WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Up Close and Personal EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Up Close and Personal EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Up Close and Personal EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Up Close and Personal EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Up Close and Personal EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Up Close and Personal EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Up Close and Personal EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Up Close and Personal EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Up Close and Personal EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Up Close and Personal EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Up Close and Personal EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Up Close and Personal Bar_leftUp Close and Personal BarUp Close and Personal Bar_right 
Dash
Up Close and Personal Bar_leftUp Close and Personal BarUp Close and Personal Bar_right 
Hobbes
SRB1965
Bill8183
ADMIN
jgregory
John Young
Tim Needham
1879graves
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Up Close and Personal EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Up Close and Personal EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Up Close and Personal EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Up Close and Personal EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Up Close and Personal EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Up Close and Personal EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Up Close and Personal

Go down 
+6
John Young
Martini-Henry
rusteze
nthornton1979
littlehand
waterloo50
10 posters
AuthorMessage
waterloo50

waterloo50

Up Close and Personal Empty
PostSubject: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the training of  British Infantry with regards to 'hand to hand fighting'. It strikes me that the Zulus trained in the same manner that the Roman gladiators trained, 'in camps with arenas.'  All I can find out about British training is bayonet practice and boxing, does anyone know if the British did anything like 'unarmed combat' or was it everyman for himself using whatever was close to hand?  I can't seem to find anything on the subject. Perhaps this type of up close and bloody warfare was not thought about because of the superior weapons that the British had.

I read somewhere that during the American Civil War both sides made a distinction between 'close quarter fighting and hand to hand combat', was it the same for the British. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Regards

Waterloo Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 1:07 pm

There's some information here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Many Thanks littlehand,

I had a look at the link but there is very little on the subject of close in fighting, mostly a discussion about who would win with very little reference to training. 90th made a suggestion in 2009 that the topic 'had been discussed before but I'm not sure where to look. I have looked through my books and explored the web but I can't find anything so perhaps the answer is that there wasn't any hand to hand combat training. If it was the case that the British depended only on the bullet and bayonet for their defence then it shows how the British were woefully unprepared and how little they understood their enemy. The more I learn about the Zulu the more respect I give them, they were absolutely formidable.

Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 pm

This doesn't answer your question, but for interest:

"War was declared against the King of the Zulu's and the services of the 24th regiment were required. They embarked at East London for Natal, and landed at Durban. They marched to Pietermaritzburg for inspection and equipment ready for active service. The Colonel in command in the interval of waiting did not let them idle their time, but gave them plenty of bayonet exercise. And a good thing for some of us for soon after, we had to make good use of our steel."

Pte. C. Wood
(Rorke's Drift defender)
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm

I would imagine there wasn't a great deal of hand to hand, more so the Bayonet. When you say hand to hand is that in the sense say using knifes or barehands.
The only account I read was relating to Evans at RD, who by all accounts quite useful with his fists and was seen giving Zulus a few right hooks!
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 2:49 pm

I think in terms of a one to one encounter the huge advantage must be with the soldier - the combination of rifle round and bayonet is always going to trump spear and shield.  Where the advantage swings towards the Zulu is in weight of numbers. Being prepared to sacrifice lives to come into close contact is the only way it can work. Then, it is possible that the shield will deflect a bayonet thrust sufficient for the spear to stab home. I don't think weaponless hand to hand combat came into it for either side - so no real reason to train for that. Neil Aspinshaw's post back in Oct 2011 outlines the effort put into non-lethal bayonet training.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 3:40 pm

For Waterloo even today in the British Army it is only SF that get formal hand to hand/ martial arts training. It is available if you wish but not compulsory. The emphasis being on good marksmanship & bayonet drills. Boxing is a perennial of the Army of whatever era. So I suspect in 1879 it was bayonet, boxing & shooting. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Hello

I think bayonet exercise would be a soldiers main form of defence in a close quarter battle, its useful for keeping the enemy at a distance but what happens if the weapon is dropped or taken from the soldier. In the documentary 'Secrets of the dead', a comment is made that, 'It is easy to understand both the Zulus push to engage in hand to hand combat and the British soldiers determination to avoid it'. Some of the British remains at isandlwana suffered sharp force trauma, fractured jaws and a multitude of horrific injuries,  I don't think that any amount of bayonet exercise would have been a match for the Zulu weapons and their fighting skills, this is why I was wondering about the type of training the British had. I have read a few books on Infantry training during the Victorian period but most of the training is geared towards  battle formations, drill and general duties.' It seems to me that there was an attitude from the British that close in fighting couldn't happen and if it did good old British steel' would win the day.

Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Waterloo the prevailing wisdom today is if it gets to the bayonet - then we really are in trouble! Tho' in Iraq at one point it came to a bayonet charge.
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 6:01 pm

"The uKhandempemvu regiment was in the think of the battle of Isandlwana, and foremost in carrying the camp, though it suffered severely in the earlier stages of the conflict from the fire of the outlying companies; and now its chief told me how stubbornly some of our soldiers had fought to the last, many of them using their pocket knives when their bayonets were wrenched from them. Some even astonished their savage enemies by a well directed 'one-two', straight from the shoulder, flooring the too exultant warriors like ninepins. The Zulus could not understand how men could use their hands as knobkerries, the native is quite a stranger to the art of fisticuffs."

Mitford on Vumandaba's recollections of the battle.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Waterloo50,

When pressed I sure Tommy Atkins would fought with whatever was to hand, and without any Marquess of Queensbury rules.

Rudyard Kipling in his Barrack-Room Ballads poem Belts provides details of an unusual weapon for a scrap.

Joseph Murphy's Razors in the air which was performed by Barry Maxwell was written circa 1879/80, although it relates to Tennessee, it appears to have been popular with British troops serving in Africa, and gives us another close-combat weapon favoured by Tommy.  According to a number of reports the cut-throat razor saw action during the retreat to Dunkirk.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Dunkirk. I have a book that confirms that John. All took place behind a sanddune, witnessed by Sailor, who was in the wrong place at the wrong time! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I found this article about the cut-throat razor (it's very far from being an ideal weapon for close-quarters combat. As a folding blade, a straight razor is as much of a danger to yourself as it is to your enemy or attacker. and the straight razors I've seen have rather short blades (because just how long do you need a shaving implement to be? which further limits their efficiency)

I do like the comment from nthornton that 'The Zulus could not understand how men could use their hands as knobkerries, the native is quite a stranger to the art of fisticuffs', now that made me laugh.

Martini Henry, didn't the Brits use the bayonet during the Falklands War?

Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Yes,

I can't recall his name but one officer actually snapped his bayonet when he thrust it into an Argentine soldier on Mount Tumbledown.

Neil
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 pm

They were used on Mt Longdon too. Nasty work it was too. Soldiers of whatever era will do what they have to, to survive. Isandlwana at the end was surely bitter & grim.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm

This from todays  'The Telegraph'. 30/06/15

Last charge for the bayonet - a victim of modern warfare.

It defeated the Zulu Impi at Rourke's Drift, terrified the Germans in Flanders Fields and routed the Argentinians during the Falklands War.

Now the bayonet, one of the oldest weapons in the Army's arsenal, has been rendered redundant by the onset of modern technology. With the adoption of powerful new machine- guns and grenade launchers it is often impossible to use the bayonet in 21st century combat 'A Ministry of Defence spokesman insisted that its policy of bayonet use had not been altered, but conceded that the weapon was no longer suitable for some of the Army's principal weapons.

"It is true that you cannot fix a bayonet to some weapons that were used in Afghanistan by the Royal Marines," he said.

"But soldiers and marines are still taught how to use the bayonet when they are undergoing basic training and that will continue.

Waterloo'
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:25 pm

Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Mr Greaves,

Many thanks for the link,

This small article is very significant and has answered a lot of questions for me.

regards

Waterloo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:03 am

agree I knew it would.. Time to turn in Good night one and all.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:44 am

Caleb Wood offers a very good description of using the bayonet at RD, if there was any situation that barrels where to hot to hold for bayonet use it would have been there. Didn't seem to trouble those men of B company to much.
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 am

I wonder are there any studies on how easily broken, bent or snapped off the bayonets were? At Culloden in 1746 it is recorded that bayonets actually bent with the weight of the impaled bodies.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 am

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Up Close and Personal   Up Close and Personal EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 am

Nice John, I was looking for that.
Back to top Go down

Up Close and Personal
Page 1 of 1