WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Prince Imperial Leave Request at Woolwich
Today at 12:55 am by xhosa2000

» Lieutenant-Colonel Gerald Lionel Joseph Goff.
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm by 90th

» R.I.P Terry Sole
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 pm by nitro450

» Major Gonville Bromhead VC
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 am by SRB1965

» Lt. G. Pardoe 1st Btn 13th (Somerset) Light Infantry
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 am by ADMIN

» Natal Hussars
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm by Rory Reynolds

» Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm by Tim Needham

» Lieutenant Henry Lysons
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 pm by ADMIN

» Lt. H.Valentine Jay. Natal Native Contingent
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 pm by ADMIN

» Lieut & Adjutant Henry Julian Dyer
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 pm by ADMIN

» Lt Gonville Bromhead
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm by ADMIN

» MAJOR FRANK BROADWOOD MATTHEWS
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 pm by ADMIN

» Lodge Isandlwana Masonic Military Lodge
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 pm by Muhlenbeck

» Lt. G. Baker 3rd Btn 60th Regiment
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm by ADMIN

» Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers, killed in action at Isandlwana
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 pm by ADMIN

Lt. General Sir J.G. Wolseley, General Officer Commanding
Mac and Shad (Isandula Collection)
The Battlefields of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

xhosa2000

SRB1965

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Victorian Dad

Brett Hendey

rusteze

aussie inkosi

FLYNN

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Appendix 4, Neils Book

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
nthornton1979

PostSubject: Re: Appendix 4, Neils Book   Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks Frederic,

All deleted now. I think all those who were following the thread have read and digested my thoughts, so keeping the posts 'live' would serve no further purpose anyway.

Cheers
Neil
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Appendix 4, Neils Book   Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Hammar sounds like quite a guy, i wonder how he was feeling
as events unfolded.. he did not speak English so his encounters
with the British must have been baffling to him at first, but he
went on to forge a career in Natal, and to think.. he walked over
250 miles on an injured leg.. things really were different back in
the day.. the article below is from the net.

To South Africa
A year later he decided to emigrate to the British colony of Natal in South Africa. Writing to his parents on 13 October 1878 from London, he said "On 15 October I am embarking on the steamer Balmoral Castle, a sturdy boat of almost 3000 tons, leaving from the West India Docks". Then in a letter in November he referred to the impending clash between British and Zulu forces: "... when I came to Durban, I found the situation very bad ... it would cost 15 to 20 pounds to go to Potchefstroom by post cart, carrying just a night bag. Even by ox wagon would be beyond means ... I couldn't stay in Port Natal (Durban) as I had not a penny ... after much discussion I decided to go first to Oskarsberg ..." (the Swedich Church Mission near Rorke's Drift in Northern Natal, under the Rev. Otto Witt). August walked 270 miles with an injured leg, and was met by Otto Witt. August wrote: "Otto said 'Greetings! August' ..... he had received notification of my arrival .... we mounted horses and immediately galloped to Oskarsberg ..... we made 20 kilometres in one and a half hours."

The imminent outbreak of hostilities between British and Zulu armies forced the Swedish family to abandon the mission at Rorke's Drift and August made his own way into the nearby hills. On 22 January 1879, he observed the activity of the Battle of Isandhlwana at a distance of five to six miles. This battle was one of the greatest defeats of the British army. Whilst trying to return to the Mission, he was cut off by a Zulu impi (regiment) and spent the night in the hills watching the epic resistance of the British forces at Rorke's Drift. Thus August Hammar on his arrival in Natal was unexpectedly connected with major events in its history. He sketched the scene of the battle at Isandlawana, and later the scene of the death of the French Prince Imperial in June 1879. This painting was later sent to his mother Empress Eugenie, the widow of Louis Napoleon. August became a member of Baker's Horse, a volunteer mounted regiment, and was with them in July 1879 at the defeat of the Zulu armies at Ulundi in Zululand.
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Appendix 4, Neils Book   Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 am

Frank Allewell wrote:
Frederic
For your interest this is a list of sources and rough notes I have used.

Return of Natives killed or captured by the Zulus on or since 22 January BPP,C2367 ( Natal) Highlights the numbers of killed and captured to drive stolen cattle over the river.

Zibhebu/Gibson.
Statement on removing stolen cattle from Natal. Proof positive that Zibhebu did in fact cross the river.

George Smith ‘
Account by an eye witness’ Natal Mercury, 7 April 1879, splitting of the regiments.

Chard (WO32/7737) PRO. Commentary on the size of the enemy early in the morning.
"We were removing the thatch when a LARGE body of the enemy appeared on the hills to the SW." ( The fact that Chard specifically mentions a large body would tend to rule out the ‘straglers’ theory)
And
About 8 am the third column appeared in sight, the enemy who had been gradually advancing, falling back as they approached. ( Advancing to attack? )

The account prepared for Queen Victoria, Royal Archives:
Heading ( original document) Enemy re-appear
I thought at the time they were going to attack us. ( Chards conformation that there was a potential attack on the way)

Hook: mentions the men put on the roof to watch for attack and nervousness.

Letter from Chard to Queen Victoria 21st February 1880: repeats

Lord Chelmsfords letter 23rd Jan to BF. Bolsters two other comments of the same nature, There were a large body of Zulu in the second of the two groups. Confirms Chards comment.

Location of meeting between Zulu impi and Chelmsfords Column
Harford: journal ( Childs)
Symonds: Symonds Papers ( comments : ‘they looked like a 10 acre mealie field turned black’) Emphasises the size of the group they met.

Henry Fynn: States he recognized group as uThulwana

Maxwell Diary: mentions lone zulu charging

Exploration with Charles Aikenhead and Paul Garner.
George Swinny, Umsweanto.

Map of traditional route RD/iSandlwana. Ken Gillings

Im still convinced, Henry Fynn being the main reason, that the first meeting climbing out of the Manzimyama was with the uThulwana. That position is pretty well endorsed by other accounts, many of them. The sighting later in the morning, aprox 8 oclock, by the Zulus at RD, of the returning column led to the recrossing on the Mzinyathi and their retreat towards iSandlana via the traditionsl route. that route is visible from a distance as the old road crossed the last rise ( see the photos I published).
I will mark up a map later to show the various meeting points and sightings.

Cheers

Bonjour Frank,
There is also the testimony given by Major Spalding.
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appendix 4, Neils Book   

Back to top Go down

Appendix 4, Neils Book
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-