ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)

I can’t understand it, I left a thousand men here” Lord Chelmsford, returning to Isandlwana following the battle.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» New Medal,
Today at 11:27 am by John Young

» Tr. H. Lugg, Natal Md. Police. 17th Lancers Belt
Today at 6:27 am by barry

» Cigarette card collection
Today at 12:55 am by xhosa2000

» Statement by Captain Alan Gardner, 14th Hussars. Camp, Rorke's Drift, January 26, 1879.
Today at 12:24 am by Chard1879

» Murder of Prince Louis Napoleon of France
Yesterday at 8:31 pm by littlehand

» Zulu Warriors. Date unknown
Yesterday at 8:02 pm by littlehand

» New Members Welcome.
Yesterday at 12:40 pm by xhosa2000

» Did Coghill Meet Melville, Before Entering The River.
Yesterday at 11:59 am by Julian Whybra

» The Bishop of Natal has forwarded to a friend in England the following interesting translation of the statements which fugitives from Isandula made to him
Yesterday at 1:08 am by littlehand

» Source for faulty revolver
Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:53 am by Julian Whybra

» John Williams VC Oil Painting
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 am by impi

» Private Daniel Lehan, 24th
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 am by 1879graves

» THE MARTINI-HENRY RIFLE. Special interest attached at the present moment to a blue book on the Martini-Henry rifle and ammunition
Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm by littlehand

» Sgt Evans survivor of Isandlwana
Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» Searching through the dust of time
Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm by Julian Whybra

Vet. Surgeon, 1st Class J. Lambert, 17th Lancers
Vet. Surgeon, 1st Class J. Lambert, 17th Lancers, Ulundi [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
Isandlwana interview with Dr VT Zulu
Our Favourite Web Links
Light A Candle.The Legacy Rorkes Drift. By Kris Wheatly The Die Hard Company Re-enactment Group Victorian Wars Forum. Jamies Site. Kings Own. The Wardrobe. The National Army Museum. The Anglo Zulu War Museum. The Zulu War 1879. Help For The Hero's Zulu War Talks. Soldiers Of The Queen. Zulu War Historical Society. John Dunn Foundation The Martini-Henry Rifle. Ian Knight's Website. Zulu War Author & Historian. All About the Martini Henry. Neil Aspinshaws new website. The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon) The British Empire By Stephen Luscombe. Soldiers of Rye Chris Viner
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
A tribute to the memory of the 1st Lt
Top posters
90th

littlehand

springbok9

Admin

tasker224

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

1879graves

Drummer Boy 14

impi

John

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.
Durnford was he capable.
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 2
The missing five hours.
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Chelmsford, Pulline. & Durnford
Crealock's notebook.
Share | 

Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Sj. It's seems your post has caught the eye of someone on the Victoria War forum. I think it will help with your crusade! There's even a nice photo

http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=8390

Back to top Go down
Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:57 pm

From the e-book

"NORRIS-NEWMAN, Lt-Col. Charles  L. W. M. (TiKXTSix), F.K.G.S. ; In-telligence Officer, Imperial Russian Service ; b. Aug. 22, 1852, at Elving-
ton Hall, Yorkshire, s. of late C. Sherwood Newman and Countess de Rosa Y. Robyns ; m. 1st, 1874, Anne Falkner, of Farnham ; 2nd, 1900,
Ethel Finch. Kduc. : Sherborne Liibeck ; Harrow. Educated for army ; left for France and went through siege of Paris, 1870-71, being decorated by M a r e c h a 1 Trochu ; served with Don Carlos in Spain and afterwards with General Gordon in Egypt ; in South Africa, 1877 ; Zululand Campaign, 1879-80 ; present at Isandlwhana, Ginginhlou, relief of Etshowe Ulundi ; first Transvaal war 1880-81 ; Basuto land service, 1882; Madagascar with Gen. Willoughby ; Zanzibar and Central Africa, 1884-91 ; in Matabeleland, 1894 - 98 ; Intelligence Officer, Rhodesia Horse ; Staff officer to Acting Administrator through native war, 1896 : has been special war correspondent for the " Times," " Pall Mall
Gazette," "Standard" and "Daily Mail " ; left for the East in 1900 ; travelled in Ceylon, Straits, China, Japan and Philippines ; appointed English
instructor, Russian Naval Staff, Port Arthur, 1902 ; witnessed first naval attacks of Japanese, Feb. 8, 1904 ; travelled through Manchuria with Russians as special correspondent ; appointed to bring out first Russian Journal in Far East The China Review," which stilt ; has been a constant con tributor to English Magazines and  Periodicals; is P.P.G.S.W. of  Freemasons, D.C. Detor&tfont ."  Madagascar 1st class ; Dannebrog 3rd class ; French Medal for Valour Egyptian Medal ; Khedive's bronze star ; South African Medal with clasp ; Rhodesian Medal. Publication* : "In Zululand with the British " ; " With the Boers in the Transvaal " ; " The Basuto and their Country" ; " South African Stories"; " Matabeleland." Recreations: Riding, shooting, philately. Address: Tientsin, North China ; Royal Geographical Society, London ; 12,
Perham Road, West Kensington, London."
Back to top Go down
24th

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:08 am

Mr Walkers a member of that forum!
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 pm

It's Simon, please :-)

And, yes, I've thrown the net wide on this one - prompted by a question that aroused my curiosity on a TMP board.

The biography above is the best/only one that seems to be available (from "Who's Who in the Far East 1906-07) but its sources and accuracy are unclear - seems "Noggs" was a bit of a cad who embellished his CV shamelessly!

I'm sure that there must be more to be found, but it'll be in primary documents and sources rather than the more readily available material.
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I assume that F.K.G.S. should be F.R.G.S. - their archives at Kensington Gore may hold something.
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:41 am

I've contacted the RGS, as well as the Danish Embassy (regarding his claim to have been a member of the Danneborg order) and Reuters, to see if they have anything on him.

I wonder what Noggs was up to in South Africa between 1875 and 1879, when he suddenly pops back into view as 'special correspondent' as we know.
Back to top Go down
wentworth

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Interesting to note, Charles Henry Newman-Norris served with the Rifle Brigade during the Great War. He died on the 30th of July 1916. He was the son of Henry Sherwood and Lavinia Newman-Norris. His Commonwealth War Graves record is of interest as it states that He resigned a position in TIENTSIN to join up; he was refused five times?????
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Now that IS interesting - likely to be a nephew (there's already been a suggestion that the Newman family 'adopted' the Norris name for inheritance purposes, which would explain the difference in name) but I wonder how he ended up in Tientsin with dissolute old Uncle Charles - how could we uncover the reasons for his being repeatedly turned down?
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Could this be referring to our Mr Newman!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Source:The Correspondence of G.E. Morrison: 1895-1912. 1
 By George Ernest Morrison

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s1Quxl-svwgC&pg=PA299&lpg=PA299&dq=papers+past+norris+newman&source=bl&ots=QKeBoIHcHn&sig=Blky0SFepl3quxUrz_xmUc54nkk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YxkEUrvBMMPP0AXgioGgDQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=papers%20past%20norris%20newman&f=false
Page 299
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

That's our man - up to his eyes in debt, having embezzled civil funds in Aliwal, being funded by the Russians to foment ant-Japanese sentiment amongst the Chinese and outraging polite expat society in Tientsin, all in a couple of paragraphs!
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Is there anything else you need, or does that answer your question.
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Littlehand,

I'd love to see a biography of this increasingly interesting character, who makes Harry Flashman look like a paragon of virtue so far - there's so much still to be uncovered about him: so far, it looks like he fled England in 1875 (aged 23) after being sued and bankrupted, he then suddenly pops up as a war correspondent in 1879 (so what did he do in the intervening period - he claims to have been with Gordon in the Sudan?), various escapades in Basutoland and Mashonaland before disappearing again to the Far East (after some unfortunate misunderstanding about municipal funds in South Africa), where he's in the employ of the Ruskies, back in debt and consorting with loose women. Somewhere along the line his nephew joins him in China, and eventually falls in Flanders in 1916.

So, the original question has unearthed even more questions that even I imagined it would!
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Glad you said that, gives me something to get me teeth into. By the way, interesting discussion you have started Salute 
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Delighted to hear it Littlehand, and thanks! There's various bits of intelligence spread across 3 forums so far (this one, TMP and Victorian Wars). Feel free to drop me a line direct if anything needs clarification on what we have discovered so far.

Are there any South African based members of the Forum who could investigate the Bulawayo connection (including how his stepson ended up as a farmer there), and the financial irregularities in Aliwal North that, I suspect, prompted his departure to the Far East c 1900?

BTW, where "Up North" are you based? I recently moved "Up North" as well - just outside Sheffield, to be precise.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 pm

I was up north, when I first join, now in the midlands. Someone in-doors wanted to be nearer her familey: Rolling Eyes 

You will have to wait for the Cricket to ends before our Coloinal cousins get involved.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm

This could hold some information on Newman.

http://eprints.ru.ac.za/2343/1/HORN-MA-TR87-18.pdf
Back to top Go down
wentworth

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Charles Henry Newman-Norris, Rifle Brigade, whether this is the same man or not, but a Charles H.Norris-Newman leaves these shores aboard the S.S. Pembrokeshire on the 16th April 1910 bound for Shanghai. "Confusing is'nt it Dutchy."
Back to top Go down
sjwalker51

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:03 am

So that's young Charles, on his way to meet up with Uncle Chas. in Tientsin. There are no "Norris-Newman"s or "Newman-Norris"s to be found in a quick search of the 1901 and earlier census records, though "Lavinia Newman" (presumably his mother, and more easily found than his father) can be found in Fulham and Southwark.

Do we have any professional researchers/genealogists amongst our number who would be prepared to do a bit of work on this? I think the Elvington local history group is already on the case for me!
Back to top Go down
Keithchr

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:03 am

Hi - I am an amateur genealogist. I hope to help you in your quest for the truth about Noggs.
Here are copies of his two marriage certificates. One in Streatham, one in Japan
Let me know if you need more information...

Cheers

Keith

Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"   Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Keith welcome to the forum.. Stick around I'm very sure your skills will be called upon many times, if you have the time. We have a lot of unsolved issues, in the " DId they or Didn't they take part in the Zulu War of 1879"
Back to top Go down

Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879) :: THE ONE'S THE HISTORY BOOKS FORGOT-