WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Captain Walter Stafford NNC medals
Today at 11:42 am by rusteze

» A bit more fun research!
Today at 11:22 am by rusteze

» Trooper H. Boik (NMP) and Dartnell patrol Isandlwana, 22 January 1879
Today at 8:55 am by whizz-bang

» Norris-Newman
Yesterday at 12:52 pm by Kenny

» Some fun research
Yesterday at 7:47 am by Frank Allewell

» Isipezi Hill
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 pm by ALLENG

» Zulu shield question
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 am by SRB1965

» Buyer beware!..
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:47 pm by xhosa2000

» Colonel Farquhar Glennie
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm by SRB1965

» A number of SAGS for Sale at C Dixons
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm by xhosa2000

» Zulu Arts & Crafts Event.
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 pm by 24th foot

» Sir Henry Evelyn Wood VC, GCB, GCMG
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm by xhosa2000

» Captain Walter Stafford, 1st Natal Native Contingent,
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm by ADMIN

» 32nd Regiment of Foot (Prince of Cornwalls Own)
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 am by Lord_Chelmsford

» The Zulu War Monument, "Isandhlwana" Day.
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:31 pm by 90th

Captain Ronald G.E. Campbell, Coldstream Guards. killed at Hlobane
[Mac & Shad] Captain Ronald G.E. Campbell, Coldstream Guards --killed at Hlobane (Mac and Shad) (Isandula Collection)
Rob Caskie at a Showcase Event 2014
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

xhosa2000

Frank Allewell

rusteze

John Young

Tee

SRB1965

24th foot

ALLENG

Kenny

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks Pete. agree
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Anytime!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 pm

LH Check e-mail. I'm happy to say it's Younghusband!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm

i said so from the off, think i gave some one food
for thought, well done littlehand.
Back to top Go down
sas1

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Younghusband agree  Littlehand sent you a PM!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:08 am

JY over to you Salute .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:48 am

piers morgan Suspect .
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm

LH amazing. The mouth changes slightly. But it's the eyes for me that confirms its Younghusband!
Back to top Go down
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Never have I see the likes of that before. I'm going with Younghusband.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 am

Les,

It was off to Ibiza for a retirement do.

Littlehand,

Back now and still unconvinced, no I don't have an IPad.

Can no-one see the eyes are of a totally different colour?

In all the photographs I have seen of Younghusband he has very dark eyes, and very dark skin.  I would surmise inherited from his mother who was of Portuguese origin but raised in India.  Her family appears to have links in Goa and Calcutta.

There's an excellent photograph of Younghusband in his Lieutenant's uniform reproduced in The Silver Wreath facing page 48.  I would suggest that those who are convinced that Isandula's photograph is Younghusband to take a look at that photograph and tell me what colour eyes they think Reginald Younghusband had?

Nor is it the same uniform in both photographs, that is not to say he didn't have two full dress tunics, but that would have been a rather unnecessary expense for a Lieutenant.

I did query with you earlier ...Younger in which photograph the Malkin photograph or the MacKinnon & Shadbolt photograph?
 But you haven't responded to the question.

Kenny,

I don't know what access you have to the photographs at Brecon, but if Bill permits that one to be shown on here it would settle things for me.

Isandula,  (RB)

Any joy with buttons & buckles?  If not can you please just do a close-up on the eyes of Liverpool photograph?

Thanks,

JY

Last edited by John Young on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong spelling! Late night!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 am

Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am

Les,

Based on that image, what colour eyes do you think he had?

JY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 am

Hi John, its not the eyes only!
i think your spot on re skin
type. the other guy now i look
more closely has that pasty
white complexion, and if they
were both stood in front of us
today we would be looking at
different individuals.based on
the image and the more i do
i think YH has a distinct
Mediterranean appearance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 am

soz JY meant to say, YH eyes
would definitely have been
Brown in TSW its plain
as day! dark eyes staring straight
into the camera. xhosa
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 am

Les,

I glad I'm not the only one seeing brown eyes and a dark complexion, as opposed to blue eyes and a pasty, pale complexion!

JY
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 am

John

If it helps - Capt RY departed Southampton aboard the Tenton with a draft of one sergeant and 80 soldiers on 15th May 1876 to join 1/24th (from WO25/3509).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 am

yeah JY, got that. but it is a good
looky likey, so who is he?.

littlehand. nice software:D. but the
eyes...complexion. scratch . im
interested in your thoughts on this
matter. xhosa
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Well the fact, the younger photo was probably taken in England, so allow for English climate. The other photo was taken many years later and possibly in a hot climate.  So you have to take into account Age & Climate.

Regarding the colour of eyes is that relevant as is on black and white images. For me it’s the shape of the eyes.
Look at the left eye, the retina seems to be higher than the right on both photos.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Littlehand,

His irises are not going to change colour even if it photographed sepia-tone.  In all the identified photographs of Younghusband he has brown eyes.  Whereas in Isandula's photograph the sitter has pale eyes - blue/grey.

If as you suggest that photograph depicts a younger man, it could only date from 1874 until 1876, which puts Younghusband aged between 30 and 32 years of age, yet when he was photographed in 1871, between three and five years earlier, he doesn't look too different to the well-known published photograph of him.

The photograph in The Silver Wreath also depicts him as a Lieutenant, and there is no way that I am seeing the same man in that photograph that appears in Isandula's Liverpool photograph.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Kenny,

Thanks for that I have seen the copies, for Tenton read Teuton.

Isandula,

Anything yet?

Regards,

JY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:03 pm

i'm just assuming that its a
carte de visit or that type,in
which case the resolution
could be good to outstanding.
xhosa
Back to top Go down
impi

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Xhosa's image of Younghusband.
Back to top Go down
impi

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Looking at all of the photographs in this thread, There is something not quite right with his left eye, as LH points out. Looks like some sort of abnormality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Looking at all of the photographs in this thread, There is something not quite right with his left eye, as LH points out. Looks like some sort of abnormality.

impi, its a fault on the image.
not..his eye.its not my image.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 pm

and you said ' all of the images ' .err no!
stop reaching and keep it real. impi.get
get a grip.barrack room lawyer, snap.so
am i. but i take as my ace up the sleeve.
rodger the dodger..comic.google him, and
then cut and paste.No No No 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.   

Back to top Go down

Mystery Photo? Can you put a name to this face.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: LINKS & IMAGES RELATING TO THE ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: