WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Mr Samuel Wassall V.C

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ADMIN

PostSubject: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:25 pm

General Order No. 23

Pietermarizburg

30th July 1879

The Queen has been most graciously please to signify her intention to confer the decoration of the Victoria Cross upon Private S Wassall 80th Regiment for his gallant conduct in having at the risk of his own life saved that of Private T Westwood of the same regiment on the 23rd January 1879 when the camp at Isandhlwana was taken by the enemy.

Private Wassall retreated towards the Buffalo river, in which he saw a comrade struggling and apparently drowning. He rode to the bank dismounted leaving his horse on the Zulu side rescued the man from the river and again mounted his horse dragging Private Westwood across the river under a heavy shower of bullets.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Photo's posted with the kind permisson of Mr Rob Wassall. ( All information copyright)

For more information click on link to Rob Wassall Website. All you need to about SAMUEL WASSALL V.C. http://rwassell.com/samindex.html

Information on Sanuel Wassall can also be found in the Pictorial catalogue of AZW graves section on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
John

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Captain William Barton was an Irish soldier of fortune who had previous fought the Indians in South America. He arrived in South Africa and raised over 200 Basutos, who were formed into a irregular cavalry unit. He volunteered his services to the Natal Horse and was given command of the Sikali Squadron. He is confirmed as being present at the Battle of Isandhlwana. During the early stages of the engagement he was ordered to take two troops onto the plateau to investigate the sighting of Zulus and clear them. Barton is later quoted as saying “My mounted men really fought well at their first charge and until all their ammunition was exhausted, they were then compelled to fall back on the camp, where they sought a fresh supply of ammunition”. Seeing that the overall situation was deteriorating, he ordered his men to make a fighting retreat towards the Buffalo River. He was now on the flank and moved his men to cover the river crossing, he then retired firing and was the last man to cross. Many of the retreating men owing their lives to Barton’s actions.

The following is Barton’s own account and statement that led to the award of the Victoria Cross to Private Wassall of the 8th Foot. The original hand written report is held in the National Archives. “On the 22nd January 1879 when the camp of Col Glyn’s column had been taken by the enemy,

"I was retreating towards the Buffalo River to cross into Natal. As I approached the river, a man of the mounted Infantry was riding in front of me (This was Pte Wassall) and I also saw at the same time another man of the mounted infantry struggling in the river and he called out his comrades name, he was apparently drowning. The Zulus were at this time firing at our people from above us, others were down on the river stabbing others of our people on both sides of where I was. The man of the mounted infantry who rode down in front of me dismounted left his horse on the Zulu side and sprang into the river to save his comrade. I consider this man to have performed a most gallant and courageous act, in trying to save his comrade at the almost certain risk of his own life. I crossed the river myself about the same time and I did not think that it possible that either of these 2 men could have escaped alive. Indeed I spoke some days afterwards, to Lieut Walsh of the mounted infantry of the circumstances which I had witnessed and spoke of it to him, as evidence of my seen two of his men lost at the Buffalo River. I have this day identified in the Hospital here, the man whom I saw struggling in the river, and I have also given Lieut Walsh a description of the horse which I saw the other man of the mounted infantry riding in front of me and from which he dismounted to save his comrade”. Signed by Wm Barton Captain dated 11th February 1879. Captain Barton had been engaged on a 6 month contract which was common to all Officers of the Natal native contingent and in May appears to have slipped away once more into obscurity,"
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:55 am

Back to top Go down
24th

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Source: Black Country Bugle.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 pm

From Heroes of our Day - Recent Winners of the V.C. by William Richards, 1892.

Littlehand,

Do you have the Chatterbox Volume details for the engraving you posted on  29th April 2011?

Thanks in anticipation.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:28 pm

John. I will have to go back through my links.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr Samuel Wassall V.C   

Back to top Go down

Mr Samuel Wassall V.C
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: THE ONE'S THE HISTORY BOOKS FORGOT-
Jump to: