WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 BarDurnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 Bar_right 
Dash
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 BarDurnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
lydenburg
Tim Needham
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Go down 
+18
durnfordthescapegoat
John
littlehand
Chard1879
ymob
Ulundi
90th
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
sas1
Frank Allewell
6pdr
Mr M. Cooper
impi
rusteze
Ray63
ADMIN
Julian Whybra
24th
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Julian Whybra

Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 am

Chard
The substance of Gardner's message is correct. The wording and the so-called source are not. The North East Medals site is NOT a primary source. It is simply A.N.Other's writing - the danger of relying on the web for information.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 am

Wouldn't trust those mate, Aussie cameras you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bound to be wrong. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
Chard
The substance of Gardner's message is correct.  The wording and the so-called source are not.  The North East Medals site is NOT a primary source.  It is simply A.N.Other's writing - the danger of relying on the web for information.

Where can one find the correct source. Primary!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Chard
Go back a few posts the version I printed is substantially correct, and it comes from the North East site. Ive just had another look at that site and there is no mention of digging in /entrenchment in the version they have. Not a clue where impi dug it up. Suspect Salute
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
The substance of Gardner's message is correct.

Shocked By that standard, Crealock had a very accurate memory too, no Question
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Far to enigmatic for this humble man of Africa.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Chard
Forgive me for quoting from my own work:
29. Captain Alan Coulston GARDNER 14th Hussars, attached on special service to the Staff
No. 3 Column for general staff duties

(A) Statement to the Court of Inquiry, made 26th January 1879 appears in the Blue Books.31
(B) In the Proceedings of the Court of Inquiry, made 27th January 1879 appears in the Blue Books.32
(C) An account and map in the National Archives.33
(D) A letter published in The Dover Express, 28th March 1879.

31 British Parliamentary Papers, op. cit., Enc. 2 in No. 12, p. 101.
32 Ibid., Encl. No. 2 in No. 13, p. 81.
33 WO 33/34, p. 289.

Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 pm

springbok9 wrote:
Chard
Go back a few posts the version I printed is substantially correct, and it comes from the North East site. Ive just had another look at that site and there is no mention of digging in /entrenchment in the version they have. Not a clue where impi dug it up. Suspect Salute

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Chard

Two different versions on the same web site should tell you a lot about it.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 5:57 pm

SIR, 
   I HAVE the honour to forward herewith the proceedings of the Court of Inquiry held to take evidence regarding the disastrous affair of Isandlwana.
The Court has very properly abstained from giving an opinion, and I myself refrain also from making any observation or from drawing any conclusions from the evidence therein recorded.
   I regret very much that more evidence has not been taken, and I have given instructions that all those who escaped, and who are able to throw any light whatever upon the occurrences of the day, should be at once called upon for a statement of what they saw. 
   I deem it better, however, not to delay the transmission of the proceedings, which will no doubt be awaited with anxiety.
   I have directed my Military Secretary, Lieutenant-Colonel Crealock, to append a statement of the facts which came under his cognisance on the day in question, which may possibly serve to throw some additional light on what, I fear, will still be considered very obscure.
   It will, I fear, be impossible to furnish an absolutely correct list of all those who perished on the 22nd January, as every record connected
with the several corps belonging to No. 3 Column has been lost.
   Colonel Glyn is doing his best to furnish what is required.
   Since writing the above the printed list of killed and wounded has reached me, several copies of which I beg to enclose.
I have, &c., (Signed) CHELMSFORD, Lieutenant-General. 

In light of what we know now!  how on earth did he have the brass neck to
start the dispatch in such a fashion....Begger's belief !   

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 pm

start the dispatch in such a fashion! it beggars belief!....

sorry about the glitch, think the nets dropping in and out.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Breeding, my dear Xhosa, pure breeding. Cameron has it, Heseltine has it, MacMillan had it. So did Chelmsford. They are/were born with a brass neck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Don't get me started Julian..Supermac, Tarzan, both had
a bit about them..Cameron er..that's a no! elected without 
a mandate and running scared from the odious little turd
which is Farage..i was watching again last week The British
Empire in colour, and indeed watched with glee as it was
systematically dismantled.. it starts from the Diamond Jub
in 1897 to the early years of the 21st century, and the last
shot was to see a busy city in any part of England..masses
of people passing the camera, every ethnic face you could 
conceive..all in living colour so to speak, when the Empire
was taken away, we made up the commonwealth! and that
is now the make up of this greater than ever country, all
the countries we ruled and raped for labour and mineral
wealth well their descendants are right here right now, is 
that not just the sweetest irony! i don't know why i have not
a racist thought or bone in my body! i'm just very lucky i
guess, i don't waste my life on hating people...Good breeding!
that's such a subjective phrase.. Very Happy    Great series narrated 
by Art Malik.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 am

Xhosa

Note that I didn't say 'good' breeding...just 'breeding'.

And yet, mistakes aside, think what GB gave half the world: parliamentary democracy, freedom from slavery, the rule of law, incredibly improved communications via railways, the list is endless. Also, invariably GB did not 'rule' per se - the inclination was for informal rule where possible, formal rule only when necessary, such that most of Africa remained under local chieftains' rule with a British protectorate. And you know, Britain's Empire in Africa cost this country more than it brought back to the national wealth. While I admit individuals and companies certainly made individual profits out of mining etc, as a nation state GB did not. Have a look at Africa and the Victorians by Robinson and Gallagher - it's a very interesting yet underrated work.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
And yet, mistakes aside, think what GB gave half the world:

Reminds me of the "What did the Romans ever do for us?!" routine in THE LIFE OF BRIAN. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Now that was a brilliant movie, didn't it have a Welsh disciple? Must ask Martin. Very Happy Salute No
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Julian. agree Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Springy Suspect Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Joking aside there are many similarities between the benefits of the Roman and British Empires on their subject peoples. They hold up very well in comparison to the French (sorry Pascal and Frederic!), Spanish and Portuguese and look like Paradise compared to the Italian and German.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
Joking aside there are many similarities between the benefits of the Roman and British Empires on their subject peoples.  They hold up very well in comparison to the French (sorry Pascal and Frederic!), Spanish and Portuguese and look like Paradise compared to the Italian and German.

Well, one of your brethren is arguing that the French really offered something in the 18th-19th century that the British could barely match: Napoleon.

Andrew Roberts is making quite the case for THE Emperor of modern history. That comes as a bit of a surprise considering he is an Englishman and by the sound of his posh accent quite the Tory sort by way of OxBridge too.

I think it will be in a lot of stockings (metaphorically speaking, because it's HUGE) this Xmas:

But who had the worst Empire? Reminds me of another Python routine. "Those dirty Belgish bastards!" Joker
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm with you Julian, like you say, mistakes aside, the Brit's did a lot more good than harm, pity that some others refuse to see it the same way, as we now seem to have become a nation of apologists.

Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:24 pm

One Brit that outmatched Napoleon was 'The Iron Duke', Sir Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
One Brit that outmatched Napoleon was 'The Iron Duke', Sir Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington.

Nah. The point of Roberts' book...and his promotional tour...is that apart from Waterloo Wellesley wasn't really a patch on Napoleon.  Napoleon was so much more than a soldier.  He was Renaissance man as tireless genius.  He was only a general in his spare time; even so it took nearly the entirety of Europe to run him to ground in favor of the Ancien Regime.  You need to study mo

Last edited by 6pdr on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
I'm with you Julian, like you say, mistakes aside, the Brit's did a lot more good than harm, pity that some others refuse to see it the same way, as we now seem to have become a nation of apologists.

Stop fooling yourself Mr. Cooper. Your lot have a LOT to apologize for. To pick just one random nation nobody every focuses on, ask a Kenyan. Judging by the latest reports on our CIA the US will probably have MORE to apologize for when all is said and done...but we haven't had the run of things as long. And the Chinese will probably be worst of all -- in the long run. We'll see! That's for future generations of historians to decide...and they will surely be kept busy ferreting the facts.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Well, we Brits used to put up a gallant fight against all who wanted to take over our country, however, it seems that these days all we do is kow tow and let others walk all over us.

This country is crying out for another valiant hearted leader, as it is now just a shadow of its glorious former self. I'm afraid that the British Lion seems to have had its teeth and claws removed and sleeps in the cat basket in the corner of the room slumbering the days away, if only it would roar again like it used to to.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:08 pm

6pdr
I take your point about Napoleon but his of course was a European empire not a world or rather a colonial one.
I think that before we digress into a different discussion it might be remembered that we should not and cannot, judge the mores of the 1800s or early 1900s by the standards of 2014.  You can only judge them by the standards of the time.  It's just not good history.  And by the standards of the time, GB comes out pretty well.  Not perfect I admit.  But in an age when slavery was the norm (1804 and 1834) it took a lot to police the world to root out slavers.  By that token alone, GB deserves some credit.  I haven't noticed any modern-day African or Arab countries apologizing to their peoples for previous (C16 and C17 and C18) rulers' imposition of slavery.
And, anyway, in the age of CIA excesses, ISIS beheadings, al-Qaeda terrorism, INLA's continued bombings and murders, and the Taliban's treatment of women, who are we of 2014 to judge?  Something about 'cast not the mote in another's eye when thou hast a beam in thine own'.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
But in an age when slavery was the norm (1804 and 1834) it took a lot to police the world to root out slavers.  By that token alone, GB deserves some credit.  I haven't noticed any modern-day African or Arab countries apologizing to their peoples for previous (C16 and C17 and C18) rulers' imposition of slavery.

Absolutely.  Americans can have no argument with that.  But I DON't think we have to go back to the 18thC or before to find things for which GB could apologize for. Not hardly.  Familiar with Caoline Elkins, IMPERIAL RECKONING?  Heck, even NIALL in denial FERGUSON blurbed it for her...but I sincerely doubt he makes the contents known at cocktail parties.

Quote :
And, anyway, in the age of CIA excesses, ISIS beheadings, al-Qaeda terrorism, INLA's continued bombings and murders, and the Taliban's treatment of women, who are we of 2014 to judge?  Something about 'cast not the mote in another's eye when thou hast a beam in thine own'.

Disagree.  I take your point about writing history from the POV of the moralist. That IS a waste of everybody's time.  But while standards of oppression wax and wane we all know an atrocity when we behold it.  I had a preview of a forthcoming Rick Burns documentary...in which it seemed like the Pilgrims who founded the nation I live in had a lot more in common with ISIS and the Taliban than the vast majority of its modern day inhabitants...including beheadings.  We're just not taught that in school here.  And another serious popular historian, Nathaniel Philbrick, (whose documentation of Puritan behavior during King William's War is amazing) told an utterly American audience I was part of recently that when you look at the reality of the events the led up to our independence, really, our sympathies should be almost entirely with Britain. He said our behavior then had more in common with Afghanis' behavior today than what we consider reasonable now.

There should be more apologizing.  It's good for the soul.  Or do you want to be like the right wing in Japan today and claim all these claims of atrocity during WW2 were made up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Mistakes!!!..very droll Julian..
i suppose we are all a product of the some parts, which make up the
whole! from the cradle to the grave we are moulded and shaped, our 
thoughts and ideas are swamped from such an early age that the 
unlucky ones are stuck with that burden of tradition and expectations
that could easily cloud and blight their lives..the very fortunate few can
( if intelligence and free thinking is present ) rise above that and make
informed decisions about the world we live in.. a lot of us bemoan the 
current state of the world and would dearly wish that things could go 
back to the way that we per sieved things back in the ' good old days '
unfortunately they were not as good for a vast percentage of innocents
who were caught up in the machinations of an elitist few! yes things have
changed! forever!!! its time we all took responsibility and stop moaning..
its our one and only duty as a citizen's of this mad, twisted, glorious
world that we ensure future generations live free from hunger and fear..
don't fear change, embrace it, and things wont look so bleak to some..
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Xhosa
Actually I don't think I used the word 'mistakes'.  I still do not hold with judging the mores of the those in the past by today's standards.
Funnily enough I was reading today of Cromwell's atrocities where he murdered women and children prisoners - it was known as Abingdon's Law for centuries.  Something I had no inkling about - and him a Puritan too.
I don't believe just apologizing is right - something has to be to make amends - a simple apology from Japan would be meaningless but a re-education programme would have been the right thing to do.
Re society sadly I don't things have changed. Those at the top are still at the top and those at the bottom are still there too. It's still a matter of who you know and not what you know.

Last edited by Julian Whybra on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
Funnily enough I was reading today of Cromwell's atrocities where he murdered women and children prisoners - it was known as Abingdon's Law for centuries.  Something I had no inkling about - and him a Puritan too.

It was a rough time alright. I will reiterate my suggestion that any and all who are interested in history here, and may need a refresher on that period, rent a French film called QUEEN MARGOT. Fair warning: Christian internecine strife depicted. It is not dreary at all though. Just the reverse. Grabs you in the opening moments and doesn't let go until the last scene. You'll thank me for the suggestion, I promise!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Bonsior Frederic.

Yes my friend, many thanks for that. I thought I had read it somewhere that he had survived, but could not be sure which book I had read it in.

Cheers. Salute
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Bonsior Frederic.

Yes my friend, many thanks for that. I thought I had read it somewhere that he had survived, but could not be sure which book I had read it in.

Cheers. Salute

Bonsoir Martin,

Happy to help. Wink
Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:56 pm

[quote="Julian Whybra"]Joking aside there are many similarities between the benefits of the Roman and British Empires on their subject peoples.  They hold up very well in comparison to the French (sorry Pascal and Frederic!),

Bonsoir Mister Whybra,

Probably, you are the historian, not me.
But:
The creation of the "Industrial revolution", "the concentration camps" and the "famine potatoes" are not French: The benefit of the British Empire on their subject people?

I.E: Il existe une expression en France: "sortir les cadavres du placard" Wink

Amitiés.

Frédéric:
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Frederic,

Against which I will put Haiti and nearly every French colony in the Caribbean. Napoleon undercutting his revolution in the worst possible way!

Plenty of this sort of thing to go around, mind.

- 6pdr
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:11 am

6pdr wrote:
Frederic,

Against which I will put Haiti and nearly every French colony in the Caribbean.  Napoleon undercutting his revolution in the worst possible way!

Plenty of this sort of thing to go around, mind.

- 6pdr

Bonsoir 6 Pdr,
As i said previously, sorry in French ("sortir les cadavres du placard") there is no interest to write a list of "atrocities"on their people subject from France, Great Britain or other country . Sadly the list is always too long....
I have many respect for Julian Whybra (for the man and for the historian).
My post was just a "warning": I have only to try to point out that the "British Empire" was (maybe) better (for the people) than France or other country, but was certainly not "the white dove" (unfortunately).
As you, i have also (unfortunately) "plenty of this sort of thing" in mind on Great Britain, France, Germany ....and USA.
I am not necessary agree with your last opinion, but it 's not the subject of this forum, i am not on this forum to discuss of this sort of subject (there are plenty forums on the web on Napoleon or on the French revolutionary in my native langage),  so i don't want to debate again.
it's my last post on this point.

Please, see no offense.

Off Topic

Cheers / Cordialement.

Frédéric
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 am

Still with a AZW connection ish! here's a young scamp
who rose from the rank's.. any one know the film and
his character? clue.. medal ribbon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 am

It's weird, but this skirl keeps coming into my head yet I can't quite make out the tune. Hmmm...that's not Jock Sinclair, is it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 3:22 am

Wink   Salute
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 3:27 am

ymob wrote:
 so i don't want to debate again. it's my last post on this point.

Frédéric,

No problem whatsoever. Had I been able to read the French I wouldn't have posted that anyway...

- 6pdr
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 am

springbok9 wrote:
Now that was a brilliant movie, didn't it have a Welsh disciple? Must ask Martin. Very Happy Salute No

Let me know if you hear a Welsh accent...

Reg: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.
Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
Reg: Yes.
Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
Reg: All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?
Xerxes: The aqueduct.
Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
Masked Activist: And the sanitation!
Stan: Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.
Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...
Matthias: And the roads...
Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...
Another Masked Activist: Irrigation...
Other Masked Voices: Medicine... Education... Health...
Reg: Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front: And the wine...
Omnes: Oh yes! True!
Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.
Masked Activist at Back: Public baths!
Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.
Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.
Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Xerxes: Brought peace!
Reg: (very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 6:21 am

Xerxes was from Pontypool, his mom used to pull pints at the pub.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 8:03 am

springbok9 wrote:
Xerxes was from Pontypool, his mom used to pull pints at the pub.

And valued peace as a result. Is that perhaps why the English had their way so easily with the Welsh? scratch
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 8:43 am

Xhosa
Apologies, I did use the word 'mistakes'.

Frederic
"Industrial revolution" - a bad thing?
"the concentration camps" = the U.S.
"famine potatoes" - not an invention

6pdr
For me the tragedy is a class one - not a ruler/ruled one. The ordinary people of these isles have been downtrodden since the Conquest. All else has been a diversion - an interesting one - but a diversion.

I think the argument has gone from the merits/demerits of the
Empire to something else and I'm not sure there's a connection.

It has certainly moved away from the original question.  Time to get it back?
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 11:26 am

Spot on again Julian, the ordinary folk have been used and abused since 'Guillaume Le Batard' and his norse hoards paid us a visit, and it is these sort of folk that are still lording it over us even today.

The ordinary people still get it in the neck and take the brunt of anti British insults by all and sundry, when it should be the ruling classes that get this venom spat at them, not the ordinary folk.

They need the ordinary people to do all the dirty work and fight and die so that they can keep the status quo and keep lording it over us, it is about time the ordinary people woke up and got rid of the norman yoke that has burdened us since 1066.

And yes, let's get back to the topic.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:19 pm

I seem to recall a ditti:

The working class
can kiss my A**S
Ive got the foremans job at last.
When your out of work and on the dole
you can stuff the red flag up your hole.

Ah yes the famous "Im all right jack"

Sums it all up.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Sadly, that too, springy!
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable. 4   Durnford was he capable. 4 - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 pm

6pdr wrote:
ymob wrote:
 so i don't want to debate again. it's my last post on this point.

Frédéric,

No problem whatsoever.  Had I been able to read the French I wouldn't have posted that anyway...

- 6pdr

Bonjour 6 pdr

Sorry, i don't understand your remark about "had i been able to read the French" and 'I wouldn't have post that anyway"...
If you think that I don't want to debate because you are unable to read the French, it is really not the case!. scratch
Being unable to speak or to read French is not a "flaw" !!!

Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next