WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn: Lt. Melvill: You didn't really have to choose between your country and the Zulu, did you? Lt. William Vereker: Um, and a damn close thing it was too.
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Durnfords retreat.
Today at 2:17 pm by 90th

» Tunics from the dead
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm by SRB1965

» Intombe Drift
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm by Roselier

» Vandals wreck grave of Victoria Cross hero
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:35 am by SRB1965

» Events in Brecon & Cardiff in August 2017
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm by martinusmagnus

» Sergeant W. Shaw
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 pm by gcooper

» Private Arthur Joseph
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 pm by 1879graves

» Extracts from London Gazette in The Morning Post Wed 10 Sep 1879
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am by applebygypsy

» Alexander Fonnereau Crookshank of Drumhalyr & Bierrenagh.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» James Booth
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 pm by xhosa2000

» Zulu emissary - imaginary or otherwise....
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 pm by SRB1965

» Rorke's Drift
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 pm by xhosa2000

» Mrs. J. C. Deeble, Superintendent of Nurses.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm by Janeybird

» Martini Henry question
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm by SRB1965

» India Pattern Red Tunic
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:23 pm by John Young

Colour Sergeant F. Machin
80th Staffordshire Regiment (Isandula Collection)
Largest private Anglo-Zulu War collection on auction
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
 
littlehand
 
Frank Allewell
 
ADMIN
 
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
 
John
 
Mr M. Cooper
 
1879graves
 
impi
 
rusteze
 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
SRB1965
 
Frank Allewell
 
1879graves
 
90th
 
rusteze
 
xhosa2000
 
ymob
 
John Young
 
Roselier
 
Petty Officer Tom
 
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 
 

 Lt Col Bodle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7071
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 48
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Lt Col Bodle   Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:39 am

Bodle, Lt.-Col. Wm., c.m.g. (1901), s. of C. Bodle, of Alfriston, Sussex ; b. 1855 ; served in Zulu war 1879, Basuto war 1 880-1, Matabele campaigns 1893 and 1896, S. African war 1899-1901, commdt, British S. Africa Police, Matabeleland from 1S98 : Buluwavo, Matabslelaad.


Last edited by littlehand on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
90th

avatar

Posts : 9242
Join date : 2009-04-07
Age : 61
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Lt Col Bodle    Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 am

Littlehand it may be a typo on your behalf but there is no officer named Bodle in M & S ? .
There is a 2nd Lt L.W Bode 57th Regt , Bode served with his regt throughout the war being present at Gingindlovhu , the relief of Eshowe , the advance of Crealocks Divis to Port Durnford , and then the subsequent operations of Clarke's Column . If this the man you may have been referring to ? . From M & S .
90th
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7071
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 48
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks 90th. Amended. agree
Back to top Go down
Kenny



Posts : 285
Join date : 2013-05-07
Location : Brecon

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 pm

This is a continuing problem with this topic on this forum.  These days it is easy to find an on-line source/archive and type 'Zulu' into the quick search - then paste the results into this topic - aren't you clever?  How about checking the all facts BEFORE posting?  This way you may find the real story.

There was a Louis William Bode serving with 57th Foot in the AZW as 90th has correctly pointed out.  He was born at Melrose on 10 June 1860 and was commissioned into 57th Foot from Sandhurst on 11 May 1878. In 1898 at the age of 38, he was commanding troops in Western Australia - but then went to South Africa again during the 2nd ABW - (1899-1900). He was then a Major with The Royal Scots.  He was awarded the DSO - London Gazette dated 27 Sep 1901.  Bode died at Hastings in Sussex in 1936.  A quick look at Hart's Army List makes no mention of the appointments mentioned by Littlehand in his posting.  There is probably another 'Wm Bode' - obviously needs more research.
Back to top Go down
John Young

avatar

Posts : 1266
Join date : 2013-09-08
Age : 61
Location : Lower Sheering, Essex

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Kenny,

The original spelling of Bodle was correct, when I saw the B.S.A.P., I started making enquiries with someone I know who served in that force. He pointed me in the direction of http://www.bsap.org/hisrsms.html

As you can see for that piece there is no mention of the Anglo-Zulu War whatsoever. Although "Billy" Bodle does seem to have had an interesting and long career.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
Kenny



Posts : 285
Join date : 2013-05-07
Location : Brecon

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Well done John - it seems that Wm Boldle may have served under Col Fred Carrington (24th Foot) who raised the Buchuanaland Police.

There is a CMG (dated 16 Apr 1901) and MID (dated 19 Apr 1901) as Lt-Col British South African Police.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7071
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 48
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Kenny wrote:
This is a continuing problem with this topic on this forum.  These days it is easy to find an on-line source/archive and type 'Zulu' into the quick search - then paste the results into this topic - aren't you clever?  How about checking the all facts BEFORE posting?  This way you may find the real story.

There was a Louis William Bode serving with 57th Foot in the AZW as 90th has correctly pointed out.  He was born at Melrose on 10 June 1860 and was commissioned into 57th Foot from Sandhurst on 11 May 1878. In 1898 at the age of 38, he was commanding troops in Western Australia - but then went to South Africa again during the 2nd ABW - (1899-1900). He was then a Major with The Royal Scots.  He was awarded the DSO - London Gazette dated 27 Sep 1901.  Bode died at Hastings in Sussex in 1936.  A quick look at Hart's Army List makes no mention of the appointments mentioned by Littlehand in his posting.  There is probably another 'Wm Bode' - obviously needs more research.

Kenny steady.. If you don't like what I post or anyone else for that matter, don't reply. I search the web for information post it and let other pick the bones. That's the way it is with me? Iposted the information. You and JY found further information. Now we know about another person who took part. Team work Kenny, team work.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7071
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 48
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 pm

John Young wrote:
Kenny,

The original spelling of Bodle was correct, when I saw the B.S.A.P., I started making enquiries with someone I know who served in that force.  He pointed me in the direction of http://www.bsap.org/hisrsms.html

As you can see for that piece there is no mention of the Anglo-Zulu War whatsoever.  Although "Billy" Bodle does seem to have had an interesting and long career.

John Y.

Thanks John. Amended yet again! agree
Back to top Go down
Dave

avatar

Posts : 1606
Join date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 pm

littlehand wrote:
Kenny wrote:
This is a continuing problem with this topic on this forum.  These days it is easy to find an on-line source/archive and type 'Zulu' into the quick search - then paste the results into this topic - aren't you clever?  How about checking the all facts BEFORE posting?  This way you may find the real story.

There was a Louis William Bode serving with 57th Foot in the AZW as 90th has correctly pointed out.  He was born at Melrose on 10 June 1860 and was commissioned into 57th Foot from Sandhurst on 11 May 1878. In 1898 at the age of 38, he was commanding troops in Western Australia - but then went to South Africa again during the 2nd ABW - (1899-1900). He was then a Major with The Royal Scots.  He was awarded the DSO - London Gazette dated 27 Sep 1901.  Bode died at Hastings in Sussex in 1936.  A quick look at Hart's Army List makes no mention of the appointments mentioned by Littlehand in his posting.  There is probably another 'Wm Bode' - obviously needs more research.

Kenny steady.. If you don't like what I post or anyone else for that matter, don't reply. I search the web for information post it and let other pick the bones. That's the way it is with me? Iposted the information. You and JY found further information. Now we know about another person who took part. Team work Kenny, team work.
agree You just keep posting LH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Lt Col Bodle   

Back to top Go down
 
Lt Col Bodle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: THE ONE'S THE HISTORY BOOKS FORGOT-
Jump to: