WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

SRB1965

ymob

xhosa2000

1879graves

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

NMP Memorial at Isandlwana

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
barry

PostSubject: NMP Memorial at Isandlwana   Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi All,

I found this article in the 1911-12 issue of the Natal Police Magazine, Nongqai.  Reading this, the questions is begged ; why did it take  +- 33 years, post the event,  to erect these memorials to the men from both regiments who had made the supreme sacrifice for Queen and Country.

Isandlwana
Memorial to men of the Natal Mounted Police
In July 1911, at the general meeting of the NMP and NP Association, I brought up the question of erecting  a cairn, or memorial on the field at Isandlwana, to those of our comrades who fell on 22/01/1879, as also to those who fell at Rorke’ Drift,  and also to those  members who died at Helpmekaar during the war.
I took no action on this matter until December, when I issued subscription lists to all District Officers in the Natal Police. The subscriptions were limited to 5/- , and I am very pleased to say , that with one or two exceptions , I have received these lists back with substantial contributions , so that up to the present  I have something between £40 to £50 already collected.
These amounts which will not be sufficient to erect a suitable memorial. However it is hoped to get more contributions from ex members of the force, once their addresses can be obtained.
It is hoped to get this memorial erected as soon as possible and with this end in view, those who have not subscribed yet, are asked to do so as soon as possible.
So, as soon as everything is in order, it is proposed to form a small committee to decide on the form the memorial will take , and to also supervise the erection of same. Although there is a stained glass window and a tablet in the small church at Isandlwana  ( also a tablet in St Peters church in Pietermaritzburg), yet it was felt that a memorial should be erected on the field in which the men fell.
An ex member of the force has been good enough to promise to transport all of the material up to the site free of charge and I  intend approaching the Government for free railage to the nearest railway station, so that we can be put to as little expense as possible.
A Force such as the NMP and later the NP, who have done such excellent service in South Africa, deserve to have their services recognized in a public manner, and when it is noticed that all units other than “the noble 24th”   and the NMP have a memorial in the field , it is our duty to show that we recognize the noble sacrifice that these men made to Queen and  Country.
I would in conclusion make an appeal to those who have not yet subscribed to do so at once, in order that we may proceed with the erection of the memorial.
signed ; W.Knott. ex NMP
Footnote by the editor of the Nongqai : We understand that that the South Wales Borderers , “the gallant 1/24th Regiment” are about to erect a memorial to their men who were killed on that fatal day at Isandlwana, and thus the NMP, will be the only unit whose names are not memorialized on the battlefield, if we don’t  act on the proposal.

regards
barry
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: NMP Memorial at Isandlwana   Thu May 28, 2015 6:49 am

Very interesting, Barry! Thank you for showing the report. The suggestion was timely, because by then the NMP/NP were soon to cease to exist, a fate that had already befallen the Newcastle Mounted Rifles and Buffalo Border Guard. Keeping the memory of fallen comrades alive is difficult when their units are also extinct. The exception in Natal is the Natal Carbineers, which still exists today, although, somewhat ironically, it is now made up largely of Zulus!

Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down

NMP Memorial at Isandlwana
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: COLONIAL REGIMENTS WHICH SERVED IN THE ZULU WAR OF 1879-
Jump to: