WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn: Lt. Melvill: You didn't really have to choose between your country and the Zulu, did you? Lt. William Vereker: Um, and a damn close thing it was too.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Photobucket
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by xhosa2000

» Lieutenant Robert D’Ombrain NNC 
Yesterday at 6:18 pm by ADMIN

» Colour Sgt (or was it Sgt?) Booth
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm by xhosa2000

» The Camp at Isandula, on the Morning of January 22nd.
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 pm by xhosa2000

» RYLEY John Rutherford
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm by old historian2

» St Quintin.
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 am by ADMIN

» An Old Zulu Warrior
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 am by SRB1965

» Who is he & where is he !!!
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 am by 90th

» iNtombi Drift
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am by 90th

» Talk about Henry Martin from Gurney Slade Somerset
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am by andysandersuk

» Francis Broadfoot Russell
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 am by rai

» Has anyone ever made a Zulu battle shield?
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 am by 90th

» WHY I JOINED THE ZULU CAMPAIGN by Orderley Room Sergeant Sam Priestly, Lonsdale's Horse
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 am by 90th

» Richard Groves, Quartertmaster Sargeant, 3rd Buffs
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 am by 90th

» Publications presentation
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:36 pm by ADMIN

Chaplain George Smith, Rorke's Drift--signed.
(Isandula Collection)
Largest private Anglo-Zulu War collection on auction
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

1879graves

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
xhosa2000

90th

Frank Allewell

ymob

1879graves

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

rusteze

John Young

SRB1965

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bennet

PostSubject: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I am looking for information regarding my great uncle above who was KIA at the battle of Isandlwana on the 22/1/1879. I am looking for any information regarding his service record which is apparently missing from the central archive with all the other information relating to the Natal Mounted Police. I already have obtained very useful information including his service number from the information available on this site and any further details or suggestions of other avenues to follow would be very helpful.
Also details of where he may be buried with any photos would be appreciated.

Rene Bennet
Back to top Go down
cam simpson

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Rene, sadly the only records remaining for the NMP to my knowledge are held by the SA Archives in Pietermaritzburg.

All I can add is that he was attested in Pietermaritzburg on 1.8.77, Aged 24. His Next-of-kin was him brother J. Fletcher who resided at No12 Ely Place, Georges Road, Southwark, London.

Cam.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Trpr Fletcher NMP    Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:55 am

Hi Bennet
Unfortunately all I have is the same as Cam , which is in Terry Sole's ' For God , Queen & Colony '
90th You need to study mo
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Trpr Fletcher NMP    Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:56 am

There are still a couple on here who may be able to help , these being Barry & Brett from Sth Africa .
90th scratch
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:01 am

I am sorry, but I cannot help in this instance.
Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down
Bennet

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:46 pm

cam simpson wrote:
Hi Rene, sadly the only records remaining for the NMP to my knowledge are held by the SA Archives in Pietermaritzburg.

All I can add is that he was attested in Pietermaritzburg on 1.8.77, Aged 24. His Next-of-kin was him brother J. Fletcher who resided at No12 Ely Place, Georges Road, Southwark, London.

Cam.

Very Many thanks Rene Bennet
Back to top Go down
Bennet

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:50 pm

90th wrote:
Hi Bennet
Unfortunately all I have is the same as Cam , which is in Terry Sole's  ' For God , Queen & Colony '
90th You need to study mo
Thanks

Rene
Back to top Go down
Bennet

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Brett Hendey wrote:
I am sorry, but I cannot help in this instance.
Regards
Brett

Thanks

Rene.
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Hello,

Not a huge amount of help regarding William Fletcher, however there is a possibility that the photo at the link below is the grave of his uncle Charles Edward (survivor of Isandlwana) in Pietermaritzburg:

http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=2864206

I made an enquiry about this on the forum last year:

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/t8221-trooper-c-e-fletcher-isandlwana-survivor?highlight=Fletcher

Sorry not to be of more help, however it would be good to ascertain whether the grave in PMB is indeed Charles the survivor's.

Regards,

Tim

Back to top Go down
barry

PostSubject: AZ/ABW graves in Natal.   Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 am

Hi All,
Anyone searching for war graves in Natal  would be very well advised to contact Mr Steve Watt(?s) in Pietermaritzburg. I have already posted his mobile  phone number on this forum and it will be found by doing a  forum search . His computerised data base is comprised of tens of thousands of entries. He will supply a cd with the names and grave location data , at a price, as well as there is a hardcopy version of his data already in the public domain.
A small number of NMP/NP are buried in the NP section of the municipal cemetery in Church St, in Pietermaritzburg ( near Grey's hospital).  A Fletcher entry may well be found by using these resources.

regards

barry

PS : Steve is the Pmbg representative of the  Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police   

Back to top Go down

Trooper 186 William Fletcher Natal Mounted Police
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENEALOGY-
Jump to: