WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Quote: Lieutenant John Chard The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Captain David Moriarity, 80th, KIA Ntombe
This photograph taken when he was in the 7th Regiment prior to his transfer to the 80th. [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
The Battle of Isandlwana: One of The Worst Defeats of The British Empire - Military History
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
 
littlehand
 
Frank Allewell
 
ADMIN
 
rusteze
 
1879graves
 
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
 
John
 
Mr M. Cooper
 
impi
 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
rusteze
 
John Young
 
Frank Allewell
 
SRB1965
 
90th
 
ymob
 
Julian Whybra
 
aussie inkosi
 
1879graves
 
barry
 
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 
 

 What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
eaton

avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Supposing Durnford had never arrived from RD, would it have made any difference to the outcome?

E & F companies would presumably not have been sent up onto the spur, Raw would not have discovered the Impi and the first inkling of an attack would have been when the hordes suddenly appeared. Would Col. Pulleine have deployed his troops much differently?
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Spot on Les. Bvt Lt Col Pulleine had plenty of time to 'throw up' some defences from the first moment that the report of zulu's in the area was passed to him. He had hours before Col Durnford arrived to have some of the empty wagons moved, and arrange for redoubts to be erected, he could have made use of the dongas and the rocks, men could have made shallow trenches (or even made use of the dongas), and built them up with rocks for the men to fire from behind. He could have arranged for the ammo boxes to be prepared, and also arranged for the distribution of it, but he did next to nothing about it. Like I said earlier, he was out of his depth with a line command, he was more of an admin officer than a line officer. He should have called a meeting of his officers to discuss the matter, and if need be, asked the Boers for their advice, after all, they had some knowledge with regards to fighting zulu's.

So you are right Les, it might have been better to have asked what Pulleine did do, and the answer would have to be, next to nothing. I rather think that the man was totally at a loss from the moment that LC and Glyn left the camp, good admin officer, but an inept line officer, shame really, he looked a decent sort of chap.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Pulleine was an admin man but surely, even without any combat experience he would have understood the basics of warfare. He had  some time under his belt with the 30th regiment and in those early days of his career wouldn't there have been some from of basic military training in tactics taught to him. I keep reading that he was an excellent organiser but something happened to his mind set, I don't think that it was the massive task of defending the camp but more a fear of getting it wrong and perhaps being a Sandhurst boy he needed direct, specific orders, he couldn't do anything without them. He was probably one of those men that couldn't think or didn't dare think outside the box which is probably why he was so good as an admin officer, plenty of structure, no radical thinking required.
Back to top Go down
John

avatar

Posts : 2548
Join date : 2009-04-06
Age : 56
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 pm

It's a good job he had Col Durnford with him. Otherwise Pulleine would have taken all the Blame!
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

avatar

Posts : 1261
Join date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 am

Does anyone know where the photo is, showing the top of Isandlwana, it's on the forum somewhere? I have spent hours looking.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Already on the forum.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
rusteze

avatar

Posts : 2771
Join date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Is that Greaves as well?

I think it is probably right that Pulleine deployed his force, as per Chelmsford's general orders, in a pretty standard formation. Pearson did the same. So to that extent Pulleine followed orders. But it is a formation that is only going to work if the firing line is successful in halting the attack, the flanking NNC companies can then be sent forward to mop up and pursue the retreating Zulus.

But in practice the firing line could not sufficiently contain the attacking force, and in those circumstances the NNC companies broke ranks and ran. The dominoes then began to fall. The main argument, as far as I am concerned, is not that Pulleine made a mistake with his deployment, but that he had insufficient forces to bring enough fire power to bear. The error, both his and Chelmsford's (and Glyn's) was that no kind of redoubt was built for the firing line companies to fall back on to mount a final defence and to regroup. I would not absolve Chelmsford from blame because he did not think it necessary, but Pulleine could have cobbled something together, particularly if Glyn had attended to leaving some instructions as he could easily have done. Glyn was very aware of Pulleine's inexperience.

Steve
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
rusteze

avatar

Posts : 2771
Join date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:02 pm

No I don't think Pulleine " lacked any capacity to think for himself", that overstates it. He was inexperienced and he faced a situation that was outside of his compass. A more experienced commander would probably have lost the day too. To my mind, the fact that there were no staff officers left in the camp also made it more difficult for Pulleine to consult. You cannot expect company officers to intervene whatever they may have thought privately. I don't care how experienced you are, if you face overwhelming odds and half of your force is ineffective, you aint gonna succeed.

Steve
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
rusteze

avatar

Posts : 2771
Join date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:56 pm

You nor I know very much at all about Pulleine either on the day or previously. He is a shadowy figure. You are prepared to condemn him out of hand based on the little we know, I am not. Hence my view that you are overstating his lack of any capacity to think. It cannot be resolved either way. Our judgements differ that's all.

Steve
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 pm

To my mind, Pulleine would have been more than capable of defending the camp but his inability to assess the information that he was given in the early stages was his downfall the same goes for Durnford. We know that Durnford thought that the Zulus were perhaps trying to outflank Lord Chelmsford and cut him off from the camp and Pulleine appears to think the same thing. In all reality what could Pulleine have done other than what he did. He quite rightly in my opinion sends out Lieutenant Cavaye out to picket the hills in the North. Although he wasn't entirely aware of what was about to unfold his orders to Captain Mostyn to support Cavaye indicate that he was reacting appropriately to the situation as it unfolded. Pulleine never fails to react to the threats as they happen, which is exactly what he was supposed to do. He was smart enough to understand that Mostyn and Cavaye would require support as they withdrew and again he reacts by sending out Captain Younghusband, to me this is a good indicator that Puleine was an officer that could think on his feet. There is no doubt in my mind that had he realised much earlier on that the target was the camp and not Lord Chelmsfords column as Durnford  had suggested then he would have prepared adequate defences. If Durnford had remained in camp with Pulleine, I suspect that the outcome would have been exactly the same, I don't believe that Durnford would have made any radical changes to Pulleines defence of the camp. I think we don't give enough credit to Pulleine and his ability as an officer.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:19 pm

"If Durnford had remained in camp with Pulleine, I suspect that the outcome would have been exactly the same"

I don't think Pulleine expected Durnford to leave, that alone would have put Pulleine in an awkward position. This action alone could have placed Pulleine way out of his depth. Did he feel obligated in looking after Durnford, after all During Durnfords retreat caused the line to become over extended!
There are two occasions that come to mind that's shows Pulleine lacking in command.
1) Where Melville spoke up against Durnford wanting to take two compaines of the 24th.
2) Garner suggested Pulleine disobeys LC orders.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

I agree, I think Pulleine would have expected Durnford to remain in camp, I don't agree that Durnfords actions placed Pulleine out of his depth, like I said earlier I don't think Durnford would have made much difference to the outcome. It is understandable why Pulleine handed command to Durnford despite Durnfords response that he wouldn't interfere. So, Pulleine finds himself in command of the camp.  

1) Pulleine had already informed Durnford that 'I think I can hardly do that, my orders are to defend the camp and we could not spare the men'. Pulleine even showed Durnford his written orders from LC. Lets not forget that under Queens regulations, Durnford out ranked Pulleine.
As far as I am aware, Pulleine only agreed to meet Durnford's request if it came as an order, Melville quite rightly tries to argue the point with Durnford, We can't use Melville's comments as proof that Pulleine was lacking in command. What else could Pulleine do other than to inform Durnford of his orders? Melville was simply trying to reinforce what Pulleine had already stated.
2) Gardner suggest that Pulleine ignores the order to 'send out the tents', and Pulleine takes his advice, why wouldn't he? he has Shepstone telling him that he needs help and the situation calls for fast thinking. Again Pulleine responds to an immediate crisis and forms the men up. I can't see how ignoring Clery's order proves Pulleine was lacking in command.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:01 pm

xhosa2000 wrote:
Good post Waterloo, and well reasoned!. the sentence at the beginning of your
piece i'm afraid tells the tale... " but his inability to assess the information that he was given in the early stages was his downfall".. as commander his rapid assessment and reaction to what was
unfolding was crucial..remember the timing's!, from early morning to the moment the whole Zulu
army showed its hand.. the speed of this battle cannot be underestimated. how much time would he
have had?. giving where is forward company's  were.and what was happening around him in the camp.  

Thanks for that Xhosa,

I think that what I have learned in more recent times is the speed that this battle unfolded, its easy for us to debate the situation at leisure but the reality was that things moved pretty fast, decision had to be made quickly, there wasn't too much time for indecisiveness. The best that Pulleine and others could do was to react to the situation as it unfolded.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

avatar

Posts : 2771
Join date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:33 pm

I rather go along with what Ian Knight says about the exchange between Gardner and Pulleine.

"Pulleine can be allowed his moment of confusion. Just an hour or two earlier the sound of firing at Mangeni had confirmed in the minds of almost everyone in the camp at iSandlwana that Lord Chelmsford was engaged in a significant action 20 kilometres away. The recent Zulu movements on the heights had been mysterious, but hardly threatening: now the news brought by Shepstone seemed to turn their understanding of the situation on its head......."

Knight also makes this telling comment. "Brickhill then saw Pulleine walk away with Gardner, and any comments Pulleine may have made, any expansion on his decision or orders he may have given to his adjutant or the 24th Battalion officers are lost to history".

There is much we shall never know about Pulleine and it is just too easy to add two and two and make six.

Steve
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:20 pm

rusteze wrote:
I rather go along with what Ian Knight says about the exchange between Gardner and Pulleine.

"Pulleine can be allowed his moment of confusion. Just an hour or two earlier the sound of firing at Mangeni had confirmed in the minds of almost everyone in the camp at iSandlwana that Lord Chelmsford was engaged in a significant action 20 kilometres away. The recent Zulu movements on the heights had been mysterious, but hardly threatening: now the news brought by Shepstone seemed to turn their understanding of the situation on its head......."

Knight also makes this telling comment. "Brickhill then saw Pulleine walk away with Gardner, and any comments Pulleine may have made, any expansion on his decision or orders he may have given to his adjutant or the 24th Battalion officers are lost to history".

There is much we shall never know about Pulleine and it is just too easy to add two and two and make six.

Steve

Steve,
The quote you gave from Ian Knight from Zulu Rising, above that paragraph is 'Captain Gardner then said to Colonel Pulleine, who seemed thoroughly perplexed as to what he ought to do, 'Under the circumstances I should advise your disobeying the Generals order for the present at any rate. The General knows nothing of this, he is only thinking of the cowardly way in which the Zulus are running before our troops yonder'.

That comment from Gardner to Pulleine with regards to disobeying orders, is that accepted as fact, also why did Gardner write a further note about the situation to Lord Chelmsford when Pulleine had already done so? It feels like Gardner was undermining or at least trying to highlight Pulleine's inability to command.
Back to top Go down
eaton

avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Do we know what Gardner actually wrote - does his message still exist?
Back to top Go down
rusteze

avatar

Posts : 2771
Join date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Waterloo

Jackson mentions it as well and ascribes it to being overheard by Brickhill the translator - he uses the words "thoroughly nonplussed". I think Jackson paints a better picture of the exchange - Gardner arrives and hands Pulleine the order to pack up tents, Pulleine reads it out loud and at the same moment Shepstone arrives in an excited state. He reports the Zulu attack and urgently asks for reinforcements. Gardner says you had better disregard the order your reading for now because the General is not aware of any of this. Pulleine is, understandably, perplexed/nonplussed for a moment. As to Gardner's intentions I am not sure. He makes no mention of Pulleine's perplexed state in his report to the Inquiry, but he does say the order from Chelmsford included an instruction to Pulleine to entrench. It is worth a read.

Steve
Back to top Go down
eaton

avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:57 pm

rusteze wrote:
Waterloo

Jackson mentions it as well and ascribes it to being overheard by Brickhill the translator - he uses the words "thoroughly nonplussed". I think Jackson paints a better picture of the exchange - Gardner arrives and hands Pulleine the order to pack up tents, Pulleine reads it out loud and at the same moment Shepstone arrives in an excited state. He reports the Zulu attack and urgently asks for reinforcements. Gardner says you had better disregard the order your reading for now because the General is not aware of any of this. Pulleine is, understandably, perplexed/nonplussed for a moment. As to Gardner's intentions I am not sure. He makes no mention of Pulleine's perplexed state in his report to the Inquiry, but he does say the order from Chelmsford included an instruction to Pulleine to entrench. It is worth a read.

Steve


How can that be if Pulleine was being instructed to pack up the camp?
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm

If the order did state entrench then the tents would have been laid out and used to form part of the defences. Is that what LC meant by send out the tents.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:30 pm

As I said in one of my earlier posts, Pulleine had many hours before Durnford arrived to have organised some sort of defences after getting various reports of zulu's in the area, but he did next to nothing about it. He could also have gathered his officers for their opinions and also have asked the Boers for their advice.

The orders that were left with him DID NOT come from LC or Glyn, they were quickly written as an afterthought by Clery because LC had failed to leave Pulleine any orders at all, and we all know that Clery was a junior officer to Pulleine, so, I ask again, were those orders really legal, because Clery was Junior to Pulleine and a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, so obviously, Clery did not tell Pulleine that the orders did not come from LC or Glyn but from him.

Durnford had very little time in which to organise anything after his arrival, however, he did at least organise scouts and sent out his own men to gather better information about what the zulu's were up to, and reports came back that a large body of them were moving towards LC, so what was he supposed to do about that, ignore it?

Pulleine was in command of the camp, and even if Durnford outranked him on his arrival, Durnford himself said that he was not staying at the camp, so no matter how long Durnford was at the camp, Pulleine knew full well that when Durnford left, he (Pulleine), would still be in command of the camp.

Like I said earlier, Pulleine was out of his depth, and even though he may have shown some reaction to the various situations as they developed when the zulu's attacked, he should have reacted a lot earlier when the first reports started coming in about zulu's in the area, but he did next to nothing about it all.
Back to top Go down
eaton

avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:55 pm

As he had all his companies out on a firing line to the front, presumably little or no thought was given to protecting the rear.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi Martin,

Durnford had led Pulleine to believe that the threat was to Chelmsford not to the camp, Pulleine also didn't realise that the threat to the camp was real until Shepstone came rushing back with his reports, even then Pulleine couldn't assess the situation because of the amount of dead ground in front of him and a lack of any clear view of the heights, he did however react to Shepstone's request and act accordingly. The only clue that something may of been happening was the amaNgwane that he could see in the distance but even then they seemed to be otherwise occupied. I understand that there were earlier reports of Zulus in the area but these weren't interpreted as being of any immediate threat. So perhaps Pulleine's actions in light of what we know now are understandable.
Back to top Go down
eaton

avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
Hi Martin,

Durnford had led Pulleine to believe that the threat was to Chelmsford not to the camp, Pulleine also didn't realise that the threat to the camp was real until Shepstone came rushing back with his reports, even then Pulleine couldn't assess the situation because of the amount of dead ground in front of him and a lack of any clear view of the heights, he did however react to Shepstone's request and act accordingly. The only clue that something may of been happening was the amaNgwane that he could see in the distance but even then they seemed to be otherwise occupied. I understand that there were earlier reports of Zulus in the area but these weren't interpreted as being of any immediate threat. So perhaps Pulleine's actions in light of what we know now are understandable.

Who made that decision?
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:53 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
Hi Martin,

Durnford had led Pulleine to believe that the threat was to Chelmsford not to the camp, Pulleine also didn't realise that the threat to the camp was real until Shepstone came rushing back with his reports, even then Pulleine couldn't assess the situation because of the amount of dead ground in front of him and a lack of any clear view of the heights, he did however react to Shepstone's request and act accordingly. The only clue that something may of been happening was the amaNgwane that he could see in the distance but even then they seemed to be otherwise occupied. I understand that there were earlier reports of Zulus in the area but these weren't interpreted as being of any immediate threat. So perhaps Pulleine's actions in light of what we know now are understandable.

Where's this from Watetloo?
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
As I said in one of my earlier posts, Pulleine had many hours before Durnford arrived to have organised some sort of defences after getting various reports of zulu's in the area, but he did next to nothing about it. He could also have gathered his officers for their opinions and also have asked the Boers for their advice.

The orders that were left with him DID NOT come from LC or Glyn, they were quickly written as an afterthought by Clery because LC had failed to leave Pulleine any orders at all, and we all know that Clery was a junior officer to Pulleine, so, I ask again, were those orders really legal, because Clery was Junior to Pulleine and a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, so obviously, Clery did not tell Pulleine that the orders did not come from LC or Glyn but from him.

Durnford had very little time in which to organise anything after his arrival, however, he did at least organise scouts and sent out his own men to gather better information about what the zulu's were up to, and reports came back that a large body of them were moving towards LC, so what was he supposed to do about that, ignore it?

Pulleine was in command of the camp, and even if Durnford outranked him on his arrival, Durnford himself said that he was not staying at the camp, so no matter how long Durnford was at the camp, Pulleine knew full well that when Durnford left, he (Pulleine), would still be in command of the camp.

Like I said earlier, Pulleine was out of his depth, and even though he may have shown some reaction to the various situations as they developed when the zulu's attacked, he should have reacted a lot earlier when the first reports started coming in about zulu's in the area, but he did next to nothing about it all.

Martin you ask was the order written by Clery legal? Why wouldn't it be.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Lets not forget that we have the benefit of hindsight. As I said earlier, he reacted to the situation as it unfolded. What do you think he should have done, perhaps Laager the wagons, dig an entrenchment, build a redoubt, ordering those type of defences would have taken a considerable amount of time to complete, if you hold that the camp should have had those defences in the first place then its LC that should shoulder the blame for not issuing those orders.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Your prior post where did that come from.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi LH.

The reason I ask if it was legal is because Clery was a junior officer, and a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, so if Clery took it upon himself to quickly write out an order and give it to Pulleine under the false pretences that it was from LC or Glyn, that would surely make the order Clery wrote illegal, as it was not issued by a senior officer, but by Clery himself, and as a junior officer to Pulleine, Clery cannot do that.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:21 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
Hi Martin,

Durnford had led Pulleine to believe that the threat was to Chelmsford not to the camp, Pulleine also didn't realise that the threat to the camp was real until Shepstone came rushing back with his reports, even then Pulleine couldn't assess the situation because of the amount of dead ground in front of him and a lack of any clear view of the heights, he did however react to Shepstone's request and act accordingly. The only clue that something may of been happening was the amaNgwane that he could see in the distance but even then they seemed to be otherwise occupied. I understand that there were earlier reports of Zulus in the area but these weren't interpreted as being of any immediate threat. So perhaps Pulleine's actions in light of what we know now are understandable.

waterloo, where is this from. scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Hi LH.

The reason I ask if it was legal is because Clery was a junior officer, and a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, so if Clery took it upon himself to quickly write out an order and give it to Pulleine under the false pretences that it was from LC or Glyn, that would surely make the order Clery wrote illegal, as it was not issued by a senior officer, but by Clery himself, and as a junior officer to Pulleine, Clery cannot do that.

It which case Clery would have been the ideal scapegoat! Wouldn't he!
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
Lets not forget that we have the benefit of hindsight. As I said earlier, he reacted to the situation as it unfolded. What do you think he should have done, perhaps Laager the wagons, dig an entrenchment, build a redoubt, ordering those type of defences would have taken a considerable amount of time to complete, if you hold that the camp should have had those defences in the first place then its LC that should shoulder the blame for not issuing those orders.

waterloo.

You say that Pulleine reacted to the situation as it unfolded, he had mnany hours prior to that to react to the reports of zulu's in the area, so he might have been better off reacting BEFORE the situation unfolded.

LC had already issued orders about defences for camps, however, he decided to ignore his own orders at iSandlwana.

Like I said earlier mate, Pulleine had plenty of time from the very first reports of zulu's in the area to arrange for some sort of defences for the camp, he had a number of hours to do something long before Durnford arrived, what could Durnford do in the short time he was there? But at least Durnford did arrange for scouts and lookouts, and he did arrange for his own troops to try to get better information about what the zulu's were up to on the hills.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:48 pm

littlehand wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Hi LH.

The reason I ask if it was legal is because Clery was a junior officer, and a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, so if Clery took it upon himself to quickly write out an order and give it to Pulleine under the false pretences that it was from LC or Glyn, that would surely make the order Clery wrote illegal, as it was not issued by a senior officer, but by Clery himself, and as a junior officer to Pulleine, Clery cannot do that.

It which case Clery would have been the ideal scapegoat! Wouldn't he!

Hi LH.

Yes, Clery knew that he was out of order doing what he did, and no doubt he would have been for the high jump, however, as Les has just said, Thesiger was very, very relieved that Clery had done it, and that is why he wasn't for the high jump and that is why he wasn't made scapegoat, because he had unwittingly given LC an excuse to blame Durnford and get his own backside off the hook along with Crealock.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:
Hi Martin,

Durnford had led Pulleine to believe that the threat was to Chelmsford not to the camp, Pulleine also didn't realise that the threat to the camp was real until Shepstone came rushing back with his reports, even then Pulleine couldn't assess the situation because of the amount of dead ground in front of him and a lack of any clear view of the heights, he did however react to Shepstone's request and act accordingly. The only clue that something may of been happening was the amaNgwane that he could see in the distance but even then they seemed to be otherwise occupied. I understand that there were earlier reports of Zulus in the area but these weren't interpreted as being of any immediate threat. So perhaps Pulleine's actions in light of what we know now are understandable.

waterloo, where is this from. scratch scratch

Hello Martin,

Its from Zulu Rising. Have I misquoted?


Last edited by waterloo50 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:01 pm

You say the order wasn't legal, are you talking in Military terms.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Best if you name the source! In the first instance.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 pm

littlehand wrote:
Best if you name the source! In the first instance.
Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

avatar

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 50
Location : Down South.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

For a minute we thought you knew more than Xhosa. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:23 pm

littlehand wrote:
You say the order wasn't legal, are you talking in Military terms.

The order cannot have been legal in military terms, as a junior officer cannot order a senior officer, and Clery knew that he was doing wrong issuing the order to Pulleine, and was also worried that he would now be hauled over the coals, however, LC was so very glad that the junior officer Clery had taken it upon himself to issue the senior officer Pulleine with an order, that nothing was done to discipline Clery, because Clery had unwittingly given LC the excuse he needed to clear his backside and dump the blame on the very dead Col Durnford, and that is why nothing was done to discipline Clery.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2013-09-18
Location : West Country

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:24 pm

littlehand wrote:
For a minute we thought you knew more than Xhosa. Very Happy

I know more than others but less than most Very Happy

Xhosa is a degree student, I'm still at CSE level...lol
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Mr M. Cooper

avatar

Posts : 2522
Join date : 2011-09-29
Location : Lancashire, England.

PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Les, agree Salute Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.   

Back to top Go down
 
What could Col Pulliene have done? To secure the camp and all of its provisions, with the men and equipment available to him.
Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: