WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
A Battlefields Experience.  Bar_leftA Battlefields Experience.  BarA Battlefields Experience.  Bar_right 
Dash
A Battlefields Experience.  Bar_leftA Battlefields Experience.  BarA Battlefields Experience.  Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
Tig Van Milcroft
Rob Herrick
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
A Battlefields Experience.  EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

A Battlefields Experience.

Go down 
+4
tasker224
littlehand
John
ADMIN
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ADMIN

ADMIN

A Battlefields Experience.  Empty
PostSubject: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm

A Battlefields Experience by forum member Springbok.

The battles between the Zulus and the British of 1879 have long been of interest to me, in particular the events around the iSandlwana plain in Northern Zulu Land. 
​The iSandlwana Mountain and scene of the bloody battle in which 7400 British, Colonial and Zulu forces lost their lives looks over the iSandlwana plain, to the left is the Nqutu ridge and to the right the Malakathi and Hlakazi hills and ahead some 15 kilometres away the Magogo and Silitshane hills shimmer in the distance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The battlefield looking across the plain to Magogo.

​I have walked over all of the Battlefield and most of the surrounds, this time I wanted to trace the steps of the Natal Native Contingent lead by Colonel Hamilton Brown.

Me on the saddle at iSandlwana.

The path they took on that long ago march leads from the campsite under the shadow of the iSandlwana hill and wanders across the plain to the north of Malakathi, over the neck separating it from Hlkazi, then south parallel to the uMzinyathi River before turning north into the Mangeni gorge. My intentions were to find the path leading out of the gorge onto the Mangeni plain and camp between Magogo and Silitshane hills. The place long ago used as a breakfast stop by the Commander of the British invasion force, Lord Chelmsford.

My target area, Lord CHelmsford's  breakfast spot.

​I left my 4x4 under the shadow of Malakathi, well of the beaten track, hefted my 12kg pack and set off. The climb over the neck was surprisingly tiring and left me short of breath. I shrugged it off deciding I really needed to get fitter and took the easier downhill section towards the uMzinyathi.
​The 10 kilometre walk seemed endless and I stopped frequently to catch my breath and take photos. The shortage of breath was worry sum but I put it down to the hot dry weather. The shade as I turned into the Mangeni Gorge was a welcome relief from the thirty plus degree heat and a drink from the ice cold Mangeni stream tasted better than the finest champagne.

The Mangeni Gorge with the rockpools below

​Another hour brought me to the waterfall and the magnificent water pools totally unspoiled by man. I unrolled my sleeping bag under the shade of a tree and debated on resting for a while, boiling a kettle for some bush coffee and just enjoying the surrounding peace.  Looking at the cliff face opposite I was sure I could discern a faint inclining line in between the growth. Could it be this easy to find the track used all those years ago?
​All thought of resting was gone as I waded over the stream and searched around for the disturbance in the growth I had seen from the opposite bank. I found what seemed to be a game track and followed it upwards, getting stepper as I climbed. Before I got to the top my breathing had quickened and I was labouring. I sat down and decided to get back down and rest up for the day, the sun was going down and twilight in Africa is a fleeting time.

The uMzinyathi river

This is that magnificent time when Africa becomes Africa; that small period in time when the landscape changes, the water reflects the contentment and the heat of the day gives way to the cold of the evening.
​I got back to my camp site and in quick time had my coffee boiling away and was dipping into my re hydrated stew and mash with relish. By the time I was finished eating my eye lids were starting to droop and my body was feeling the effects of the day’s exertions.
​As the night closed in the temperature started to drop so the welcome feel of being wrapped in my sleeping bag lulled me to sleep.

​I awoke with a start and panicked trying to get my sleeping bag open to get rid of the weight pressing on my chest. As I burst out of its warm into the cold night air I realised the chest pain wasn’t some nocturnal beast cuddling up for warmth but a solid pain. My mind leapt back to the last time I had felt this pain, three years ago and the spell in hospital recovering from the heart attack. I Scrabbled for my emergency bottle of pills and broke the top of in my eagerness to try and relieve the pain. A few minutes after slipping a pill under my tongue the pain subsided to a level that allowed me to assess the situation.
No cell phone coverage; at the bottom of a gorge no one goes to; the family doesn’t know where I am and a heart attack threatening. Not good at all, I couldn’t wait for help, it wasn’t coming. My survival depended on my own resources and ability to walk out of the situation and get to a hospital.
It was cold, very cold, but I needed to travel as lightly as possible, I had slept in my shorts and socks so it was a matter of minutes to slip the socks of, tie my boots around my neck with a T shirt stuffed into one. I loaded my pockets with cell phone, car keys, wallet, pills, torch and a water bottle. Everything else was wrapped in my sleeping bag and pushed into the undergrowth.
​I had two options, go back the way I had come but that was a ten kilometre walk or climb out of the gorge and head across the nearly flat plain, around 6 kilometres. I decided on the shorter walk
​I pushed another pill under my tongue and set of over the steam, pausing just long enough to pull on my socks and boots I set of up the game path I had found earlier. Thank fully I had taken the time to explore earlier; it was probably that one action that saved my life.

​The climb was slow motion hell trying to balance the need for speed without increasing my chest pains, as long as that pain level didn’t rise I had a chance, but God I was scared.

​It took an hour and a half to do what should have been a twenty minutes climb and despite the minimum clothing I was sweating badly enough that I feared dehydration. I drank my water bottle dry and headed across to the upper stream to fill it again. This was the last water before I got back to my car.
The Mangeni plain is in fact a bowl with a ridge separating it from the iSandlwana plain. I slowly made my way up pausing often. I had been told by my Cardiologist to take a maximum of 6 emergency pills a day, by the time I reached the top of the ridge Id taken eight.

iSandlwana from the ridge separating the two plains and the distance I covered.

​The slight wind on top of the ridge was enough to bring on a strong chill factor and I started to shiver. I contemplated briefly, moving of my course to get into the lee of the Hlakazi hill. But the deviation was too far and could mean the difference between life and death. I carried on down the plain, there was no moonlight to go by and the route ahead was pitted with rocks and dongas.
There is a big donga that leads from East to West splitting the plain this was I decided my best route to follow, shelter from the chilled wind and a highway to my car.
I moved of trying to locate it, without falling in and breaking a leg.

The route from the ridge across the iSandlwana plain, the Donga

​I found it!
Sliding down to the bottom, it’s around three to four metres deep, the relief from the wind was instant and it seemed as some of the day’s heat was trapped in its steep sides. I knew the direction the donga took and had only to stay with it until it started to turn south.

​I finished of my water and discarded the bottle, the torch was of little help so that was dropped as well, any weight reduction helped to extend my rapidly diminishing strength. My will power was strong boosted by periodic glances at my cell phone and its picture of my son’s two year old twins.

​After what seemed an eternity but was in effect around two hours I realised that the sides of the donga were getting shallower and more visible. Dawn wasn’t too far away. I scrambled to get up the sides but kept slipping back so walked on a short distance to get a better place to climb out of what I was rapidly coming to terms would be my coffin.

The end of the Donga

​With the sky getting lighter ever moment I realised I’d come too far and had to backtrack across the plain towards my vehicle. All my concentration, my will, my desperate need to survive was focused on the gap in the hills. I was so intense I almost bumped into the car. My hands were cold and I had difficulty opening the doors but eventually I crawled in and managed to start the engine, the heat kicked in straight away and I almost fell asleep. In the car was my bush jacket so I slipped it on and opened the windows. It was now almost light enough to see the track and with being out of the cold and the exertions of walking my chest pains had subsided. I still had a choice to make, drive to Dundee a small town probably without cardiac equipment, Ladysmith or Durban. I opted for Durban and regret to say I broke every speed regulation there was. The drive to Durban is now a blur, I’m sure at times I was semi conscious. I don’t remember arriving at the airport, I had in my delirium elected to fly home rather than visit a local hospital. Possibly the homing spirit that every little child experiences, get hurt and run home straight away, or maybe that I had consumed twenty of my pills.

I managed to get a flight without too much delay and remember phoning my Doctor in Cape Town asking him to meet me at the Airport. He wisely contacted my wife who did, and without any fuss got me into hospital. I only realised when I got to Cape Town that I was missing my shoes and socks! I must have presented a strange sight walking through the airport, filthy feet cut and bleeding with no recollection of when my boots had disappeared.

I had over the next few days two operations, contacted pneumonia (hardly surprising) and had a partially collapsed lung.

All that is now behind me, a magnificent medical team lead by Dr Zaid Mohamed, and some 6 weeks later after the ministrations of the Angels and Guys from the Sports Science Institute of Newlands I’m getting fit, my hearts getting healthier and I’ve gone back to the Mangeni Gorge with my son to collect my belongings.

We camped overnight in the Gorge at my campsite. My son fell asleep but I stayed awake I have to admit waiting for the demons to go away.

Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
John

John

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Sprinkbok. Thank you for sharing this, it must have been very difficult to write. I'm just so glad it ended well. The last photo say's it all. God bless you mate. And once again thank you Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Totally agree with John Salute

Those red soldiers and Coloinals were looking after you. Of course, you won't be doing a solo visit again, I hope.

Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Awesome photos Springy.
Great story, unlike thousands of others, you survived your trials and tribulations on those plains.
Don't listen to LH, go there again solo if you wish!
You won't need me to tell you, as you will now know for yourself - It is incredible what they can do for dicky-ticker sufferers these days.
Hope it is all now stablilised and the meds are doing their job. If so, just crack on as normal, nothing to stop you! Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Quote :
Don't listen to LH, go there again solo if you wish
No
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: A Battlefield Experience    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Springbok.
Excellent work that man . Very Happy . I've sent you an email . Salute
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Cromwell

Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 5:57 pm

WOW, I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you.
Its sounds like you are a experienced hiker/trekker but is it advisable to travel alone in the African bush especially with a known health condition.

"the force is strong in this one" , you are with out doubt a very brave man.Salute 

Best regards

Geoff

Ps, love the photos, i would love to go there one day.

Last edited by Cromwell on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi Geoff
Welcome to the forum.
No not brave, stupid. Mad 
Wandering around in Zululand is suprisingly safe, its the cities that represent more of a problem. The country folk are genuine people.
That being said wandering around any sparsely populated area on your own is dumb. I will be returning to Zululand but not alone.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Cromwell

Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:36 pm

springbok9 wrote:
Hi Geoff
Welcome to the forum.
No not brave, stupid. Mad 
Wandering around in Zululand is suprisingly safe, its the cities that represent more of a problem. The country folk are genuine people.
That being said wandering around any sparsely populated area on your own is dumb. I will be returning to Zululand but not alone.
Cheers

Thanks for the welcome springbok, I had 5 wonderful days in SA back in 99, went to Pilanesberg, Sun city and a day in Jo-burg and it is without doubt the most beautiful country arguably in the world.
If any of you guys ever arrange to go on tour let me know (remember to pack defib kit and oxygen tank).

ps. I know its nowhere near the same thing but I had my first asthma attack 2 years ago (thought it was a heart attack) and the shear dread and panic I felt was indescribable, I was 500 mtrs
from home on my own in a foot of snow at night. I lay in the snow for about 5 mins until I realised if it was my heart I would be dead, I managed to get home after stopping every 50 yards.
Luckily my wife is asthmatic (joke in there somewhere) so she gave me her emergency inhaler which eased the strangle hold on my chest almost immediately. The funny thing is having the panic attack made the asthma attack 10 times worse and that first one could have been the last one-sobering thought. So I went out and got drunk:D 
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Geoff good post welcome to the forum. Not sure if your aware, but old springbok will hopefully be publishing a book You need to study mo  with a new take on the Battle of Isandlwana. Something to look forward to. Salute 
Back to top Go down
Cromwell

Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 pm

littlehand wrote:
Geoff good post welcome to the forum. Not sure if your aware, but old springbok will hopefully be publishing a book You need to study mo  with a new take on the Battle of Isandlwana. Something to look forward to. Salute 

Hi Little,

I will look forward to that, it amazes me how this small unsanctioned war captures the imagination and fuels the fires of controversy.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

There is much to talk about. Once people realise that the Zulu War didn't start on the 22nd and end on the 23rd Jan 1879.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: A Battlefields Experience.    A Battlefields Experience.  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am

CTSG is quite right there are many more issues during the war, however in the forums defence, the intangibles are still at iSandlwana and RD. Hence more about them and less about the other battles who are all pretty well documented being more suvivors.
Anyway CTSgs main contribution is how well his hero played billiards, dead eye, so to speak. Shocked 

Cheers
Back to top Go down

A Battlefields Experience.
Page 1 of 1