WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. Bar_leftCavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. BarCavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. Bar_right 
Dash
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. Bar_leftCavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. BarCavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
jgregory
John Young
ADMIN
1879graves
Matthew Turl
New topics
» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. Empty
PostSubject: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 am

Interesting point for the members, can anyone point to source material that positions the companies on the ridge. We have sources that says they went up there but I cant find any that actually positions them. So if the positions are not confirmed in any of the suvivors naratives, where did they come from?

Second point. In the narative by Essex he mentions riding up to the ridge and stoping to have a conversation with Mostyn who told him where he would be slotting into the line next to Cavaye.

There is no mention in any narative that outlines exactly where Cavaye was, so heres the question. How did Mostyn know where he was going to slot in?

The traditional defence line on the ridge is definitly not visible from anywhere in the camp area, Would that mean that Cavayes line would have had to be visible so Mostyn could see where he wanted to fit in? If so is the traditional positioning wrong?

Regards
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Springbok dont recall reading anything about the converstion you mention between. Essex and Mostyn
is it in the Essex acount.

Am i right in thinking that Mostyn & Cavaye compaines both fell back to the camp.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Mostyn's Ring was found on the Battlefield, I beleive near the camp. The ring was returned tI his familey.
According to Ian knight Mostyn was near Cavaye so I'm assuming they were in eye contact.
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Springbok

I believe i read several posts on the old RDVC from Snook who stated that several of Cavaye's men's backs would have been visable from the camp but most were obscured from view.

Also did Shepstone ride by Cavaye ? i think i read that somewhere scratch

Cheers
DB
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Springbok. This from Ian Knight. Although is relating to the missing Compaines, there is quite a lot of information relating to these two Compaines.

" The disaster at Isandlwana was so swift and so comprehensive that, even today, more than 120 years later, historians remain deeply divided about aspects of the battle. The very intensity of the event, and the paucity of direct evidence relating to it, has led over the years to the rise and fall of a number of conflicting theories, as historians and enthusiasts alike debate everything from logistics to the character traits of those in command.
     One theory which has emerged in recent years is that of the ‘lost companies’- the idea that one or more of the companies of the 24th Regiment marched out from the camp, and was over-run in isolation, its fate still largely undetermined today. There are similar stories to be found in most wars, and the myth of the ‘lost command’ or the ‘lost patrol’ is as old as human conflict itself, evoking, as it does, many of the feelings of tragedy, pathos, horror and mystery, which are central to our view of death in battle.
     The question is, did anything of the sort occur at Isandlwana? The first suggestion that it might have is to be found in Lord Chelmsford’s despatch of 27 January, breaking the news of the debacle to the Secretary of State for War. After he had returned to Rorke’s Drift from Zululand, Chelmsford had ridden straight to Pietermaritzburg, and it was from there that he submitted a long report of the Isandlwana campaign, as he then understood it. After outlining his own movements, he commented significantly ‘As regards the proceedings of the six companies of British infantry, two guns and two rocket tubes, the garrison of the camp, I can obtain but little information’ 1. Then, intriguingly, he commented that ‘one company went off to the extreme left and has never been heard of since’ 2.
     That this might indeed have happened is apparently born out by a reference in arguably the most complete account of the battle from a Zulu source. Mehlokazulu kaSihayo Ngobese was the senior son of the important Zulu induna who lived on the Zulu side of the border at Rorke’s Drift, Chief Sihayo kaXongo. It was Mehlokazulu’s raid into Natal territory in search of his father’s runaway wives, in July 1878, which had been seized upon as a casus belli by the British. Mehlokazulu’s surrender was demanded in the British ultimatum, but King Cetshwayo had been unwilling to give him up, Mehlokazulu fought throughout the subsequent war as a junior commander in his regiment, the iNgobamakhosi. At the end of hostilities he was taken prisoner by the British, and sent to Pietermaritzburg to be tried according to the terms of the ultimatum. In the event, the case was dropped, but while in Pietermaritzburg Mehlokazulu was questioned about his role at Isandlwana, and as a result left one of the most comprehensive descriptions of the battle from a Zulu perspective. At one point, Mehlokazulu appears to confirm Chelmsford’s suspicions when he recalled that,
two companies, which went on the hill  ... never returned – they were every one of them killed. They were firing on the wings of the Zulu army, while the body of the army was pushing on, the wings also succeeded, and before the soldiers knew where they were they were surrounded from the west, attacked by the wings from the right, and the main body from the back. They were all killed, not one escaped ...3 
     If this incident did occur, and in the manner described, it is necessary to identify the troops involved, and the point in the battle at which this took place. And is it possible that the remains of men from one or two companies are still lying, undiscovered, and somewhere away from the main battlefield?  
     The question of who these men might have been is easily answered. Although detailed dispositions are still uncertain, the broad movements of the main elements of the British force are well known. Sometime before 11 am 4 on the morning of the 22nd, the camp commander, Lt. Col. Pulleine, sent Lieutenant Charles Cavaye’s E Company, 1/24th, onto a low ridge of hills to the immediate north of Isandlwana hill. This movement was apparently made in support of Col. Durnford’s sweep through the iNyoni range, which took place at about this time. Cavaye’s command ascended the so-called ‘spur’, and crossed out of sight from the camp beyond the skyline. Shortly afterwards, once the news of the discovery of the Zulu impi by detachments of Durnford’s men reached the camp, Pulleine despatched a further company of the 1/24th – F Company, under Captain William Mostyn – to support Cavaye 5. Captain Essex, who, as Transport Officer to the column had no particular duties to perform that morning, recalled the despatch of Mostyn’s men;
About noon a sergeant came to my tent and told me that firing was to be heard behind the hill where the company of the 1st Battalion 24th had been sent. I had my glasses over my shoulder, and thought I might as well take my revolver; but did not trouble to put on my sword, as I thought nothing of the matter and expected to be back in half an hour to complete my letter. I got on my horse and galloped up the hill passing a company of the 24th on its way to the front ...6 
As he passed, Mostyn, who was presumably on foot,
requested me, being mounted, to direct Lieutenant Cavaye to take special care not to endanger the right of his company, and to inform that officer that he himself was moving up to the left. I also noticed a body of Lieutenant Colonel Durnford’s Mounted Natives retiring down the hill, but did not see the enemy. On arriving at the far side of the crest of the hill, I found the company in charge of Lieutenant Cavaye, a section being detached about 500 yards to the left, in charge of Lieutenant Dyson. The whole were in extended order engaging the enemy, who were moving in a similar formation towards our left, keeping at about 800 yards from our line...7 
     In this description we find the main evidence to support Chelmsford’s view that troops were sent out to the ‘extreme left’ of the British line. The question is, what became of them?
     In some respects, the fighting on the ridge above the ‘spur’ remains the least understood aspect of the battle. At this stage – the verybeginning of the Zulu approach – the fighting was still fluid, with both sides able to manoeuvre in a way which they could not once the Zulu net drew closer around the camp. To the right of Mostyn and Cavaye’s companies, and largely ignored by them, Raw’s and Roberts’ troops from Durnford’s command first retreated to the foot of the ridge, and then – supported by Vause’s troop and a company of NNC who joined them at the bottom – counter-attacked back up the slope. The extended position on the ridge was, however, in danger of being outflanked by the advance of the Zulu ‘chest’ along the length of the iNyoni escarpment further to the British right.
     It is Essex, again, who provides the clearest evidence of what happened next. In many ways, his accounts remain problematic to conservative historians, since he is not only unequivocal in his view that Mostyn and Cavaye retired safely down the ‘spur’, but he goes on to describe in some detail how he then organised fresh supplies of ammunition for the fighting line, giving the lie to the myth that ammunition failure was an important factor in the British collapse. Of Mostyn and Cavaye’s predicament he says;
About five minutes after the arrival of Captain Mostyn’s company, I was informed by Lieutenant Melville, Adjutant 1st Battalion 24th Regiment, that a fresh body of the enemy was appearing in force in our rear, and he requested me to direct the left of the line formed, as above described, to fall slowly back, keeping up the fire. This I did; then proceeded towards the centre of the line. I found, however, that it had already retired. I therefore followed in the same direction, but being mounted had great difficulty in descending the hill, the ground being very rocky and precipitous. On arriving at the foot of the slope I found the two companies of 1st Battalion 24th Regiment drawn up about 400 yards distant in extended order, and Captain Younghusband’s company in similar formation in echelon on the left. 8 
     This seems such a positive assertion that there seems little room for doubt that Mostyn and Cavaye did indeed retire from the ridge and join the main firing line. Is it possible, though, that the section under 2nd Lieutenant Dyson, which Essex recalled a detached to the extreme left, was somehow cut off, and gave rise to the idea of the ‘missing company’? Not according to Essex, who – along with an unidentified source – was quoted in the eulogy to Dyson, which appeared in Mackinnon and Shadbolt’s The South Africa Campaign 1879. Quoting a ‘private letter written to his father’, it states;
The last person who saw your son and escaped, that I can find, was Captain Essex, 75th Regiment, acting transport officer. He tell me that just before the Zulu horn got round our flanks and the last overwhelming rush was made, Dyson was with one section of his company, which was in skirmishing order to the left-front of the camp. He gave orders to retire, and I believe, from another witness, that he and all his company rejoined the main body without loss.  The five companies were then together in line ....9 
    It is, of course, unwise of any historian to rely entirely upon one source. Are there, then, any independent witnesses who corroborate Essex’s testimony? Nyanda, a senior man among the detachment of the Zikhali Horse that had first discovered the impi, described the fighting on the ridge in his official report;
One company of the redcoats and the remainder of our men then came out from the camp to support, and marched to the top of the hill on the left of the camp – we dismounted and mixed with them under command of Mr Shepstone – firing – our own footmen all came up the hill at this time (50 men) and supported us. The Zulus then closed on us notwithstanding our fire and we retreated to the bottom of the hill, mixed up with the Company of redcoats that had advanced with us.10 
     Of course, if Mostyn and Cavaye had not managed to retreat to the foot of the camp, the implications for the firing line were immense. Captain Younghusband’s company had apparently been deployed to anchor the British left, and Essex indicates that Mostyn and Cavaye had fallen in to Younghusband’s right, thus completing the line that stretched out to the guns. If this did not occur, it is difficult to see how the British could have maintained any screen to the north of the camp; the line at this point would have been wide open, and the Zulu would surely have been able to penetrate it. Indeed, if the two companies had been wiped out on the hill, then the Zulu would have accorded to the regiment who faced them – chiefly the uNokhenke – the honour of being first to overcome the enemy. They did not; Zulu sources acknowledge that it was the uMbonambi – who broke through the line on the British right, between Pope’s company of Durnford’s men – who were the first to ‘stab’ the enemy 11.
     Moreover, further tentative evidence regarding the fate of these companies is afforded by the subsequent burial detail. It must be admitted that this evidence is incomplete; although some of Lord Chelmsford’s officers made attempt to seek out the bodies of friends and colleagues when Chelmsford returned to Isandlwana on the night of the 22nd, it was of course dark, and the column moved on before daylight. The first attempt to bury the dead did not occur until May, by which time most of the bodies were unrecognisable, and most of the 24th were not interred until June. Further burial details were necessary for several years to come, because the summer rains regularly washed bones out of the shallow graves.
     Nevertheless, the evidence afforded by the position of the bodies does tend to confirm the impression that Mostyn and Cavaye’s men did indeed retire to the camp, and were overwhelmed below Isandlwana, and in the valley behind. It is, of course, impossible to trace where individual soldiers fell, but there are tantalising glimpses of the fate of the officers. According to the eulogy in Mackinnon and Shadbolt – based on eyewitness testimony – Cavaye’s remains were recognised on the return of the main body to the camp on the night of the 22nd’12. Clearly, given the limited time that Chelmsford spent at the camp, this would only have been feasible if Cavaye had fallen in the camp area, and his body was relatively conspicuous. It is true that there is no reference to the body of Cavaye’s subaltern, Dyson, ever having been found, but there is some evidence to the fate of E Company’s officers. According to the contemporary regimental history,
Many months afterward a diamond ring was picked up on the field of Isandlwana. By mean of an advertisement, the finder was enabled to identify the ring as having belonged to Captain Mostyn, and restored it to that officer’s family.13 
     Of course, it is not clear from this where on the battlefield the ring was found, but a ring is an intimate item – most people don’t remove them except under unusual circumstances – and it is reasonable to assume that Mostyn had been wearing it when killed. His remains had probably lain nearby.  If the finder of the ring had stumbled across a clump of skeletons lost in the hills above the camp, he made nothing of it; it is far more likely that the ring was found in the camp area. The fate of Mostyn’s Lieutenant, Edgar Anstey, is well documented; it was found on the banks of the Manzimnyama stream, surrounded by a cluster of men of the 24th. The remains were identified by his brother, Captain Anstey RE, and brought back to England for interment 14.
     The spread of the bodies in entirely consistent with Mostyn and Cavaye – and the men under their command – having retired on the camp, and been overwhelmed in the fighting below Isandlwana, and in the valley behind. It does not support the theory that these men were killed further out from the camp.
     Is it possible, moreover, that successive burial details failed to locate the significant concentration of bodies that two or even one company represents? They might have been missed during the May burials, when the search was largely concentrated in the camp area, but the expeditions in June took place over several days, and were much more thorough. Moreover, the site was searched thoroughly again in September 1879, and yet again in March 1880, when the officer in charge, Lt. O’Connell of the 60th Rifles, specifically made inquiries of natives respecting the kraal where it was said two companies of the 24th Regiment had fallen, but they knew nothing about it. Mr Johnson, the missionary, residing near the field, informed me that he had also made inquiries about this kraal, but that the natives had never heard of it. He believed the story to have no foundation.15 
     It is also significant that neither the early travellers to the battlefield – who arrived shortly after the war had finished, when much debris was still on the ground – nor modern tourists have found remains indicative of such heavy fighting in the ridge area. A preliminary field search conducted as part of the 2000 archaeological survey discovered nothing to support the ‘lost companies’ theory, although clearly much exploratory work remains to be done.
     How can one explain, then, Chelmsford’s remarks to that effect in his original despatch, and the apparent support offered by Mehlokazulu’s account? Both, it seems, were more than a little influenced by the ‘fog of war’.
     Chelmsford’s initial despatch was written on 27 January. At that stage, no attempt had been made to collect and collate the evidence of survivors from the battle, and Chelmsford had very little idea what had happened at the camp. Indeed, the purpose of the Court of Inquiry – convened at Helpmekaar on the 29th – was not, as is sometimes supposed, to investigate conduct of the campaign, but simply to provide Chelmsford with a clearer picture of the events surrounding the loss of the camp. It was only on this occasion that the testimony of Essex and other survivors became known, dispelling the rumours that had prevailed since the battle itself. 
     And Mehlokazulu? Mehlokazulu’s regiment, the iNgobamakhosi, had been on the extreme left of the Zulu line, furthest away from events on the British left. Indeed, Mehlokazulu had been preoccupied with fighting against the stand made by the Colonial Volunteers and by Durnford, and he admitted that in its last stages the fight had been desperate and confusing. ‘Things were then getting very mixed up’, he admitted, ‘what with the smoke, dust, and intermingling of mounted men, footmen, Zulus and natives, it was difficult to tell’ what was going on.16 Clearly, any impression of events that took place beyond Mehlokazulu’s immediate vicinity was influenced by hearsay after the event. And here, perhaps, it is possible that he was responding to descriptions of the fragmentation of the British line that took place as it collapsed. Several witnesses on both sides recalled that different companies of the 24th retired in different directions, and that the Zulus rapidly drove wedges between them. Indeed, the account of ‘Untabeni and Uhlolwani’, two members of the British intelligence department who fought at Isandlwana, is strongly reminiscent of Mehlokazulu’s version, and probably reflects the impression of many who were there;
The company of the 24th, which was returning from the neck, got to within 200 yards of the NNC tents on the left, where they were surrounded and cut off to a man.17 

That the 24th companies on the left of the line became separated during the retreat through the camp is supported by uGuku, a warrior of the uKhandempemvu regiment, who, referring to the same incident, recalled,
One party of soldiers came out from among the tents and formed up a little above the ammunition waggons. They held their ground there until their ammunition failed them, when they were nearly all assegaied. Those who were not killed at this place formed again in a solid square in the neck of Sandhlwana ...18 
     And it is in this terrible picture of the firing line breaking up, of companies becoming separated in the desperate retreat through the camp, of being swallowed up in the chaos, confusion, noise, smoke and horror of the camp’s last moments, that we find the true origin of the story of the ‘missing companies’.
     It is, in its way, romantic to imagine that the bones of hundreds of redcoats still lie out in the empty veldt, crumbling under the onslaught of the elements, undiscovered more than 120 years on. They are not; they lie, together with those of their comrades, in the hard soil along the foot of mount Isandlwana and in the Manzimnyama valley beyond, where they fell.

1 Despatch of 27 January, published in British Parliamentary Papers C 2252. 
2 Ibid.
3 Mehlokazulu, interviewed on 27 September, 1879, reproduced in The Natal Mercury’s digest of reports on the war, published 1879.
4 It is notoriously difficult to ascertain correct timings in the study of any battle, and this is particularly true of Isandlwana, where the trauma of subsequent events makes the estimates given by survivors unreliable. Contemporary references to the time at which incidents took place are confused and often contradictory. All timings given here are therefore approximate. 
5 The most detailed evidence of these movements comes from Captain Essex’s evidence to the Court of Inquiry, held at Helpmekaar of 27 January. Captain Alan Gardner’s evidence also confirms the general outline of these movements. BPP C 2252.
6 Essex, letter dated ‘Rorke’s Drift, January 26th 1879’, published in The Times, 12 April 1879.
7 Essex, evidence at Court of Inquiry.
8 Essex, ibid.
9 J. P. Mackinnon and S. H. Shadbolt, The South Africa Campaign of 1879, 1880.
10 Statement of Nyanda, 25 January 1879. WO 32.
11 Testimony of Mpatshana kaSodondo in C. De B. Webb and J. B. Wright (Ed), The James Stuart Archive. Vol. 3, 1982.
12 Mackinnon and Shadbolt.
13 Records of the 24th Regiment, by Cols. Paton, Glennie and Penn Symons, 1982.
14 Mackinnon and Shadbolt; Anstey family sources.
15 Lt. M. O’Connell, report dated Pietermaritzburg April 16 1980. BPP C-2676.
16 Mehlokazulu’s account, Natal Mercury.
17 Statement of Untabeni and Uhlolwani, WO 32.
18 Account of uGuku in History of the Zulu War and its Origin by Frances Colenso and Edward Durnford, 1880."

Source:The Myth of the Missing Companies By Ian Knight. 
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 am

John
Yes most of what we know comes from the Essex account. Virtualy as Littlehand posted.
And yes I dont think there is any doubt that they were on the ridge and also that they withdrew. Lots of evidence to support that.

Db
Unfortunatly Col Snook has not drawn on any first hand statements. He has followed on from earlier authors positioning of the line.

LH
Yep fully agree with everything you posted.

All

What isnt suported though is exactly where on the ridge the two companied lined up. Traditional thought has them along the line of the curved ridge itself. This is the area that I cant substantiat.

I cant locate any source at all that actually positions the troops. The earliest one written was the Penn Symonds narative and he doesnt position the two companies apart from mentioning that the first volleys were fired at a range of 800 yards into the valley on the crest. That figure of 800 is repeated by Stafford so if we assume that its correct ( dangerous to assume with iSandlwana i know ) and you take that distance back from the valley the impi advance west along it puts the line half way across the plateau. That doesnt correspond with other evidence that says the troops took position amongst the rocks. The only real area that provides a confluance is the foot of Mkwene Knoll.

That satisfies a string of questions.
1) That Cavaye was sent to ostensibly back up the Durnford horse patrols, Raw Raberts etc. So logic says the troops would have been facing East. The ridge line faces North.

2) Cavaye wouldnt have been able to see around the Mkene hill, hence dispatching Dyson 500 yrds to the west. That gave Dyson a view round the corner.

3) The line would be visible from the camp area so Pulleine would have been able to give Mostyn precise orders where to take post.

4) Mostyn would then have been able to describe to Essex exactly where he was going to slot into the line.

5) The line extention would then have been able to fire on theright wing at that figure of 800 yards

6) When Shepstone rallied the men and moved onto the ridge to force back the zulu skirmishers it would have been in the exact position at the estern end of the line.

7) To sumarise then, I think its highly posible that the line on the ridge was around 200 yards away from the historical position at the start of its engagement.

Another piece of the enigma I suppose.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by springbok9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 am

Hi Springbok .
Yes , there are many enigmatic factors regarding Isandlwana as you are no doubt well aware Rolling Eyes . I dont know of any other reports that actually state with 100 % confidence where these troops
were lined up on the Crest / Ridge etc etc .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.   Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 am

Hi 90th
Our posts crossed, I edited the contents a tad.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

Cavaye and Mostyn and Dyson.
Page 1 of 1