WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Bonsoir

For the U.S. Army that faces Native Americans between 1850 and 1890 have had indications in % of the officers, NCO's and soldiers from their origins, American or for each European nations, as a % of Americans, as a % of Irish, as a % of German ect ...

This kind of% the for each nationality in the white colonial troops Involved in the Zulu war existed ? ...

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Ethnic % Of the White Colonial Troops    Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:10 am

Hi Rascal .
I can't give you an official % of Europeans who served in the Colonial forces as Officers and NCO'S but it would be very high .
I've read that many of the NCO's in the Colonial Regiments were foreigners who were enlisted as they couldnt get anyone else to do so .
90th
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 am

Hi Giant Marsupial

Thank you anyway ...

Yes, it reminds me of the U.S. Army or the Foreign Legion during the same period in 1879 ...

It seems that there was more in the units of Transvall and they were paid less than the men in the Natal units ? Why??

It is a pity that nobody owns the indications, it would have been interesting ...

There must be a lot of whites born in South Africa in the Natal units ...

And perhaps, than other formed ethnic units ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Ethnic % in white colonial troops    Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Rascal .
I seem to remember reading a while back that the majority of the troops with Custer and his 7th Cavalry when it was defeated
at The Little Big Horn on June 25 ? 1876 were either mostly Irish or Italian with some Swedes and British as well , one of his trumpeter's , Martini ( I think that was his name ? ) survived , as he was sent by Custer to find Reno from memory , spoke very little english !!  Rolling Eyes 
LGM  Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 am

Hi giant marsupial

In the U.S. Army they were all nations of europe + Canada and Australia... Wink 

Rascal the Pascal
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Pascal,

Do have Norris-Newman's book?

If so look at the casualty rolls for Hlobane in Appendix G.

Germans; Frenchmen; a Hollander & a Norwegian - foreign enough for you?

John Y.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Ethnic % in white colonial troops    Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:22 am

Hi JY .
There was an Australian , one that I know of who was KIA Hlobane , Archibald Stewart , from Sth Aust , I've posted here the details of his death , he was , from memory , wounded , then thrown over the edge of the mountain as was witnessed by others
90th  Salute  .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 am

John et Gary

Not I do not know this book but I read somewhere that the Frontier Light Horse and Weatherley's Border Horses incorporated some French because"Loulou", was to see them in a hospital (this was posted on this forum, but where this?) because they were survivors of Hlobane and Kambula ...

I also know that Bromhead was born in Versailles and the two Degacher brothers were Half-French ...

Pascal
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Ethnic % Of the White Colonial Troops    Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Rascal .
The Charles Norris Newman book is titled ' In Zululand With The British Throughout The War Of 1879 ' . I dont know if it was printed in French , but I think its an excellent book , well worth having  Very Happy   Merry Christmas 
Cheers LGM  Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:14 am

My dear friend, if it is not French, it does not bother me, but before you buy a book you have to be certain that you'll find in what you are looking for  Wink Merry Christmas 
Cheers PTR  Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 am

Dailleurs there is only one book in French on the Zulu war and it seems he is archi-zero ... Very Happy Merry Christmas 

Cheers  Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: NNC    Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Rascal .
I was reading a Keith Smith book yesterday and he stated that the NNC were supposed to be 100 men per company ,
In command was 1 Capt , 2 Lt's , 3 Sgt's & 3 Cpls , all to be white personal .
90th  Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 am

Oui Merci et surtout Joyeux noël Merry Christmas 
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops    Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Merci Rascal  Merry Christmas 
90th  Salute 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:40 am

De rien  Merry Christmas 

Rascal  Salute 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .   

Back to top Go down

Ethnic % in the white colonial troops .
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: COLONIAL REGIMENTS WHICH SERVED IN THE ZULU WAR OF 1879-
Jump to: