WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Shepstone's last stand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Frank

I agree that it seems very possible. Could also explain why the order on Durnford's body had to disappear if the only other copy was being suppressed. Provides a clear motive which i'll admit was lacking before.

Indecently 14 year old me also bought 3 notebooks wrote Durnford's last order in it and left it in different places in my garden for 6 months. 2 were glued together and useless but the 3rd was legible Very Happy

Cheers
Sam
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:00 pm

If you are dashing off a note in the field in 1879 you are much more likely to use a pencil. Less or more durable than ink do you think?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 pm

You do have a point Steve, Pulleines note was in pencil. But there was ink in the camp, the report of the Zulus drinking it, so it cant be discounted. I assumed at the time that Crealock being the snob he was would have preferred the more formal. I am however sure that a pencil note would not fare any better under the elements, but must try it.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Shepstone's Last Stand    Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am

All
there was certainly ink in the camp but in those days it'd probably be in a bottle , no fountain pens I believe back then ? . Pencil much easier to use , and it can sit in one's pocket , no desk required ! lollll
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 am

Morning Gary
Funny you should say that, I have a mate who collects antique fountain pens. Seems they date back to the 1700s. Earliest one he has is an 1870. But I agree with you that its more likely the dip and write sort of thing. I was trying to find a sample of pen and ink in the field, the orders from Spalding to Durnford on the 19th Jan seem to be such.
Cheers Mate
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 am

Have a look at this Gary.
"Samuel Pepys, English naval administrator, mentioned in his writings a metal pen "to carry ink" in 1663 while Maryland historian Hester Dorsey Richardson also wrote about fountain pens that existed in 17th century. In the 19th century, standard pens were improved with mass production of cheap steel pen nibs which also influenced fountain pens. On May 25, 1827, Romanian inventor Petrache Poenaru received patent from the French government for a fountain pen which had a barrel made from a large swan quill. In America in 1848, Azel Storrs Lyman got a patent for a fountain pen with “method of supplying ink to pens from a reservoir in the handle”. These were not the only patents for fountain pens of that time but these pens needed three inventions to become popular: iridium-tipped gold nib, hard rubber, and free-flowing ink (early fountain pens didn’t understand the role that air pressure plays in the operation of pens). First fountain pen to have all this was made in 1850s. Duncan MacKinnon and Alonzo T. Cross invented in 1870 a variant of fountain pen called stylographic pen which used a wire in a tube as a valve for ink. All these pens were filled with an eyedropper. First self-filling fountain pens were invented in the early 20th century. They were crescent-filler pens (which had a rubber sac and a crescent button which pressed it) and twist-filler pens."

Always plenty to look at on this forum : You need to study mo
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Shepstone's Last Stand    Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 am

True frank , but I was meaning using the easier to use variety of fountain pens , I knew they had some type there as they did have bottled ink available , I'm thinking it was a nib attached to a length of wood or similar , Ok if your at a desk , not overly practical anywhere else . Hopefully you know what I'm attempting to say ! ? scratch scratch Joker Joker Joker
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 am

The question of the location of written orders in the camp is an interesting one. Chard went up to Isandhlwana on the morning of the 22nd to see whether he had any further orders. He tells us that there were no staff officers around and so he went to the HQ tent to find out. There must have been a list of orders kept there - probably by the clerk (who no doubt used ink!). Whether they were just orders for the day or a comprehensive set including, for example, Crealock's orders to Durnford, I do not know. Presumably that is also the location where the battalion records were kept such as pay lists and muster books. It is really quite surprising that none of that material seems to have survived.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

Just to return to the original question for a moment...my personal belief is that Shepstone, as has been said, should receive more credit for having kept open one side of the nek open. I put to you the following:
There is no report of Roberts's troop (with or without its officer who might or might not have been killed by 'friendly fire') returning down the spur. Suppose someone in that troop used his initiative and retreated down the western side of Isandhlwana to monitor/slow down the progress of the right horn.
Suppose that when the situation became dire a message was conveyed by one of Roberts's native troopers back over the nek. To whom would this native have made for to deliver that message? Isn't Shepstone the likely candidate? And what would Shepstone have done, realizing how serious the situation might become?
He would not have gone to Roberts's troop's aid alone. The only reserve that I know of without any specific assignment is Murray's coy - probably tired and exhausted after its night march - but probably lined up in front of the NNC tents. I believe Shepstone took Murray's coy and went to Roberts's aid and the bodies lying around him were those of Murray's NNC.
Speculative, yes, but not entirely.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Julian
The one thing against your theory is the terrain. When 'the situation became dire', the line had been pushed back, the reserves would have as well. With the line at the edge of the tents would be I assume your dire point? That would put the NNC in a position of having to do a serious uphill over the foothills below the cliff face to the Northern end, and most probably toward the enemy. Not something the NNC was keen on doing.
I think it was Nyanda that says the last time he saw Shepstone was in the tents. At that point the situation was worse than dire as the line had literally collapsed. It would have been impossible for Shepstone to move around the North of the mountain. That would leave the Southern approach and as that time frame approached the right Horn was already in the camp, again Nyanda. I would believe that for Shepstone it was then more of a fighting retreat and the only clue we have to that is Brickhill, the Basuto, rather thn the NNC. Brickhill knew the difference.

Regards
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

Damn, that may put a spanner in the latest diorama I am working on....Shepstones Last Stand....I have him with a few NNCI.....oh well....
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Frank
I was thinking more of the moment when the situation became dire for Roberts's troop.
I never anticipated that Shepstone would have moved 'north' of the mountain with reinforcements - a clear impossibility. Only ever south.
Nyanda did see Shepstone but when exactly that was is open to interpretation.
Nevertheless, I am grateful for the points raised.
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Question : « When you saw George Shepstone return to the camp, do you know what he came for ? »
Answer : «  I don't know but I heard him rallying the people and saying they were wanted at the front. They were soldiers and others left in charge of the baggage. The only time I saw Captain George Shepstone was when I went the second time to the wagons to get a gun...He was saying this – 'Why are you men not at the front ? Do you know that every man is wanted there ? [I.E : Indication of the order already given by Pulleine to rally the firing line???] - t those men who had been left in charge of the baggage. Captain Barton was also there trying to get ammunition [I.E : Important indication for the timeline] which however, he did not get, the man refusing saying that all the ammunition there was for the military and not for the contingent. Immediately after this the Zulus rushed into the camp... ». quoted in « Zulu 1879 », ed. Leonaur, by D.C.F. Moodies
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Fred
Thank you.
It is not open to interpretation.
And was not when the situation IN THE CAMP became dire.
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Je vous en prie (sorry in French).
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shepstone's last stand    

Back to top Go down

Shepstone's last stand
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2