WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Corporal Storey: Oh no! Come all this bloody way to get shot by a bullet from Birmingham? Shoot straight you bastards!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Pte. G. Nutt 1st Btn 13th (Somerset) Light Infantry
Yesterday at 7:39 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. G. Manuel 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment
Yesterday at 7:37 pm by ADMIN

» 1362 Pte Frederick Hitch VC.
Yesterday at 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Rorkes Drift Zulu Indunas
Yesterday at 7:02 pm by SRB1965

» Pte. F. Fitzpatrick 94th Regiment.
Yesterday at 6:36 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. B. Coates 94th Regiment
Yesterday at 6:16 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Tarrant 2nd Btn 3rd (East Kent) Regiment 'The Buffs)
Yesterday at 6:14 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Kingston 2nd Btn 3rd (East Kent) Regiment ('The Buffs'),
Yesterday at 6:11 pm by ADMIN

» 1373 Pte Alfred Henry Hook VC.
Yesterday at 6:09 pm by ADMIN

» Pte. A. Atkins 2nd Btn 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment
Yesterday at 5:59 pm by ADMIN

» Midshipman Cadwallader Coker.
Yesterday at 5:49 pm by ADMIN

» Midshipman H. Radford HMS Active
Yesterday at 5:47 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations 3
Yesterday at 5:31 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations 2
Yesterday at 4:47 pm by ADMIN

» Memorials & Locations
Yesterday at 4:10 pm by ADMIN

Commander Crawford Caffin, R.N
H.M.S. Natal, aboard which the prisoner Cetshwayo was transported from Port Natal to Capetown. Caffin had joint charge of the King with Captain Ruscombe Poole, R.A. (Isandula Collection)
BBC Timewatch - Zulu: The True Story
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brillo1970

PostSubject: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Open Request - - Is there any one map of the Isandlwana battlefield showing all landmark mountains and heights scouted and skirmished in by Chelmsford's forces - - -Qwabe, Hlazakazi, Malakatha, Magogo, Ndutshana, Phindo, etc? I would like to get a better comfort level of location name and distance as I continue my study of the battle. I visited Isandlwana last August but was viewing my photos recently which raised my question: when looking East at the Conical Hill from on top of the Spur, across the plain there are 2 "hills" on the right of Amatutshana and 2 elongated heights running south-to-north on the left - - - just would like to put a name to these landmarks and all others. Thanks in advance for any assistance, Larry
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm

In my experience there is no single map (contemporary or modern) which shows all those locations by name. The modern survey map of the area shows the topography very accurately but does not name names. The following version, based on Google Earth, is an attempt to pull various maps together. Those who know the ground may want to suggest adjustments but it is about right I think. Heights and distances can be calculated by going to Google Earth. Beware that some authors call the same locations by different names.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Steve
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Request Identifying Landmarks around Isandlwana    Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 am

Hi Brillo
If I'm following your directions properly looking East from the Spur the two heights on the Left are Isiphezi which is furtherest left ( Zulu Dawn was filmed there ) and then to its right is Silhutshana and Magogo to the right of Silhutshana . hopefully I understood your question ?
Cheers
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
brillo1970

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 am

Thanks for the response rusteze and 90th. It all helps.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Request Identifying Landmarks around Isandlwana    Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:07 am

Salute Cheers Brillo 1970
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The information on the map is open to interpretation but the layout is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:58 am

So photobucket doesn't work anymore?
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am

My Photobucket library still seems OK but it will not let me post images on third party sites anymore without paying an exorbitant fee. Now using imgur.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 am

Hi Steve
Ive sent a map to Pete for him to post. It was done by Gerrard Fox and places all the salient fixtures in position with names.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

This is the map Frank refers to. i posted it recently
on another thread.

Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

brillo1970, right click and download it so you
can zoom at will. cheers xhosa
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Request Identifying Landmarks around Isandlwana    Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Frank
That map was drawn by Rob's Sister... Sally Gerrard Fox , hope she doesn't see it on here ! lollll , she might not be happy ..Copyright and all that , Rob kindly gave me a copy .
cheers 90th .
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Yes Gary's quite right.. i invoke the fair use policy.
used only for educational purposes!. copywrite
acknowledged.. Sally Gerrard Fox. xhosa

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Request Identifying Landmarks around Isandlwana    Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Good one Les ! lollllll Salute . Hopefully she'll be fine with that .
90th Very Happy agree agree agree agree
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Have to admit I didn't put 2 and 2 together with the names.
'Factum Errata.'
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Hey Gary. Salute yes i hope she will be cool about it!.
no disrespect intended.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Request Identifying Landmarks around Isandlwana    Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm pretty certain Sally isn't a member , hopefully she'd be fine with it anyhow .
90th . Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Fortunatly my copy wasn't posted..............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana   

Back to top Go down

Request help identifying landmarks around Isandlwana
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: