WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

SRB1965

ymob

xhosa2000

1879graves

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Daily Mail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:49 am

I guess there will be a lot of maybe's in this sale. Ie the Shield may have been used in the Battle of Isandlwana. For that kind of money, I would want more than maybe's,
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:04 am

Dave
 agree  exactly
Back to top Go down
Younghusband

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am

I wonder what provenance will come with each item - the items shown pictured look super - I hope that everyone with a knobkerrie doesn't start engraving various names of battles and year on the shaft 'thus proving where they were used in action'
Back to top Go down
SergioD

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 am

thanks the daily mail - that will just add more interest and increase the prices. Provenance is interesting - I suppose the provenance going forward will be the Sale catalogue, the previous owner - he was a well respected collector and the fact that Adrian Greaves has catalogued the items.

ultimately like in all auctions caveat emptor- there are some great pieces in this auction - and hopefully given the depth and breadth of the collection - we should be able to fill some gaps without getting crushed!!

Sergio
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Daily Mail    Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Agreed Sergio , the interest has certainly grown I'd think , things maybe a little expensive now . Ian Knight was also involved
in cataloging the items , you'd think if there were any fakes Greaves or Knight would pick them up , as it is from the Estate of a leading collector who has collected these items over many years provenance is a moot point to a degree . These items were readily available 30 yrs ago for a tenner as Ian Knight once stated , no provenance was required back then and not needed .
It's only in the last few years people have wanted provenance to stop the fraudsters , since interest in the war has risen dramatically in that period . Will be interesting to see what some of these items finish up going for  Salute .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Don't really know what to think about prices. Artifacts in recent auctions haven't done well but books have gone through the roof. Two books currently in print fetched 65 US at Antiquarians Auction. The shops in Zulu land where selling the same for R320.00, around 30US. I do think the prices that are being bandied around are pretty high. I bought a set of old fighting sticks and a knobkerrie last week for R3000.00, around 180GBP. And they are original.
I wish I could attend the Auction live.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
SergioD

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Lucky you Frank - you are in the right place - unfortunately in leafy Hertfordshire - we dont come across many Zulu artifacts. Maybe you could set up a complimentary app selling Zulu artifacts  You need to study mo 

Back to top Go down
24th

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 pm

When you consider a Zulu war medal, would sell for more,it had providence. I think the buyer would have to make his own mind up, as to wether or not theses artifacts were used in the Zulu 1879. Is Ian Knight or Adrian Greaves providece enough, to meet these prices.  scratch 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Don't really know what to think about prices. Artifacts in recent auctions haven't done well but books have gone through the roof.... thank you springbok, i have never been to an
auction in my life, so far! so any kind of barometer re how well/not books are
doing is of interest to me!  Salute 
Back to top Go down
kopie

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Provenance is key.
If the items had come from the descendants of say, Lord Chelmsford and had been known to have been family heirlooms, then the provenance would be good.
Unless these items come with provenance such as receipts and identity of previous owner(s), they are worth little more than the intrinsic value of the item.
Perhaps i will buy a few of these spears myself, I am sure my old carpentry skills would be up to carving in something like, Ulundi, 1879, and bob's your uncle - item increases in value to some gullible buyer. (I would not really do that, but there are plenty who would and will).
These items are common as brass in SA; they are almost certainly of the period they claim to be, but that is all.
Neil Aspinshaw may be able to point us to some 1879 era Martinin Henry's, but it would be soome stretch to say that MH was used during the AZW. No proof. Sorry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daily Mail   

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: