WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyToday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Rifle from Intombi drift? Bar_leftRifle from Intombi drift? BarRifle from Intombi drift? Bar_right 
Dash
Rifle from Intombi drift? Bar_leftRifle from Intombi drift? BarRifle from Intombi drift? Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
Matthew Turl
Tig Van Milcroft
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyToday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Rifle from Intombi drift?

Go down 
+2
Neil Aspinshaw
terrylee
6 posters
AuthorMessage
terrylee

terrylee

Rifle from Intombi drift? Empty
PostSubject: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 pm

This rifle was recovered in Zululand in about 1970 and has been in my possession since October, 1972. It is a military Martini Henry Mk.I, Second pattern, dated 1872. It bears no demilitarisation markings and as with most rifles from tribal areas was obviously neglected and is very worn. In fact the woodwork is worn to the extent that the regimental marking on the butt is no longer visible.

Following retirement, with more time to concentrate on such matters, I decided to see whether modern technology would be able to resurrect the markings.  Following a fairly involved two-stage process, this proved possible. The result is as shown in the photograph. This rifle is marked to the 80th Regiment, rack number 484.

Could this be one of the rifles captured by the Zulus from Captain Moriarty's men at Meyer's Drift on the Intombi River, or even at Isandhlwana where the regiment had also suffered casualties? It is possible, but unfortunately this can never be proved. According to the regimental museum the issue records no longer exist.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by terrylee on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add a second photograph.)
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Terry
I have a copy of an article written about this from about 2007, presume that was yours "T.W.?", forwarded to me by Robert Davidson.

I have mentioned it before on the forum, IMO it is the only 100% correct rifle for the period, being a Mk1 3rd Approved pattern (if you discount the 2nd pattern" as only having the locking bolt removed.).
Back to top Go down
http://www.martinihenry.org
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Neil, Yes, I wrote that article. it was published in Magnum. Rob Davidson actually supplied the second stage of the process used to resurrect the regimental marking and processed the enhanced version which I attached in my previous post.  

The rifle is marked Mk.I as was the case in the second version of the Mk.I, but was obviously upgraded to the third version by replacement of the brass pin with the steel split pin. Although one can still see where it was fitted, the safety catch was also removed.

I visited the Intombi Drift last month and attach a photo as it was then (Dry season) Also found Captain Moriarty's grave.    

Last edited by terrylee on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Attached second photograph.)
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Terry. the fact the rifle had not got the STF post 1881 marking does provide evidence that it was "lost" before then, likewise the fact its not been upgraded, which despite of what the official line accepted line was was only just beginning to be implemented in 1878, "to regiments at home"  and was not completed fully until 1883.

Is the action internally two part, tumbler and tumbler rest?

Did you get chance to have a look at the AZW earthwork fortification in the German mission at the rear of the Cemetary.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 am

Neil, the trigger mechanism is the early unmodified version.

Unfortunately, we did not know about the fort and being in rather a hurry did not explore the area.

If you are interested also took photos of other graves including the surgeon who was killed.

Last edited by terrylee on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added second photograph)
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 am

Terry
I have the grave images thank you, last time I was was there I was drying out, having leapt into three feet of water on the little Intobe to recover some pottery, which after scrambling back up the bank, read oven and dishwasher safe, ah well mbilini obviously didn't have a Bosch lol.

The fact it has the two part tumbler is compelling enough for me, as you say, no 100% fact a zulu pick up, could be 1880's first Boer conflict, but never the less it was lost prior to 1881, and thats as close as any I have recorded.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 8:02 am

Sorry Neil, but laughing like hell about your unexpected dip. I had the same when I was taking a photo just upstream and the bank collapsed.
Very Happy 
Still laughing, dishwasher safe Very Happy 

Cheers
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 am

Sadly we'll never know the truth. However, it is not possible that the rifle was lost by the 80th Regiment during the First Boer War since they were not in South Africa at the time.
Back to top Go down
RRAC

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Terry,

So what was the "fairly involved two-stage process" used to reveal the regimental number?  I have a 1875  Mk I (updated to Mk II) with far less provenance and in much rougher shape on which the regimental numbers were obliterated by scratching or sanding.  The possibility of a Zulu War connection is remote, but I am curious to learn what I can of its service.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you or any other members might provide,

RRAC
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 am

The method I followed was the combination of two separate processes recommended by friends. I applied them using one as preparation for the other. It worked for me and is as follows:

1) Vigorously rub down the appropriate spot with diluted boiled linseed oil to loosen the ingrained grime.

