WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

SRB1965

ymob

xhosa2000

1879graves

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bill Sloan

PostSubject: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Hello. I am new to the forum.

I have a Zulu War medal presented to C. Longthorne 1st 13th Ft. It does not have the original clasp, but I believe he was entitled to the 1879 clasp.

I believe this man to have been a great, great uncle of mine, though the family history I have of this is very thin. Can anyone provide me with any information on C. Longthorne? I an trying to estabish/clarify the family link.

I would appreciate any help members can give me with this search. I live in Canada, so researching this sort of information is very difficult.

My thanks.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Pvt. C.Longthorne 1190 1 / 13th    Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 am

Welcome to the Forum Bill , I've had a look through my records and havent come across this Medal . So I cant offer you any
information . Did it come through the family , or was it purchased at some stage believing it to be belonging to the family ?.
Hope that made sense ! .
Cheers 90th.

Back to top Go down
Bill Sloan

PostSubject: Charles Longthorne   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi:

I recieved this medal from my late mother, but she didn't have any information on it. She did tell me that she had a great uncle that had been to South Africa. At this point I am assuming that this was he. My family is from Ireland (I was boorn there myself) with family ties in England and Scotland, so it seems plausible that there is a family connection by marriage. I have a ways to go to establish the genealogical link I suspect. It has already been a very interesting journey.

One of the other forum members has found C. Longthorne on the Zulu medal role. He sent me a pdf. of the page from the role. If you send me your e-mail, I would be happy to forward the page.

Thanks for your interest and efforts to help me with this.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: C.Longthorne   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi Bill .
Thanks for your offer but I did see him on the roll , what I was attempting to say , although I didnt make it very clear Very Happy , was that I'd gone through my records of Medals sold or for sale , either on ebay , or by Medal dealers and Auction Houses in the last 6 yrs .
As this is the period from when I've kept records , albeit not every medal in this time but quite a few in any case . Unfortunately I havent come across Longthorne's medal , as others on here have been doing it longer they may have some good news ...hopefully .
Good Luck in your endeavours , please post whatever information you come across , as there are some very good researchers on this forum who would be only to willing to help .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
muttley

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:51 pm

hi, I found him on ancestry census 1881 Devonport with the 1st battalion 13th foot later the sumerst light infantry.  pte, Charles longthorne, unmarried, born sheffeld Yorkshire. hope that helps a little.  muttley.

Last edited by muttley on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
24th

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Reliable as usual 1879Graves  agree 
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks 24th  Salute 
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
muttley

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm

seeking information on 36/194, pte, j brown. 1/13th foot. south Africa medal with clasp for 1878-9.later sumerset light infantry. was he a kambula and or Ulundi vet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient   

Back to top Go down

Seeking information - C. Longthorne, Zulu War medal recipient
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: MEDALS KNOWN TO EXSIST-
Jump to: