WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyYesterday at 6:13 am by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Dr David Glynne-Fox Bar_leftDr David Glynne-Fox BarDr David Glynne-Fox Bar_right 
John Young
Dr David Glynne-Fox Bar_leftDr David Glynne-Fox BarDr David Glynne-Fox Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Kenny
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
SRB1965
Dash
1879graves
robgdad
New topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am by lydenburg

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Dr David Glynne-Fox

Go down 
+5
nthornton1979
xhosa2000
Kenny
rusteze
waterloo50
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
waterloo50

waterloo50

Dr David Glynne-Fox Empty
PostSubject: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 1:08 pm

I was reading an old article today (2008) about Dr David Glynne-Fox he is the one they called Dr Zulu.
After a bit of research the only information that I have found on him was on a similar Zulu war site. The article posted a link to an interview that Dr Zulu had with the BBC but the link is down or is no longer available. I was hoping someone on the forum may have another link or at least an idea where I can hear the interview, I have searched the BBC archives but had no luck. Does anyone know if he has given any interviews or has he had anything published recently.

Dr David Glynne-Fox is the first man in the country to get a PhD in the Zulu War. His interest began after seeing 'Zulu', starring Michael Caine, in 1964. Despite his passion for this period of history David has never been to the battlefields, he says, All of my friends, who are enthusiasts, can't believe it either. The trouble is I keep buying artefacts and spending all the money I could use to go to South Africa."

Cheers.

Last edited by waterloo50 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 pm

I guess this may be what you found. There are some posts from Glynne-Fox in which he mentions his PhD.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 pm

rusteze wrote:
I guess this may be what you found. There are some posts from Glynne-Fox in which he mentions his PhD.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I had read that article, I was wondering if Dr Gylnne-Fox had written anything further as a result of obtaining his PhD, a book or a new area of research perhaps.  Is his thesis available to read? In fact, is there anything new being researched or written at the moment. I enjoyed reading TMFH and I have been looking for similar works.

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 3:21 pm

I think the only notable research in the last few years has been TMFH and Julian's two volumes of essays. I think he may be working on a third.
PS. I think JY has a book in the offing but no dates for publication.
Steve
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Comment deleted,

Kenny leave it out! Very last warning!
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Kenny wrote:
Deleted?

I don't think that they just hand out PhD's, it took me two years to get a diploma, a further two years to turn that Diploma into a degree and a further one year to get a Masters and in order just to get that amount of work done, I had to attend one college and two universities plus on the job training. At the end of that little academic spell in my life I never wanted to read another academic piece of work again, so god only knows how much commitment it takes to get through a PhD.
A PhD is basically research training leading to a professional research qualification. In order to get the PhD, you have to provide your thesis written up as a dissertation, the dissertation is then discussed with professional academics. There is no such thing as an easy PhD. I'm sure that Dr Glynne-Fox earned that PhD and I take my hat off to him for completing it.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:24 pm

There is no such thing as an easy PhD. I'm sure that Dr Glynne-Fox earned that PhD and I take my hat off to him for completing it.

Hear Hear!.

The sheer volume of work required is underpinned by a very serious commitment,
one which cannot be undertaken lightly. richly deserved i'm sure...

The Anglo Zulu War, as an academic subject has probably peaked now, with i should
think only limited ' discoveries ' still to be revealed..iv'e operated on the fringes of
the AZW fraternity for a lot of years and on the whole they are a pretty nice bunch!
i'm talking about people who could be considered prominent in this field, not forum
members in particular.. but some are riven with jealousy, they have supersized egos
and the pettiness to match..i know who they are and steer well clear of them, i can
do without prima donna's with an axe to grind..life's to short and no one has exclusive
rights to the subject which has enthralled successive generations.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 pm

xhosa2000 or anyone else that is able to answer.

A couple of questions if you don't mind, as you and a few other members have been around the 'fringes of the AZW fraternity for a lot of years', can you think of any discovery or a piece of research that changed your outlook on the AZW and Isandlwana in particular. As you are probably aware, I have only been a member for a few years and the most recent thing that altered my way of thinking was TMFH and I'm still undecided on that. Also, what piece of information/research do you think needs to be carried out in order to further your knowledge? do you think that there needs to be more archaeological work carried out?
The thing is we talk about the AZW but we never really discuss what the best methods are for studying it. The obvious answer to some of these questions will no doubt be that you should read as many AZW books that you can get a hold of, but what other resources are there.

One final question, an important one this...Have any of the debates on this forum ever altered your mind, in other words, have you ever been convinced by another member(s) to alter your point of view on any of your long held beliefs about the AZW.

To all, please feel free to answer, I value your input.

Cheers Salute
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:35 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
rusteze wrote:

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I had read that article, I was wondering if Dr Gylnne-Fox had written anything further as a result of obtaining his PhD, a book or a new area of research perhaps.  Is his thesis available to read? In fact, is there anything new being researched or written at the moment. I enjoyed reading TMFH and I have been looking for similar works.

Many thanks.

My book on Rorke's Drift will be released later this year.

Neil
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 pm

nthornton1979 wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:
rusteze wrote:

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Many thanks.

My book on Rorke's Drift will be released later this year.

Neil

That's brilliant news, good on you. I will buy a copy, is there any chance of getting you to sign it please..
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Of course Waterloo, that'll be no problem at all.

Neil
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox    Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Neil
I'm also looking forward to it as well ! Shocked
Cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Yes Neil, me to, looking forward to your new slant with
fresh information. Salute
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Talk about TMFH, what about TMFP (The missing five posts) I know there were a few negative remarks made earlier but can anyone offer an answer to the questions that I have posted, 'without bickering'. I was honestly interested to know how people studied the AZW, we have some smart people on the forum, I wanted to know how they go about researching the AZW and what type of resources they use, plus I wanted to know if anyone thought that enough archaeological work had been carried out.  I won't hold my breath on waiting for a response on the forum question.simple really. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Its really very simple! i answered your post in good faith, those who dont
want me! in particular to speak on any thing come out in the usual fashion
and play their infantile games, and then admin seeks to erase all memory,
as if it never happened..it really is quite sad, you posed some very good
questions.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 4:27 pm

No answers were given to Waterloo's question. Just the normal stupid remarks.
Admin was to trusting, taking you back, you can't help it with the snide comments.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Believe it or not Xhosa I like reading your posts and I appreciate your honesty. no worries if you don't feel that you can answer the questions, I thought that I may learn something or at least pick up a couple of good tips on how best to research the AZW. I was also interested in the remark that you made about 'Limited discoveries yet to be revealed' hence my question about archaeology, are we now at a stage in time where we won't see any new pieces of evidence come forward?
I like to think that someone, somewhere has a diary or an old letter tucked away which will shed new light on Isandlwana....here's to hoping.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Thank you waterloo, and i hope to answer some of your
questions if able.

Littlehand, i dont have a snide bone in my body!, i would
not abuse admins trust. if people dont like my style so be
it.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm

No
Back to top Go down
brillo1970

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm

xhosa2000 - I echo waterloo's comment; being a new member, I read your posts knowing I can learn from your knowledge on the subjects being discussed..
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 8:31 pm

agree
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 pm

brillo1970, thank you for that, we can all
learn together, i hope to continue posting.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox    Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Waterloo
I firmly believe there are old letters , notes & Diaries etc still laying undiscovered in people's attics or cellars , just waiting to be discovered , hopefully those who stumble across them realise what they have , and don't bin them immediately . I too enjoy Xhosa's posts , he may seem like he doesn't mince his words , which is good , he speaks from the heart re the AZW and matters concerning it . As for Archaeology re the battlefield at Isand /RD , or anywhere for that matter in SA , I doubt it will ever happen again ; those who are running SA I don't think wish, or want to do so , plain and simple , happy to be corrected agree . Sorry what were your other questions ? .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi 90th

There were a couple of things

You are one of those members that I consider to have plenty of knowledge on the subject, so how did you get to the point where you are now, it wasn't just reading books was it? what resources have you used to build you knowledge base, are you one of those people with a good memory, do you keeps notes like I do, what's your secret?

I was also interested to know whilst being a member of this forum has any debate that you have entered into changed your way of thinking, has any other member managed to change your point of view on any long held beliefs that you may of had on the AZW. I'm asking because I keep finding myself agreeing with one point of view then someone else comes along with a more convincing argument and on it goes. If there was something you held to be historically accurate and you have now got a different view on it, could you say what it was?

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now... Very Happy

Cheers

Last edited by waterloo50 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Just thought of another question that I have been itching to ask, quite a few people collect old AZW books, books that were written shortly after the AZW, I tend to shy away from old books because of the cost and the fact that they are probably going to be inaccurate, new info, research and all tends to change over time so other than their value as antiques, do these old books help to contribute to our understanding or are they just collectors pieces?

