Posts : 7081
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 51
Location : Down South.
|Subject: Staff Quarter-Master Sergeant J. E. Faulks, North Staffordshire Regiment Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 pm|| |
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
"Staff Quarter-Master Sergeant J. E. Faulks, North Staffordshire Regiment
India General Service 1854-95, 1 clasp, Perak (1362 Sergt J. Foulks, 80th Foot), note surname spelling; South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1878-9 (1362 Sergt. J. Faulks, 80th Foot); Army L.S. & G.C., V.R., small letter reverse (520 Paymr. Sgt. J. Faulks, N. Staff. R); Army Meritorious Service Medal, G.V.R. (S.Q.M. Sjt. J. Faulkes, S. Staff. Regt.), note surname spelling, contact marks and a little polished, nearly very fine or better (4) £1400-1800
--- John Edward Faulks was born at Marcraft, Uppingham, Rutland and enlisted in the 80th Foot at Leicestershire in August 1870.
Advanced to Corporal in July 1872, whilst serving in the Straits Settlements, he participated in the Perak Expedition 1875-76 and was advanced to Sergeant in August of the latter year (Medal & clasp). Having then served in China, he was embarked for South Africa in March 1877, where he served in the operations of 1878 and in the Zulu War (Medal & clasp), and was promoted to Colour-Sergeant in October 1879.
In January 1883, he transferred to the North Staffordshire Regiment, in which regiment he was employed as a Pay Master Sergeant and awarded the L.S. & G.C. Medal in March 1889. Then in July 1890 he transferred to the Corps of Military Staff Corps in the rank of Staff Quarter-Master Sergeant and thence, in April 1893, to the Army Pay Corps. He remained similarly employed until taking his discharge at Chester in July 1901, after 30 years with the Colours and was awarded the M.S.M. in AO 73 of 1912.
Faulks died at his residence in Padgate Lane, Warrington in December 1931, aged 82 years, having moved to the locality when serving as Staff Quarter-Master Sergeant in the Army Pay Corps. On taking his discharge, he worked for the Pearl Assurance Co. until 1922."