WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Late Father's Militaria Collection
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyYesterday at 6:13 am by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL Bar_leftPAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL BarPAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL Bar_right 
John Young
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL Bar_leftPAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL BarPAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Kenny
Dash
SRB1965
EOA
DavidS
New topics
» Late Father's Militaria Collection
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am by lydenburg

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
die art

PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL Empty
PostSubject: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever message on this site and I hope someone out there can help me.

I am hoping to complete a large drawing and finally a full size painting of Private Wassall winning his VC at Isandlwana.

I know he was in the 80th Regiment (Mounted Infantry) and I've seen only one painting (by Ashew?) of him about to pull Private Westwood up on to his horse. In the painting he is wearing his red jacket with two bandoliers one going over his shoulder and one around his waist. And his cuffs and collar are the regimental Yellow but shouldn't it just be the collar that is yellow and the cuffs Red? Also I have seen photos and models of Wassall and sometimes he is just wearing just a shirt and one bandolier or the red jacket and one bandolier. Does anyone know what is the most accepted view of what he was actually wearing that day? I've also read somewhere that the horse he was riding was a Bustuto pony and was of an usual colour.
I am hoping to complete the most realistic and factually correct picture I can.

I would be very grateful for any help whatsover however small.

Regards

Die Art
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Hello die art and welcome to the forum.

You could contact the Staffordshire Regiment Museum for the details you need...I'm sure that they will be able to help you, there is also a thread on Private Wassall on this forum.

Kind Regards

Waterloo50
Back to top Go down
die art

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 8:02 am

Many Thanks Waterloo50
Back to top Go down
die art

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 8:56 am

Dear waterloo50

I just wanted to show you a copy of the email I sent the research department at the Staffordshire Regiment to see what you and other members think:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am looking for detailed information on what Private Samuel Wassall would have been wearing on the day he won his VC at Isandlwana.

I am hoping to complete a large full size drawing and finally painting of Wassall clinging on to the arm of his comrade Private Westwood as they wade across the Buffalo River. I have seen the painting by Jason Ashew of Wassall wearing his red tunic and two bandoliers but is there any written proof that this is exactly what he was wearing that day? And I know his collar would have been the regimental Yellow but would'nt the cuffs have been Red like they are in every other picture I've seen of Mounted Infantry including one of the 80th? Just as I've never seen a photograph or any other type of picture come to think of it of a Mounted Infantry man wearing two bandoliers (more likely in the Boer War).

I have this great picture in my head of Wassall wearing just the grey shirt and single bandolier going over his left shoulder while Private Westwood clings on to dear life wearing his full tunic and bandolier.
If I could reproduce this picture I have in my head on to canvas I know it would result in a very dramatic picture indeed. If there was an eyewitness account which states what he was wearing can you please tell me where I might find it.
Isn't it probably the case that like many of these moments in war that no one truly knows for sure what he was wearing at that exact moment he was crossing the river and "just dress them up" in the full uniform of the regiment forgetting the confusion and haste of battle? With thousands of Zulus killing everything in sight I don't think I would have worried too much about putting my tunic on! and that for the sake of dramatic impact a little bit of artistic licence is ok?

Please let me know what you think and any information no matter how small would be very gratefully excepted.

Kind Regards

Paul
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Painting of Private Wassall   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 9:54 am

Hi die art .
Good luck with your project , I hope it comes to fruition , I've sent the Staffordshire Research Department previous requests and didn't hear back , hope you have better luck .
90th
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 am

Die Art,

I know this doesn't help you at all, but I picked this version of events up this morning.

Published in The Pictorial World of 26th July 1879.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Private Samuel Wassall saving Private Westwood, 22nd January 1879.
John Young Collection.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
die art

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 11:34 am

Many thanks to 90th and John Y for your replies and especially for the picture which is one I've never seen before. I will let you know if the museum gets back to me but if they don't I will still complete the picture.

Regards

die art
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 7:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here's another that may be of interest.

Neil
Back to top Go down
die art

PostSubject: Re: PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL   PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:45 am

Many thanks nthornton1979

I didn't know there were so many sketches done of this one incident
I've just found out that in his own account of the battle Wassall wasn't wearing either his red tunic or his helmet its also very likely that Westwood wasn't wearing them either because the Zulus were concentrating on any soldier that was wearing red.

Die art
Back to top Go down

PAINTING OF PRIVATE WASSALL
Page 1 of 1