My apologies for bombarding everyone with questions. Its just that I enjoy the research side of things as much as I do reading about the history.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm sure Xhosa can steer you in the right direction!
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:12 pm

littlehand,

Maybe your right, I did read that Xhosa has a pretty impressive AZW book collection. Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 pm

If you like to research go into "The ones the History books forgot" look for the threads with no replies and see if you can find any information on them. Your be surprised what you find, better still see if you can find there graves /Memorials. Can be done take alook at the grave section.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:17 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
littlehand,

Maybe your right, I did read that Xhosa has a pretty impressive AZW book collection. Salute

See what he comes up with! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

90th wrote:
Hi Waterloo
I firmly believe there are old letters , notes & Diaries etc still laying undiscovered in people's attics or cellars , just waiting to be discovered , hopefully those who stumble across them realise what they have , and don't bin them immediately . I too enjoy Xhosa's posts , he may seem like he doesn't mince his words , which is good , he speaks from the heart re the AZW and  matters concerning it . As for Archaeology re the battlefield at Isand /RD , or anywhere for that matter in SA ,  I doubt it will ever happen again ;  those who are running SA I don't think wish,  or want to do so , plain and simple , happy to be corrected agree  . Sorry what were your other questions ? .
90th Salute

Amafa funded a palaeontologist to do some research in and around Isandlwana a short while ago, he was sent out looking for fossil beds which he found. I would of thought that a team of palaeontologists would have caused as much damage as the archaeologist. The last dig that I know of was with Ian Knight and they made some good discoveries such as the position of the firing line. I bet there is still plenty left there to be discovered.

Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:25 pm

littlehand wrote:
If you like to research go into "The ones the History books forgot" look for the threads with no replies and see if you can find any information on them. Your be surprised what you find, better still see if you can find there graves /Memorials. Can be done take alook at the grave section.

Brilliant suggestion, I'm more than happy to have a crack at it.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 pm

PS
If you really want to know about research take alook at forum member 1879Graves, possibly the best researcher on the forum.

Here's some of his posts

Discussing the Battles is interesting, but looking at the men who took part even better and on going.

If you really are interested purchase "Legacy of the Rorkes drift Heroes" by Kris Wheatley.

Did you know a RD Defender won a lottery!
A RD defender stole a steam train to save his family!
10 volumes all worth having.

Take alook at her website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Home page favourite links if the link I posted doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 pm

I have 8 volumes, all very interesting. The research must have taken ages.
Does anyone know if there is going to be a volume 11?
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox    Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Waterloo I've sent you a pm Very Happy
90th .
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 am

John wrote:
I have 8 volumes, all very interesting. The research must have taken ages.
Does anyone know if there is going to be a volume 11?

Hi John,

Kris will not be doing any more Legacy books although she has completed research for Volume 11 which I have on disc.

I can speak with her if interested.

Neil

Last edited by nthornton1979 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am

waterloo50 wrote:
Just thought of another question that I have been itching to ask, quite a few people collect old AZW books, books that were written shortly after the AZW, I tend to shy away from old books because of the cost and the fact that they are probably going to be inaccurate, new info, research and all tends to change over time so other than their value as antiques, do these old books help to contribute to our understanding or are they just collectors pieces?

My apologies for bombarding everyone with questions. Its just that I enjoy the research side of things as much as I do reading about the history.

Hi Waterloo,

My own thoughts are that old books are very important. Of course there are some excellent modern books which are very important too, but there is also some dross out there. New theories are fine if backed up with evidence/sources but unfortunately some authors now claim to debunk myths when they are actually the ones creating the myths. We are at a stage where the 'truth' is being portrayed as wrong and then replaced with flawed theories which claim to be the newly discovered 'truth' with no evidence to back it up

There are some excellent authors out there but there are also some who I feel do more harm than good. The trick is to form your own conclusions based on the primary sources.

Neil
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

nthornton1979 wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:

Hi Waterloo,

My own thoughts are that old books are very important. Of course there are some excellent modern books which are very important too, but there is also some dross out there. New theories are fine if backed up with evidence/sources but unfortunately some authors now claim to debunk myths when they are actually the ones creating the myths. We are at a stage where the 'truth' is being portrayed as wrong and then replaced with flawed theories which claim to be the newly discovered 'truth' with no evidence to back it up

There are some excellent authors out there but there are also some who I feel do more harm than good. The trick is to form your own conclusions based on the primary sources.

Neil

I'll go with that Neil.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 pm

nthornton1979 wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:

Hi Waterloo,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for responding, its appreciated. Salute
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Some of the old dust gatherers must be getting pretty rare now, the same probably goes for old maps, I was wondering where people stand as far as copyright goes on these old books and maps. I have seen a number of books that have been re-released as later editions but if for example you owned an old map (a one off) could you publish or reproduce it or would there be a copyright issue. If I could spend £800 on an old book I would at least expect to have full ownership of its contents.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Hmmm, that's a tricky one, i have a few bits and bobs apart from books,
but as to the law regarding copy write i have not the first clue, sounds a
bit like you might have a commercial idea in mind, in which case you
would need to check it out thoroughly.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 am

All
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Copyright has a lifespan of 100 years ? , not sure exactly what that may entail in regard to Books, Maps & CDV's etc etc scratch
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am

xhosa2000 wrote:

Hi Xhosa,

No, I've not got any commercial ideas but I'm surprised others haven't put something together, a book similar to the size of Hill of the Sphinx with maps, old photographs or drawings pulled together from some of these old books would be quite refreshing, a few paragraphs here and there could make an interesting read. The other thing that would be quite good is a collection of some of the old satire that occasionally gets posted on here like the one posted earlier with Chelmsford, a collection of those cartoons would be a nice addition to any collection.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 am

Hi Waterloo
I've actually asked IK to produce a book dealing only with the Colonial's diaries and notes etc , as they are spread through many books , damn hard to find at times , I suggested he gather all of them and put them in one publication , here's hoping he does so ! . Along the lines of the Who's Who in the zulu war , but only the Colonial statements and reports , I'd certainly buy one !
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 am

90th wrote:
Hi Waterloo
I've actually asked IK to produce a book dealing only with the Colonial's diaries and notes etc , as they are spread through many books , damn hard to find at times , I suggested he gather all of them and put them in one publication , here's hoping he does so ! . Along the lines of the Who's Who in the zulu war , but only the Colonial statements and reports , I'd certainly buy one !
90th  Salute

Imagine the time you would save if all the diaries and notes were in one book. That type of thing would be a big seller.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:32 pm

90th wrote:
All
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Copyright has a lifespan of 100 years ? , not sure exactly what that may entail in regard to Books, Maps & CDV's etc etc scratch
90th Salute

Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
xhosa2000 wrote:

Hi Xhosa,

No, I've not got any commercial ideas but I'm surprised others haven't put something together, a book similar to the size of Hill of the Sphinx with maps, old photographs or drawings pulled together from some of these old books would be quite refreshing, a few paragraphs here and there could make an interesting read. The other thing that would be quite good is a collection of some of the old satire that occasionally gets posted on here like the one posted earlier with Chelmsford, a collection of those cartoons would be a nice addition to any collection.

Hi Waterloo,

Lock and Quantrill published the Illustrated London News 'under one roof' so to speak. The prices are quite frightening though. I paid considerably less than that. It's worth keeping an eye out on eBay and the like...

Neil
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 8:43 pm

nthornton1979 wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:
xhosa2000 wrote:

Hi Xhosa,

Hi Waterloo,

Lock and Quantrill published the Illustrated London News 'under one roof' so to speak. The prices are quite frightening though. I paid considerably less than that. It's worth keeping an eye out on eBay and the like...

Neil

Neil / Xhosa, did you look at the price on that link for a new hard cover book? seriously, that can't be right can it?
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 11:03 pm

I got mine for about $ 40 AUD ( 20 GBP's ! ) from Ike's bookstore in Durban back in 2014 , a bargain I thought even then .
90th You need to study mo
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Dr David Glynne-Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Waterloo, Gary. hiya both, yeah i looked at the link,
crazy s..t.. But i think part of the reason might be
the perceived rarity of a book, and some of us think
this is the greatest subject ever!. but in reality it is
probably a niche subject..unknown and un-cared by
the other ninety per cent of the planet.

Some of these book's have a very limited print run
and in time you get a feel for the one's that you know
are going to be that bit more ' special '. i then go into
pre order mode, or try to buy as soon as. The next one
for me is out at easter, a Zulu War map orientated
ltd ed, which i have already paid for! but to be brutally
honest! i buy every thing i can on the Zulu War in any
medium. i even buy the non fiction. Splendor and the
Dust, The Tune that they Play and other's. like ive said
before i'm a sad case. no redemption, no time off for
good behavior.

I like the book, cant remember what it cost, i don't keep
receipts ever, they get binned along with the packaging
straight away. its nice to have the red book as well,
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Dr David Glynne - Fox   Dr David Glynne-Fox EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Thats true we are in a niche market , I'm still looking for ' The Red Book ' at a reasonable price , so far I've heard nothing .
I keep my receipts , have done since I started buying reference books , but only from the last 12 years or so , they sit nicely in a A-Z Folder ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Sad Les , I know LOLLLLLL Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker
90th You need to study mo
Back to top Go down

Dr David Glynne-Fox
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next