WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:13 am by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 Bar_leftWho was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 BarWho was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 Bar_right 
John Young
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 Bar_leftWho was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 BarWho was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Kenny
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Dash
SRB1965
robgdad
EOA
New topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am by lydenburg

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Who was in charge at iSandlwana

Go down 
+14
90th
Ray63
John
Ulundi
sas1
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Dave
littlehand
6pdr
24th
impi
Mr M. Cooper
ymob
Frank Allewell
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:04 pm

6pdr.

agree 
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Ah sorry chaps did I wake you up?
6pr
Sorry should have illustrated my point a bit more. IF the attack had not happened ( Yes Les It did and I do know your a realist but hear me out). If the attack had not happened and Durnford had just gone cruising of into nowhere Chelmsford would have boiled him in oil. So definitely not a bridge to far just a tad of extended supposition is all to illustrate the possible consequences of disobeying yet again.
Les
My contentions are not put out there to denigrate Durnford, he was an extraordinary man indeed, but to try and get to the man himself.
Martin
The above goes to you as well as Les, I do know your support for the man. My comments are in no way intended to diminish that but really just to explore who he had become and by extention his fallibilities,
I do believe that in the Bushmans pass incident he lost an enormous amount of credibility with Natalian Society and that affected him to a great degree, same with his stance on the disputed territories.
He was without doubt hell bent on improving that image and that says a lot again about his qualities. But in eulogising the man we cannot bury the faults or overlook them.
Martin I don't expect every body to agree with me, I had a pm saying: " you come in through some F***ing strange doors, one day one is going to close and bounce you up the A**se, but not this one."
That's from a well respected Author that's given me hell on some of my more outlandish thoughts. ( Outlandish Me???? )
But your last paragraph is the key one and says it all about Chelmsford, lousy communicator.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:08 pm

agree Think out of the box.  Salute 
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Springy.

It's like I said regarding Chelmsford's family motto.

Cor Enim Mauris.

agree 
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 pm

springbok9 wrote:
agree Think out of the box.  Salute 

Thinking out of the box is invaluable because it forces us to confront our assumptions.* WRT Isandlwana, that's the only way any new insights are to be gained at this late date. And even if there are no new insights to be gained, it's better than Sudoku.

Party on, Springy!  Salute 

* That said, I can't see separating Durnford's actions (sallying forth from the camp) from the benefits of his actions (discovering 20K+ enemies encamped a few miles away.) That's just not cricket!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Les, I hope that you got Dave's permission before you agreed with 6pdr Very Happy

'Non te seducat a hoax walensium'. 'Omnis Honor et Gloria in XXIV'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Send private message
6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana Today at 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Les, I hope that you got Dave's permission before you agreed with 6pdr Very Happy

Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As i said, its enough that i say anything, and it gets peoples back up!
i really do ' let it go ' when the exchanges are over! i never hold a gridge,
its just tennis and virtual tennis at that..back and forth..but on the whole
i have no regrets.. i just think i am an opinionated bore at times, but i can
live with that. nice is as nice does... Very Happy   Salute   Joker 
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

6pd
Happy to discuss football with an American but not a chance cricket !
 Very Happy 
PS Did your parcel ever arrive?
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm

springbok9 wrote:

PS Did your parcel ever arrive?

Oh indeed, and I am most grateful. I did send you a PM in that regard weeks ago. Some of my public posts have disappeared into the ether so I suppose that one must have as well. I wrote that I keep your vistas up on my screen for inspiration. I was amazed to see how much sheer work went into doing all those captures -- especially the ones from elevation. Invaluable stuff...simply invaluable...particularly for my uses!
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi springy.

I have been reading through your post again (@ 10.56).

In it you say,

"if the battle plan was still in action, provided of course that LC was also following it, but was he? If the answer is no he wasn't then Durnford was left with the order of the day, which as we know ordered him up to iSandlwana and nothing more".

Well if LC was not following the battle plan that he had arranged with Durnford, why didn't he inform Durnford of this, and also why didn't he let Durnford know what he was supposed to do on arrival at the camp? Did he really intend to leave Durnford guessing as to what he was supposed to do once he got to the camp, did he really intend that Durnford and Pulleine would be debating who would be in command of the camp? LC knew that Durnford was the senior officer and that if he remained at the camp he would be deemed as being in command. I don't think that LC would have wanted an officer of engineers in command of imperial infantry, and if LC didn't really trust Durnford, then why would he allow this, it just doesn't seem to fit.

Durnford's orders did not inform him that he was no longer required to proceed in the plan against the Matyanas, they didn't tell him to take command, they didn't tell him to reinforce or support Pulleine, because if they had, this would have affectively given command of the camp to Durnford with him being the senior officer, and I don't think that LC wanted that. So why didn't LC make it clear in the order of the 22nd what he really wanted Durnford to do?

Didn't Durnford send a messenger (Shepstone?), to LC on the 21st to enquire about any fresh orders? Is there any record of what was said between LC and Shepstone, or is there any record of any orders that Shepstone took back to Durnford, as there always seems to be a dark area about this, and I cannot recall anyone mentioning finding any orders regarding the 21st on Colonel Durnford's body (unless of course they were found but hidden away and later destroyed), makes you wonder doesn't it, can you shed any light on this Frank?

Cheers mate.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Martin
Yep its a 'two pipe question'. Unfortunatly commands are never given in the negative, ie: don't do this and don't do that etc. Just the positive ie: Do this! Therefore as far as Chelmsford was concerned he had issued the correct order: Reinforce the camp. Unfortunatly it didn't get delivered the way he wanted. And as far as he was concerned for a goodly time afterwards he believed he had indeed issued the correct order.
Shepstone did go up to iSandlwana on the 21st, he was seen there and his presence noted, There is speculation that he never got to see Chelmsford as he was out scouting the Nqutu plateau. But there is no record of any orders being passed.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Speingbok wrote:
Therefore as far as Chelmsford was concerned he had issued the correct order: Reinforce the camp. Unfortunatly it didn't get delivered the way he wanted. And as far as he was concerned for a goodly time afterwards he believed he had indeed issued the correct order.

As we have been saying for god knows how long, perhaps he will listen to you.  Question Exclamation 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 pm

He did quite well, thank you very much!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down
sas1

sas1

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Source!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Those that know...do...ask nice, manners please!
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi Springy.

When Crealock interfered and said to LC that Clery should not be writing orders to a senior officer (column commander), and LC agreed and said that he (Crealock) should write it, surely should LC himself not have read the order that Crealock had written to check its contents and then sign it before it was sent? If he had read it first, he would have noticed the discrepancy and had Crealock write it out again to get it right. So obviously he didn't check it first, does this not show a laxness in LC's professional judgement?

So you mean that Col Durnford got issued with the wrong order, and because LC did not check it before it was sent, he (LC) was under the illusion that the correct order had been sent?

What is so strange about this is that if the so called correct order had been sent, ie; 'reinforce the camp', then LC would know that Durnford was the senior officer and would therefor be regarded as being in command. I find it a little strange that LC would want this after the rebuke he had recently sent to Durnford, surely if he didn't really trust him, would he really want him in command of the remainder of No3 column at the camp? Pulleine had been issued with an order saying that he would be in command of the camp in Glyn's absence, so why would LC also want to tell Durnford to reinforce the camp knowing full well that Durnford was the senior officer and would therefor be deemed as being in command, it doesn't make sense.

Another thing that doesn't make sense, is why would LC send an order back to the camp addressed to Pulleine if he had ordered Durnford up to the camp to reinforce it, when he knew that by doing this Durnford would be deemed as being in command, so why did he not address it to Durnford?

There is something not adding up with all this Frank, and it makes me wonder if it all wasn't part of the web of lies and deceit and the cover up that was arranged by Crealock.

Might well turn into a 'four piper' this mate. Very Happy   

Get that calabash out Springy agree 
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi Les.

Good post @10.34pm.

Someone with 'the little grey cells' has seen the light, it must have been Poirot  agree 
Back to top Go down
Ulundi

Ulundi

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Does it matter if Crealock got upset, because Clery was asked to send the order. Crealock sent the wrong order anyway. Either way, it shouldn't have had any impact on the outcome of the battle. Nothing was happing when, LC left. When Durnford arrived. The situation had changed, both Pulleine and Durnford should have switched to Military mode, not arguing about who was in charge. What Durnford hope to achieved by riding out and meeting the Zulus in the open beats me.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 am

ymob wrote:
springbok9 wrote:
But in the long run was it important or not that Durnford was in charge between 10.30 and 11.30?

Cheers
Bonjour Springbok,
You already know my thought on this specific point...
Cheers.

I do indeed Fredric
Theres been so much discussed that I felt it would be in everyones interest to just put it down for comment.
Maybe you could repost to see what the forums comments would be.

Bonjour,
The question of the orders given to PULLEINE and to DURNFORD is one of the essential key of the problem and was widely discussed on this forum.
However, the question is not what CHELMSFORD wanted, nor what CREALOCK intented, nor what we believe, but it was what PULLEINE and DURNFORD believed'.

Just a recall, the orders given to PULLEINE and DURNFORD were:

-To PULLEINE (given by CLERY on his own initiative):
“You will be in command of the camp during the absence of Colonel GLYN. (…) Act strictly on the defensive. (…) Colonel DURNFORD had been ordered up from RD to reinforce the camp”.
Just before leaving the camp, CLERY went himself to the tent of PULLEINE to ensure that he had got the order. He saw him and verbally repeated what his mission was simply to hold and keep the camp.

-To DURNFORD (given by CREALOCK) :
“You march at once to this camp with all the force you have with you of n°2 column. Major Bengough’s battalion is to move to RD as ordered yesterday. 2/24th Artillery and mounted men with the General and Colonel GLYN move off at once to attack a Zulu force about 10 miles distant”.
The real intentions of Lord CHELMSFORD concerning DURNFORD and his troops were in reality “to reinforce the camp”.CREALOCK misread the instructions of the General.

'When DURNFORD arrived in camp, no one in the camp seriously thought the camp would be attacked' by the whole impi of CETEWAYO.
On this subject, Lt CURLING said: “We none of us had the least idea that the Zulus contempled attacking the camp, and having in the last war often seen equally large bodies of the enemy never dreamed they would come us”.
'The only sounds of gunfire thus far had come from the Direction of CHELMSFORD's advance indicating that is above plan was sound and he was thus engaged with the “Two Matynas”'.
'The likelihood of two separate battles occuring within about ten miles of each other would have seemed remote thus further allaying the fears of an attack on the camp and leading DURNFORD (at least) to interpret the conflicting reports of Zulu movements that morning as part of those engaging CHELMSFORD'.
I recall 'that CHELMSFORD's greatest concern for the beginning of the campaign seems to have been the difficulty percieved in forcing the Zulus to give battle and his mind-set was likely passed down to his commanders'.
If an attack by the whole army of CETEWAYO had been expected at this moment by PULLEINE, he would have adopted a defensive position, 'informed CHELMSFORD and held back DURNFORD'.
'PULLEINE was certainly not stupid.' Zealous, thorough, energic, all adjectives applied at times to PULLEINE by his superiours. (“Zulu Rising” p.320)

'An obvious problem was presented with DURNFORD's arrival, who was in command?'
'Lord CHELSMFORD hasn't issued clear orders to DURNFORD and PULLEINE and that is where the confusion starts' between the members of this forum.

'DURNFORD was a substantive Lieutenant-Colonel; it is possible that he may not have been informed of his brevet promotion to the rank of Colonel on 31st December 1878'.
'Lord CHELMSFORD had left behind in command of the encampment Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel Henry PULLEINE of the 1/24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot.
'PULLEINE's substantive rank was that of Major, so he was outlanked by DURNFORD.'
In accordance with the protocol the protocol, 'while he was present in the camp, DURNFORD was deemed to have taken command of it'. (“Zulu Rising' p.326/327)

COCHRANE leaves little room for doubt on this point: “I entered the Isandula camp with Colonel DURNFORD about 10 a.m., and remained with him as acting staff officer. On arrival he took over command from Colonel PULLEINE (...)”.
So, it's DURNFORD who decided to let Gamdana and his followers leave the camp freely.
It's also him who ordered HIGGINSON to send some natives to the top of Isandhlwana to watch the hills around.
Another example, CAVAYE was sent out to replace the NNC Company which was on picket duty at DURNFORD's instigation (source ESSEX according to CHELMSFORD).
Finally, his “suggestion” to PULLEINE that the men be “stood down”.

PULLEINE who 'was insistant on formally handing over control, including written orders and giving DURNFORD a situation report' (COCHRANE), obviously accepted the authority on him of DURNFORD and gave him the command.
We know that he said to DURNFORD: “I am sorry you have come, as you are senior to me and will of course take command”.
So, PULLEINE directed the report from HIGGINSON towards him.
From an academic point of view, 'it's possible that DURNFORD didn't de facto take command but assumed command because of his presence'  in the respect of the protocol...

In conclusion, 'there was no necessity to order DURNFORD to take command at Isandhlwana: by the fact of his being there and his rank, he was obliged to take command'.
When DURNFORD left the camp, command reverted to PULLEINE in respect of the protocol.
'What is perhaps more intriguing is who was in command when DURNFORD returned from the Donga.(II)'
'The other question, open to debate, is whether DUNRFORD was ordered to proceed to Isandhlwana and remain there'(III).

Cheers
Frédéric

I.E:This “memorendum” of my opinion on this specific question had been “rewritten” from various “notes and sentences” taken on this forum and on the Rorke's Drift forum (often out of their context), essentially from Julian Whybra, Mike Snook  and Springbok.
Apologize to these three authors (and the others) for the “theft”!
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 1:09 am

Ymod wrote:
To PULLEINE (given by CLERY on his own initiative

Clery was ordered to write the order!

Pulleine was in command of the camp, in the absence of Col Glyn. Who we know was out with LC.

That tell's me Pulleine was in-command until Glyn returned.

But Glyn did corroborate all of Major Clery's statement.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 6:47 am

Well done Fredric a really good summary of events. Salute 

There is of course one other point to consider that hasn't been touched on and that is: 'Why did Durnford see it necessary to send James Hammer to iSandlwana on the morning of the 22nd to ask Chelmsford for instructions, seeing as he had just been given the note from Crealock?"
He never got to see Chelmsford as that portion of the column had already left the camp, and he did arrive around an hour before Durnford.

Just a another pebble in the water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Les.

Good post @10.34pm.

Someone with 'the little grey cells' has seen the light, it must have been Poirot.....

Salute   Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am

Well springy, I would have thought that was because the order that was sent by Craelock was a bit vague. Yes, it did say to come to the camp, and it also informed Durnford that Bengough was to make his move, and it also said that LC was going to be on the move, so this would have given the impression to Durnford that the planned action against the Matyanas was under way. But it didn't say that he was to take command or reinforce the camp, nor did it say that he was to stay at the camp, in fact it didn't make it all that clear what Durnford was expected to do once he arrived at the camp. Was he still to co-operate and support LC has he had been ordered to do, or had there been some change to these orders, ie; did LC want Durnford to approach the Matyanas from a different direction, did he want Durnford to follow him to cover his rear, or did LC have some other plan in mind, the order sent by Crealock was very vague, so he maybe sent Hammer to LC in the hope that he could get some better information and instructions as to what LC wanted him to do.

I have to agree with you Frank, that is a very good post by Frederic, well done that man. agree 

Another good point that 24th makes is that Pulleine was in possession of written orders telling him that he was in command of the camp in the absence of Col Glyn, the order didn't say he was in command of the camp until Durnford arrived, it said in the absence of Col Glyn, meaning until Glyn returned, so I think that all this misleading stuff like 'take command', 'reinforce', 'support Pulleine', etc, could all be some of Crealocks 'red herrings', chucked into the mix to deliberately throw people off the scent in an effort to get LC off the hook and dump the blame onto Durnford.

Hell Frank, I don't know about a four piper, it might even be a six piper  Shocked 

Cheers mate.  Salute
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:54 am

springbok9 wrote:
Well done Fredric a really good summary of events. Salute 

There is of course one other point to consider that hasn't been touched on and that is: 'Why did Durnford see it necessary to send James Hammer to iSandlwana on the morning of the 22nd to ask Chelmsford for instructions, seeing as he had just been given the note from Crealock?"
He never got to see Chelmsford as that portion of the column had already left the camp, and he did arrive around an hour before Durnford.

Just a another pebble in the water.

Bonjour Springbok,
I am sure you are a theory on this point.
Cheers.

Frédéric

I.E: Thanks at all for your kind words on my comment.
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 12:09 pm

sas1, source, 1. French, Lord Chelmsford and the Zulu War.
Photo..French. 2. Zulu Victory.L&Q.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 8:34 pm

ymob wrote:
I am sure you are a theory on this point.

Perspicacious as ever Frederic. I agree. At this point Springbok has shed his mortal coil and emerged from the cocoon as a new form of living, breathing historical theory.  Joker   Salute 
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Well springy, I would have thought that was because the order that was sent by Craelock was a bit vague. Yes, it did say to come to the camp, and it also informed Durnford that Bengough was to make his move, and it also said that LC was going to be on the move, so this would have given the impression to Durnford that the planned action against the Matyanas was under way. But it didn't say that he was to take command or reinforce the camp, nor did it say that he was to stay at the camp, in fact it didn't make it all that clear what Durnford was expected to do once he arrived at the camp. Was he still to co-operate and support LC has he had been ordered to do, or had there been some change to these orders, ie; did LC want Durnford to approach the Matyanas from a different direction, did he want Durnford to follow him to cover his rear, or did LC have some other plan in mind, the order sent by Crealock was very vague, so he maybe sent Hammer to LC in the hope that he could get some better information and instructions as to what LC wanted him to do.

I have to agree with you Frank, that is a very good post by Frederic, well done that man. agree 

Another good point that 24th makes is that Pulleine was in possession of written orders telling him that he was in command of the camp in the absence of Col Glyn, the order didn't say he was in command of the camp until Durnford arrived, it said in the absence of Col Glyn, meaning until Glyn returned, so I think that all this misleading stuff like 'take command', 'reinforce', 'support Pulleine', etc, could all be some of Crealocks 'red herrings', chucked into the mix to deliberately throw people off the scent in an effort to get LC off the hook and dump the blame onto Durnford.

Hell Frank, I don't know about a four piper, it might even be a six piper  Shocked 

Cheers mate.  Salute

Crealock.

"1. Soon after 2 A.M. on the 22nd January I received instructions from the Lieutenant-General to send a written order to Lieutenant-Colonel Durnford, R.E., commanding No. 2 Column, to the following effect (I copied it in my note-book which was afterwards lost): " Move up to Sandhlwana Camp at once with all your mounted men and Rocket Battery—take command of it. I am accompanying Colonel Glyn, who is moving off at once to attack Matyana and a Zulu force"

Although we know, Crealock's order didn't state" Take command" He does say at the COE highlight above. So either way it was never intended for Durnford to get involved against Matyana, well not on the 22nd Jan anyway. Which bears out, he was only required to reinforce the camp.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 10:49 pm

John.

Can you please point out where the order written by Crealock says "REINFORCE THE CAMP"  scratch 

And where do you get the idea that it was never intended for Durnford to get involved against the Matyanas?

And how does your highlighted text bear out that he was only required to reinforce the camp?

And again, where does it say this????

Crealock was a proven liar, he would say almost anything to get himself and LC off the hook, how can anyone trust anything he said?
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Martin I put reinforce, because that is Probably what was required of him. I should have said " strengthen"
As that would have been what the original and correct order should have said, if Clery had been permitted to send it.

I did say where it came from the COE.

The highlighted text above, is what Crealock said. The real problem with your theories is, you have nothing to substantiate he was required to operate against Matyanas on the 22nd. No matter what the wording is in the last order, it all relates to him being ordered to the camp. And it's common sense that, he would be ordered to the camp, to strengthen, reinforce, or take command. Either way there is not a mention of anything else relating to any other duties.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Who can state for certain who ordered what! and when..what an
unholy mess they all made of it! one word will always suffice..
Complacency!. two extracts from Coupland..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 pm

John.

Sorry, but;;; 'Probably', 'would have', 'should have', 'had been',,, aren't much good when it comes to the meaning of an order.

The COE was rigged by Crealock and LC (remember the 'private' carriage ride to PMV).

Crealock may well have said these things at the COE, but like I said in my post, he would say anything to cover his and LC's backsides.

As quoted before, Col Durnford's move up to the camp, to 'co-operate', in the generals own words, was entirely in accord with Durnford's previous orders. And they were to support LC, not to take command, reinforce or strengthen the camp.

An order has to be clear and to the point, it is no use when it does not state what the recipent is supposed to do when the order is received, guessing at what an order means is not much use when mens lives are at stake. Both Crealock and LC are guilty of not following protocol, Crealock should have handed the order he had written to LC, and he should have read the order that Crealock had written to check it for any mistakes so that they could have been corrected, then LC should have signed it before it was issued to Durnford. It is obvious that this was not done, and after iSandlwana, when it was realised what this meant for both of them, they conspired and planned the rigged COE and organised a web of lies and deceit to clear their own backsides and put the blame onto the scapegoat Colonel Durnford.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 am

The conclusion of the author of the book you posted. Not fact.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:11 am

Martin you write as though LC had all the time in the world. Show me anything of primary source, that states Durnford was suppose to act on prior orders.

He received fresh orders on the morning of the 22nd move to the camp! Whatever action Durnford carried out when he arrived, was based on his own interpretation of the order, those a actions we know we're partly to blame for the lost of the camp.

We know Crealock lied, about the take command order, we have evidence to show that, but can you show evidence, that proves he lied about other matters. Or are you assuming he did.

As its been said before, LC had staff under him, he was in a postion where he could order others to send orders, he was busy getting ready for the off.
Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 1:18 am

I always thought Durnford arrived at the camp, around 10:30.

But according to Brickhill, Durnford was in the camp between 08:00-09:00

He then says that Durnford horse arrived at 10:30. So had Durnford moved up to the camp, prior to his me arriving. 

And why would Brickhill be taking the natives to Durnford and not Pulleine?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 1:27 am

The conclusion of the author of the book you posted. Not fact.

Thats fine john, it was not presented as fact.

08:00-09:00..says ray63..did you hear that Frank,
you can't agree with that!..  scratch 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 1:29 am

your source for the above please ray.
Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 am

Sorry Les, I thought you was well versed in the eyewitness accounts of Isandlwana.

This was the give away. "But according to Brickhill"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Who was in Charge at Isandlwana    Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 am

John you cant speculate what the orders were supposed to say ! , if they were supposed to say Reinforce the camp they should've plainly said so , it wasnt stated , so it's not '' Probably '' what should've been ordered . Durnford was told to move to the camp and that's it , end of story .  No No . All well and good after the fact ( disaster ) to throw in ' reinforce ' or ' Take Command ' which have been thrown around ever since the disaster happened .
90th
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:42 am

Who was in charge at iSandlwana Today at 9:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry Les, I thought you was well versed in the eyewitness accounts of Isandlwana. ...
sorry ray. misunderstanding, when i said source i meant the physical piece, the typewritten
text seems familiar.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:43 am

Can't see where the argument is regarding this take command issue, Okay Crealock never wrote that, but Dunford did take command regardless, so was he yet again disobaying orders. ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 am

ray i have it, in a box, somewhere i have typewritten accounts of
survivors, its about time i looked them out, no football for me today.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Ray
There are around 11 reports of Durnfords arrival, a lot at different times. If you do a time analysis of the message being sent from iSandlwana and the subsequent events then Brickhill is very wrong. Not many people owned watches in those days, mainly just the officers hence the degree of variation.
the only time for Durnfords arrival that fits ALL the facts is 10.30 ish.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Well it does say, Durnfords horse arrived, perhaps Durnford did arrived earlier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm

so was he yet again disobaying orders. ?..no he was not! the last written
order he received was the one which begins.. You will march to camp..
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 am

On the 11th Jan 1879, Durnford met with LC at RD, and LC delivered orders personally to Durnford. We know this because LC wrote to Frere confirming it.

LC sent the following to Frere.

"I directed this officer to move one of his three battalions (Bengough's) to watch, and eventually to cross at the gates of Natal between Rorke's Drift and the Umsinga mountain, while he (Durnford) and the mounted men and rocket battery were to join me with No 3 column".

This confirms that LC had ordered Durnford to join HIM (CHELMSFORD) with No 3 column.

Then this on the 19th from LC.

No 3 column moves tomorrow to iSandlwana hill and from there, as soon as possible to a spot about 10 miles nearer to the Indeni Forest.
From that point I intend to operate against the two Matyanas if they refuse to surrender.
One is in the stronghold on or near the Mhlazakazi Mountain; the other is in the Indeni Forest. Bengough ought to be ready to cross the Buffalo R at the gates of Natal in three days time, and ought to show himself there as soon as possible.
I have sent you an order to cross the river at RD tomorrow with the force you have with you at Vermaaks.
I shall want you to operate against the Matyanas, but shall send you fresh instructions on this subject.
We shall be about 8 miles from RD tomorrow.

This is the order that LC refers to above.

You are requested to move the troops under your immediate command viz; mounted men, rocket battery and Sikeli's men to RD tomorrow 20th inst; and to encamp on the left bank of the Buffalo (in zululand).
No 3 column moves tomorrow to the iSandlwana Hill.
Major Bengough with his battalion Native contingent at Sand Spuit is to hold himself in readiness to cross the Buffalo at the shortest possible notice to operate against the cheif Matyana, his wagons will cross t RD.

As you can see, LC wants Durnford and Bengough to co-operate and support him in the action against the Matyanas.

Then on the 22nd Durnford gets this.

You are to march to this camp at once with all the force you have with you of No 2 column.
Major Bengough's battalion is to move to RD as ordered yesterday.
2/24th, Artillary and mounted men with the Genera and Col Glyn move off at once to attack a zulu force about 10 miles distant.

Now read these orders and then have a think about it. You can see that everything is in gear for the move against the Matyanas. There is no mention whatsoever about Durnford either 'taking command', 'reinforcing', 'strengthening', or 'supporting Pulleine'. Everything is worded in such a way that the orders are telling Durnford that the action against the Matyanas is under way, and that is why Durnford told Pulleine that he would not be staying at the camp, because LC wanted Durnford to support him. Note also that LC said he would issue fresh instructions regarding the Matyanas, but he never did, and there were no fresh instructions at the camp, so as far as Durnford is concerned he is to co-operate and support LC, and that is just what he was doing.

After the loss at iSandlwana, LC and Crealock both realised that they had made a blunder, so they had to try to find a way out and have a scapegoat, and who else but the dead Durnford, after all, he could not say anything could he?

Before jumping the gun and blaming Col Durnford, read the orders, try to understand what they are saying, and put yourself in Col Durnford's position, what would you have done?

Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 am

"Major Bengough's battalion is to move to RD as ordered yesterday.
2/24th, Artillary and mounted men with the Genera and Col Glyn move off at once to attack a zulu force about 10 miles distant"

Bengough's as ordered yesterday.

Durnford fresh order.22nd Jan 1879

"You are to march to this camp at once with all the force you have with you of No 2 column."

Where does it say Durford as ordered yesterday.

Martin your only posting your interpretation of the order, not for the purpose it was sent.

The order Durnford received, was not the original LC intended to be sent, Crealock send his own interpretation of the order. Which you have posted above. If Clery had send the original it would have stated "strengthen" the camp, or words to that effect.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Who was in charge at iSandlwana   Who was in charge at iSandlwana - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 am

I did say TRY to understand what they are saying, obviously you are not even trying.
Back to top Go down

Who was in charge at iSandlwana
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next