WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Film Quote: Lieutenant John Chard: “The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day”. Bromhead: “Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.”

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Imperial Survivor Captain Carey, 98th Regiment.
Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW Carey-Captain-1-181x240Isandula Collection)
Zulu War Chants
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW Bar_leftSwinburn Carbine issue in AZW BarSwinburn Carbine issue in AZW Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW Bar_leftSwinburn Carbine issue in AZW BarSwinburn Carbine issue in AZW Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
impi
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
aussie inkosi
SRB1965
Frank Allewell
1879graves
wentworth
ADMIN
90th
FredK
Catiline63
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW Empty
PostSubject: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm

My local RFD Mike Nobles December listing has a truly excellent article by Brian Knapp at the end, and whilst being somewhat "dodgy" on the Historical facts of the war is the best research article on the Swinburn Henry carbine and rifle purchased by the Natal Authorities circa 1876-78.

http://www.mjnoble.co.uk/pdf/mjn-dec-12.pdf

Knapps article does provide issue numbers to the individual local militia's, and interestingly no mention of Durnfords men, which does underline my previous comments about the issue prior to the war.

Why were Woods bodyguard issued Swinburns?, until November 1878 the issue of Martini Henry IC1 carbines had not been general, mainly due to the lack of numbers produced by Enfield, which had only acheived 30,000 by November 1878. The first issue I have recorded was the 9th Lancers in Afghanistan November 1878. (Robson).

The advantage of being able to engage half cock, with a loaded round in the chamber is 100% better than a Martini Action, it's only advantage as the extraction ]on a Swinburn is poor to say the least, as the extractor claw is affected by a sliding cam and is not good at all, Bullers letter 11.6.1880 underlines the carbines problems.

This is the Swinburn in my collection, Natal VZ serial numbers, does it appear in one of the images who knows, Blakemore retailed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.martinihenry.org
barry

barry

PostSubject: Swinburn- Henry   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Neil,
Thanks for posting. Considering its vintage and the hard life this weapon must have had, this piece looks in very good nick.
Can you indentify the type of wood used in the butt and stock?

regards

barry
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm

If somebody can explain to me how to post photographs from either my PC or a host site, I'd love to add some of the Swinburn rifle, the carbine and their bayonets.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Terry
Drop Pete ( Admin) a message hes a bright young lad.Shocked

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Ulundi

Ulundi

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 pm

I use photobucket. Upload copy and paste image Code into the text box I'm writing the message.

Code normally appears on the righthand side of the photobucket screen once up loaded. Image code is the one second from bottom.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks, Ulundi. Herewith experiment!

The Swinburn Rifle, Carbine and their bayonets.

The rifle bayonets are the Pat. 1871 cutlass bayonet issued to the Natal Naval Volunteers in 1885 and the Pat. 1875 commercial, issued to the infantry regiments (Who served as town guards during the Zulu War). Both bayonets bear the Natal Volunteer marking.  

The bayonet under the carbine is the rare bowie knife bayonet which was on limited issue to the Natal Mounted Police and certain of the volunteer regiments. Both the carbines and bowie bayonets saw service at Isandhlwana. One survivor referred to the bowie bayonet as a "foolish thing". 

The rifle and carbine also bear the markings of the Natal Volunteers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by terrylee on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Terry
Thanks for sharing that. Im assuming they are your own collection?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Swinburn Carbine issue in the AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 10:05 am

Welcome Terry and thanks for sharing the pic , much appreciated .
90th.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks, chaps, for the welcome. Yes, the Swinburns are from my collection. One of my areas of interest is the weapons of the Natal Volunteers and those used by the British during the Zulu and Boer Wars.
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Terry great photo's. I have been hit by the green eyed monster.agree
Back to top Go down
free1954

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm

yes. very nice indeed. you never see them for sale or even on display in the states.
Back to top Go down
free1954

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 12:57 pm

terrylee wrote:
Thanks, chaps, for the welcome. Yes, the Swinburns are from my collection. One of my areas of interest is the weapons of the Natal Volunteers and those used by the British during the Zulu and Boer Wars.

any other photos of period weapons you can post? I for one would like to see them.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Free 1954, No problem and a pleasure. I suppose only the Zulu War? If so, which is of most interest, Imperial Forces or those of Natal?
Back to top Go down
free1954

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm

terrylee wrote:
Free 1954, No problem and a pleasure. I suppose only the Zulu War? If so, which is of most interest, Imperial Forces or those of Natal?

those of natal would be great.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Fine, I shall start a new thread of four spaced parts covering the Enfields, the Calisher Terry, Sniders and Swinburns.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Post away Terry, Death or Glory!!!!Salute 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW   Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW Empty

Back to top Go down

Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: BRITISH / COLONIAL UNIFORMS. WEAPONS.-
Jump to: