.
Back to top Go down
24th

PostSubject: Re: 24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal    Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm

But was we aware of this prior to LH posting. Remembering these remains we're found a year later.

Do we have an approx time when the Kraal was shelled by the Artilliery on the 22nd Jan 1879.
Back to top Go down

24th Men Killed at Isandlwana near a kraal

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879) :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-