Then gently apply 0000 steel wool rubbing along the grain to remove foreign matter above any vestigial impressions that may remain.

2) If faint markings appear: For convenience then remove the butt. Scan the markings using a printer linked to a P.C. Then enhance the image with an appropriate program.

Obviously, you will need to know what spot to process. To my experience the regimental markings on the butts of British military Martini Henry rifles are all in exactly the same place. Should you need any assistance in this respect, just let me know. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am

Here is the link to specific Regimental markings to be found on Martini's between 1874-1881, then post '81 markings when regiments changed from numerical to area codes from my website.

http://www.martinihenry.org/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_68&product_id=124

The majority of Martini's being returned to Weedon for inspection and re-classification had the old Regimental marks "obliterated", which normally involved the scoring through with a line.

In respect to Terry's rifle, its one of the only true examples I have come across that has a very good lineage to the Anglo Zulu wars, naturally there must be others, but their history has been "obliterated". one could argue what are the odds?, well by 1877 450,000 and 179,000 MkI and MkII rifles had been manufactured, and by late 1877 275,000 were in Store at Weedon, with the depot "breaking up" on average 2500 condemned Martini rifles P.A. Then Take in to consideration the 37,000 MkII's converted to Martini Henry Artillery Carbine MkII in 1893, the 57,000 MkII converted to Martini Enfield MkII rifles in 1895, then the 87,000 converted to Martini Metford and Martini Enfield Carbines, the odds shorted....alot.
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am

Sadly I only have the one rifle with markings which can be traced back to the Zulu War. However, I find the later butt markings very interesting in their own right. As Neil said these were often deleted upon reissue by being barred out. Fortunately, I find that by using a magnifying glass these markings can often still be made out.

Here I have identified my Mk.I/II as having been issued to the Iniskilling Fusiliers. The original markings of my Mk.II appear to be either THD or FHD which was replaced by I CCY. Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to identify either and any leads would be much appreciated

I had more luck with a commercial Mk.II type Martini Henry which had Cape Government markings on the action. On the butt it had stamped G.F.M.R., which following some difficulty was traced to an obscure unit  called the Great Fish Mounted Rifles.  

This is an area of investigation which adds much to the significance of an individual rifle. Obviously, conjecture as to which battles they may have then been involved in sadly remains that and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Cromwell

Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Just on a side note I saw a film the other night about the ww1 and some squaddies were drilling with what looked liked a martini Henry (probably Enfield). were these weapon's ever used at the front, maybe a shortage of Lee Enfields at the beginning of the war or issued to the TA.
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 6:45 am

When I was at school in the Natal Midlands in the 1950's, some of the rifles used by the cadets for drilling were Martini-Henrys. Presumably this applied at other schools as well. School cadets in Natal became extinct at a later date, probably for political reasons, and I was told that all the rifles in school magazines were handed over to the South African Police for safe storage. I wonder what became of what must have been a wonderful assemblage of historical firearms?

Brett
Back to top Go down
terrylee

terrylee

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am

I, too, was at school in Natal during the 1950s, Pietermaritzburg to be precise. The Junior cadets drilled with Martini Metford and Martini Enfield carbines. There were also a few Martini Henry rifles cut down to carbine length. The seniors used cut down Lee Enfields and Lee Metfords. I was on the armoury staff and had plenty of time to examine our stock.

The cadet rilfles were deactivated in the 1960s, but some appear to have escaped undamaged since I have several operational DP examples in my collection. My single reduced length Martini Henry is stamped "Merchiston" on the butt. Merchiston is a Pietermaritzburg preparatory school.
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: Rifle from Intombi drift?   Rifle from Intombi drift? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

Terry
Many thanks for clearing up the identity of the rifles we used in those far-off days.
Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down

Rifle from Intombi drift?
Page 1 of 1