WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lt. Melvill: Well done, Sir! Did you see that Noggs? Deceived him with the up and took him with the down. Norris-Newman: Well well, this one's a grandfather at least. If he'd been a Zulu in his prime I'd have given odds against your lancer, Mr. Melvill.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Camp at Isandula, on the Morning of January 22nd.
Today at 1:34 pm by xhosa2000

» St Quintin.
Today at 12:31 am by ADMIN

» An Old Zulu Warrior
Yesterday at 6:52 am by SRB1965

» Who is he & where is he !!!
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 am by 90th

» iNtombi Drift
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am by 90th

» Talk about Henry Martin from Gurney Slade Somerset
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am by andysandersuk

» Francis Broadfoot Russell
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 am by rai

» Has anyone ever made a Zulu battle shield?
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 am by 90th

» WHY I JOINED THE ZULU CAMPAIGN by Orderley Room Sergeant Sam Priestly, Lonsdale's Horse
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 am by 90th

» Richard Groves, Quartertmaster Sargeant, 3rd Buffs
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 am by 90th

» Publications presentation
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:36 pm by ADMIN

» Sad News Death of Rob Gerrard.
Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm by ADMIN

» Alan Baynham Jones
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» RYLEY John Rutherford
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm by littlehand

» Module "Publications"
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm by ADMIN

Lt. (Captain) J.B. Carey, 98th, Ityotozi River--
(Isandula Collection)
Military Odyssey 2016 - Zulu War Era British Encampment
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

1879graves

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

xhosa2000

ymob

Frank Allewell

1879graves

Julian Whybra

rusteze

ADMIN

Chas

John Young

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Isandula

PostSubject: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Isandula Collection)
Spalding is seating on ground first on left

(Isandula Collection)
Information for Columns document of March 3, 1879 signed by Spalding as D.A.Q.M.G. on the Headquarter's Staff

H. Spalding Major DAQMG

Last edited by Isandula on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ulundi

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm

What is this the abbreviation of. "D.A.Q.M.G."
Back to top Go down
Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 pm

He was actually: D.A.A.Q.M.G. or Deputy Acting Adjutant and Quartermaster-General.

Last edited by Isandula on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ulundi

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 pm

That's good! agree
Back to top Go down
Ulundi

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Do we know where Spalding is buried.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Brevet Major Henry Spalding RD ; Information for Columns    Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 am

Excellent work Steve , much appreciated .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Ulundi wrote:
Do we know where Spalding is buried.

Can't find much on Spalding. After the Zulu War. .?
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Born 27.9.1840
Commitioned Ensign 20.2.1858
Commitioned Lieut 9.10.1859
Commitioned Capt 9.2.1868
Brevet of Major 1879
Substantive Major 16.10.1880
Honorary Lieut Col 22.12.1880
Regimental Instructor of Musketry 1865-1868
Retired 22.12.1880
Kaffir Campaign operation against Galekas Zulu Campaign
Mentioned in Dispatches L.G. 15.3.79
Acted as marshal at funeral of the prince Imperial.

Back to top Go down
Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 pm

I have seen it somewhere that I can't find at present--that he was quite the scholar and a writer of some repute.  Anyone know his middle initial?
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Here's a book he translated in 1874.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
Isandula

PostSubject: Eureka!   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:05 pm

EUGENE ONEGUINE
A ROMANCE OF RUSSIAN LIFE
IN VERSE
by
ALEXANDER PUSHKIN

TRANSLATED FROM THE RUSSIAN
by

LIEUT.-COL. SPALDING

LONDON

MACMILLAN AND CO.

So now we know what the now retired from regular duty Lt. Col. Henry Spalding spent his time doing---first English translation from Russian of Alexander Pushkin's pioneering novel. Isandula
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Just to Echo Ulundi's words. " Do we know where Spalding is buried?

Graves1879, TIm, LH any chance you could help.?
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi All

scratch Unknown to me scratch
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Been doing a little research on Henry Spalding and its a little intriguing.

He was born in St Pancras, his father Thomas Spalding was a Wholesale Stationer (the Spaldings are major players in the book and paper trade in London from the 18th century).
In 1871 he is a Captain with the 104th in Aldershot. We then know about his Zulu War exploits.
He leaves the Army in 1880, at the early age of 40, and in the 1881 census he is living at 209 Albany St. St Pancras with his wife Ruby who is then 18 years old. I can find no record of a marriage and Ruby is said to have been born at sea. Is there perhaps a little whiff of scandal ?
We next find him in the 1891 census at a house called Ryde Vale in Streatham, South London, he is 50 and Ruby is now 28, no children and he is described as a Retired Lt. Colonel. No obvious source of income but perhaps family money?  
In 1901 Henry is living at 29 Bury St, St James, Westminster, now aged 60 and a widow - so poor Ruby has died, but no sign of that in the records. He died at 24 Chapel St, Belgrave Square on 22 May 1907 leaving effects of £602. 0. 1d. to his brother John Howard Spalding (a Wholesale Stationer). Probably buried in one of the great North London Cemeteries but no clue about which one.

But who was Ruby, where did she come from, what happened to her? - more detective work required.

Steve
Back to top Go down
impi

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Interesting post Steve. Some good information. Let's Find Spaldings Grave agree
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:30 am

"Come along Watson, the game is afoot". (Sherlock Holmes).

Surely they got it wrong in 1901 saying that he was a 'widow', a widow is a woman, should they not have said 'widower'?

I wonder who Ruby was? And your right Steve, there is a whiff, and it's certainly not a 'Will's whiff' Very Happy

'Ruby' might have 'taken her love to town', and then did a runner with a younger bloke, and to save face Spalding said she was dead, hummmm!

With a name like Spalding you would have thought that he might have been related to the plant and seed firm Very Happy

I can see we are going to have to call on Poirot, Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon for this one agree
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Martin

Your quite right about widower, the original entry actually says "Wdr". My mistake.

Steve
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:15 am

08 July 1896 - Kirkintilloch Herald
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:47 am

Wow, great find Graves. Love the report that she punched the Chief Constable in the face before being manhandled down to the cells. There must be so much more to this than we know about. Where was the son in the census? Did she really die before 1901 or did Spalding quietly get rid of her? How did all this rebound on the life of a Colonel in Victorian Society? I want to know more!

Steve
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:53 am

Steve

Yes what a story.

I think the son (Walter) is on the 1891 census but as a Visitor? but I could be incorrect.

I need to find more now

Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 am

The following research comes from Graham Mason and Denise Neufeld.

"And so the story continues re Maj Spalding ::::::::::::::::::::. When he left the army on the 22 Dec 1880 , Spalding was given the rank of Lt Col, by the census of 1881 Spalding was living with his , " wife " Ruby , at least they were living together as such . Ruby is shown as 18 and Spalding as 40. I decided to look further as to the date of marriage , , despite much head scratching no marriage was found of a RUBY to Henry Spalding . However i carried on . Then on the 2nd March 1884 a son , WALTER HENRY SPALDING WAS BORN IN LONDON. Then a breakthrough , i found the marriage and also the DEATH of " Ruby " but this was the name she used , not her birth name which was RUBINA FREDERICA C NAGHTEN bc 1863, she is shown as being , " BORN AT SEA " and also in Southampton! . The marriage took place in 1888 some 4 years after the birth of WALTER , thier son. The marriage took place , June Qtr 1888 Wandsworth London Vol 1d - 1031. At what point the abuse / bad treatment of WALTER started we can only speculate , suffice to say that by 1896 , " Ruby " had been arrested and put on trial , as seen by earlier data. A short time after her trial , Rubina SPALDING died , aged just 33 , i am going to get her death certificate ( 1896 ) to see what the cause of her death was . Why WALTER was shown as a , " visitor " on the census can only be guessed at. Walter as has been indicated left his parents and in 1900 aged 16 he went to live with his Uncle ( ARTHUR REED SPALDING ) who had emigrated to Canada in 1886.Walter can be found on the 1901 Canadian census and other census of CANADA / USA. By 1940 he is in SAN CARLOS SAN MATEO CALIFORNIA aged 56 , with his wife Jessie Maria SPALDING. He is an owner of a lunch bar with Jessie as his assistant. In 1942 aged 58 , Walter SPALDING is shown on a draft card as living at 612 EL-COMINO San Carlos , CALIFORNIA. The last we hear of WALTER was his death on the 20th FEB 1964 at ALAMEDA : CALIFORNIA. My thanks go to Denise who has contributed greatly to this fascinating and somewhat sad story of the man designated as Commanding Officer RORKES DRIFT Jan 1879 , Denise and i are still looking into matters on this subject matter . In a rorkesdrift forum , it was stated that Maj SPALDING ( HENRY JOSEPH SPALDING ) was born , 14th July 1840 in London and baptised , 15th Aug 1841 at Old Church St Pancras . Howerver , the parents indicated are HENRY & MATILDA SPALDING !!! , these are NOT the parents of Maj Spalding whose parents were THOMAS SPALDING & ELIZA HALTON , Thomas married again after ELIZA died in 1851 to ELIZABETH REED in 1853 HACKNEY LONDON. Thomas & ELIZABETH had a number of children and so Maj ( Lt Col ) Henry SPALDING had a number of HALF BROTHERS & SISTERS and so further investigations are due."
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am

Good stuff. I note that in the 1891 census, where Walter appears as a visitor age 7, his name is given as Walter Eaton (looks like). Was he actually their son I wonder?

Henry Spalding also allegedly spent some time as an officer at the British Embassy in St Petersberg where he learnt Russian. Could it be that his rather odd career and history indicates some involvement in "the great game". Wouldn't surprise me at all if he had been a budding James Bond! But sheer speculation.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns   

Back to top Go down

Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: LINKS & IMAGES RELATING TO THE ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: