WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command. Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Norman Lister Black. NNC
Today at 8:33 am by Frank Allewell

» Isandlwana:Zulu Battlefield DVD
Today at 8:01 am by SRB1965

» James Bickley, Isandlwana survivor
Today at 3:26 am by Frank Allewell

»  Isandlwana cultural centre
Yesterday at 3:08 pm by xhosa2000

» The death of His Royal Highness Prince Shange (1936-2017)
Yesterday at 3:00 pm by xhosa2000

» Zulu 'flag' at Khambula
Yesterday at 7:56 am by littlehand

» Coghill and Melvill issue
Yesterday at 5:47 am by SRB1965

» Adding to the Library
Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm by xhosa2000

» Lt. A. Mynor's Gravesite at Ft Pearson Cemetery
Wed May 24, 2017 2:53 pm by 90th

» Lieut-Gen Sir Edward Hopton , K.C.B., J.P., D.L
Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 am by John Young

» EDWARD HOARE REEVES
Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 am by littlehand

» Capt. A. Gardner 14th Hussars (Staff Officer No.3 Column)
Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm by littlehand

» Thinking of my Home Town
Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am by rusteze

» Lt. A. Mynors 3rd Btn 60th Rifles.
Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am by ADMIN

» RYLEY John Rutherford
Tue May 23, 2017 5:09 am by 90th

Captain Lord E.F. Gifford, VC
Pursuit of Cetshwayo [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
The Origin and Rise of the Zulu Nation
Our Favourite Web Links
Legacy of the Rorke’s Drift Heroes Kings Own. The Wardrobe. The National Army Museum. The Anglo Zulu War Museum. The Zulu War 1879. Soldiers Of The Queen. Zulu War Historical Society. John Dunn Foundation The Martini-Henry Rifle. Ian Knight's Website. Zulu War Author & Historian. All About the Martini Henry. Neil Aspinshaws new website. The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon) Swords From The USA.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

1879graves

tasker224

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
andysandersuk

PostSubject: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi I am probably asking the impossible but does anyone know if there is a way of finding out where the soldiers who were killed at Isandhlwana were from? I.e.Their home towns.
We are having a celebration day for Henry Martin a local who was at Rorkes Drift. There were a few other locals there as well. So it seems likely that there were more at Isandhlwana. I have a list of names but not where they were from.
Thanks for reading.
Andy
Back to top Go down
Petty Officer Tom

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:27 pm

andysandersuk,

There is a memorial window, located in the north transept of Wells Cathedral, to the Somerset men who fell in the Zulu War.  (The above information taken from “The Shepton Mallet Journal,” page 5, Friday, November 13, 1903.)

I hope this helps.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 pm

There is a family headstone in Haselbury Plucknett to Private Frank Gooding of the 3rd Regiment (Mounted Infantry) who possibly survived Isandlwana but later died in Helpmekaar.

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Someret Soldiers Killed at Isandlwana    Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi Andysandersuk
Yes you can , there is a publication titled ' The Noble 24th ' by Norman Holme ...it does state where many of them were born or where they enlisted , not all of them , but quite a few . How many names do you have ? . The book can be picked up on ebay for about 30 GBP's if you are lucky .
90th
Back to top Go down
andysandersuk

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes Tom it does thank you very much. I live 10 minutes away from Wells so I will go and take a look, all the best.

Back to top Go down
andysandersuk

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you Tim, I will check that out.
Back to top Go down
andysandersuk

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Excellent advice, thank you. I have ordered the book from eBay, managed to get it a bit cheaper - second hand.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
wentworth

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Greetings. 1348 Private Cornelius Marney [Mahoney on some rolls.] in 1861 was living in Chilcompton with his parents, [ born in Cork], and his two brothers, both born in Chilcompton. Regards.
Back to top Go down
andysandersuk

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:24 pm

wentworth wrote:
Greetings.  1348 Private Cornelius Marney [Mahoney on some rolls.] in 1861 was living in Chilcompton with his parents, [ born in Cork], and his two brothers, both born in Chilcompton. Regards.

Thank you Wentworth, Chilcompton is 5 mins from me, and Henry Martin, who was at Rorkes Drift.
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Andy,

You may already be aware of another Rorke's Drift defender at Paulton, Somerset - link below to some photos of his grave:

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/t672-972-pte-george-edwards-orchard?highlight=Orchard

With regards to Cornelius Marney, it may be worth having a look inside the church as there could be a memorial of some description. Or on a family headstone in the churchyard?

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 am

Actually Gooding WAS a survivor of Isandhlwana. I now know this for certain (see latest edition of England's Sons).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana    

Back to top Go down

Somerset soldiers killed at Isandhlwana
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: ZULU WAR BATTLES-
Jump to: