WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command. Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Isandlwana Casualty - John William Jones Davies
Yesterday at 10:44 pm by ADMIN

» Service of Re - dedication of the grave of Lt Col FV Northey.
Yesterday at 10:28 pm by Chelmsfordthescapegoat

» Lamaci, Natal
Yesterday at 7:49 pm by Mike Morley

» Shepstone's last stand
Yesterday at 1:44 pm by xhosa2000

» Mansel letter?
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 pm by Drummer Boy 14

» Hamers 'rocketeer'
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm by SRB1965

» Braves mens blood
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm by xhosa2000

» They fell like stones
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm by SRB1965

» Cairns east of Isandhlwana
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm by rusteze

» redcoats with Durnford
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 pm by Drummer Boy 14

» William Henry Orchard
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm by Frank Allewell

» Lt Col Northey grave rededication
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm by John Young

» Captain Charles Lacon Harvey, 71st Regiment
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm by ADMIN

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 bar 1879 CAPT: C.W. MURRAY 61st FOOT;
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm by ADMIN

» Lt.Colonel Tufnell
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm by ADMIN

Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff
Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff: 2/60th KRRC-Zungwini,Hlobane, Khambula, Ulundi [Mac and Shad] Isandula Collection
Anglo-Zulu War 1879 - Dr David Rattray
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Frank Allewell

rusteze

SRB1965

xhosa2000

Drummer Boy 14

Julian Whybra

Mike Morley

littlehand

barry

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 pm

scratch
Lovely group sold a year or two ago. There's a thread on it in this forum already somewhere.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Pvt 17th Lcrs Medal Group with photos , books etc    Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:45 am

I know a group like this was posted on here , I assume its the same chap ? . Didnt Justin from Jager medals have it for sale a while back ??. If not this chap it was another which had the same sort of photos and books to accompany it .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 am

You are exactly right 90th.
Same group; sold a year or two back by Jagermedals.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Rare group of medals , Pvt 17th Lcr's   Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Tasker .
I was fairly certain I'd seen it before . I actually did think about buying it , but as I already had a 17th Lcr Medal I
decided against it . Suspect
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 pm

By the time I'd stopped dithering and decided to buy it 90th, it had already been sold. Hardly surprising really - possiby a unique set of items. I have a mint SAG in its original named box of issue, as good as the day it was issued, but this group trumps that imo.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Rare Medal Pvt 17th Lcrs   Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Tasker .
Salute Agreed . Very Happy
Cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
SergioD

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:39 pm

I also trie dto buy it and just missed out. As you know the 17th is my passion was very sad to miss this lot.

BTW back after having been laid up for a while with a particularly nasty injury ( what idiot invented Vets rugby!!). What have I missed on the medal front?

Will update the lancer list as I have been able to acquire details and a couple of new medals.
Sergio D
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Welcome back SD; playing rugby at your age? Salute Joker Salute Joker Salute sounds like you've been trying to mix it up with those bad Welsh boys in the front row! :p;:
Nothing huge has happened on the medal front, other than by the sounds of it, you ending up with a runner's up medal!
Back to top Go down
SergioD

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 am

Haha Tasker - I know some form or Mid life crisis i expect. Mrs D was well pleased still who wants to decorate anyway Very Happy

The irony was it wasnt the welsh - formidable opponents that they can be - but it was a touring South African team . Its been a long time since I was on the wrong end of a spear tackle - I thought that was a Kiwi thing.

Still i had plenty of time to read a number of Zulu war books I have stored up although the size of the Harford and a soldier artist in Zululand proved prohibitive for reading- but useful for my physio.

Good to be back

sergio D
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am

Sergio
South Africans? Spear tackle?
We call it a traditional method of introduction. :p;:
Cheers Mate
No
Back to top Go down
SergioD

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 am

yes Springbok - I think in the SA rugby rule book it is just called a tackle!!

personally I call it a miracle that he was strong enough to lift me up off the ground in the first place.

Even more annoying was apparently I missed an incredible post match drinking session complete with the South African Meat Companys - selection of Wurst and Biltong!!!

I dont think the hospital food was a patch on a nice bit of dried Kudu!!
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Thank goodness the Springboks no longer practise impalement! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 am

Since when????? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI   

Back to top Go down

VERY RARE GROUP OF MEDALS, PICTURES AND DIARY TO A PRIVATE OF THE 17th LANCERS WHO SERVED THROUGHOUT THE ZULU WAR OF 1879, MOST PROBABLY WITH ‘A’ TROOP AT THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: 1879 ZULU WAR CAMPAIGN MEDAL-
Jump to: