WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Dawn: General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Memorial window to Lt. H.C. Jenkins 17th Lancers who was severely wounded at Ulundi
Yesterday at 10:18 pm by ADMIN

»  Isandlwana cultural centre
Yesterday at 5:04 pm by Frank Allewell

» 'What if' Rorkes Drift question.
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 am by SRB1965

» A new book on the Frontier Light Horse
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 pm by rusteze

» LSGC to a SNCO 2/24th
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 am by Kenny

» AZW Personality
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 pm by Gardner1879

» Charlie Raw
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 pm by John Young

» Ferreira's Horse
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:55 pm by Commandergood

» Colonel J. S. Young
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 pm by John Young

» Capt. A. Gardner 14th Hussars (Staff Officer No.3 Column)
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 pm by ADMIN

»  Designer of Historical Boardgames
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:39 pm by xhosa2000

» ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 am by ymob

» Natal Mounted Police nominal rolls - Introduction
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Battle of Gingindlovu
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am by 90th

» John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort VC, GCB, CBE, DSO & Two Bars, MVO, MC (10 July 1886 – 31 March 1946)
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am by 90th

Major-General Sir William Penn Symons
( Isandula Collection)
History Buffs: Zulu
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

1879graves

rusteze

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

Frank Allewell

xhosa2000

rusteze

John Young

SRB1965

Victorian Dad

Gardner1879

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Structures near the Manzimyama Stream

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rusteze

PostSubject: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 am

Some very interesting photos of the Manzimyama Stream area from Frank. The first is a remarkable (and early) photo of an impi making its way along the Manzimyama stream that I have not seen before. Frank has taken a recent comparison shot which I have put alongside. The third picture is what looks like a demolished cairn on the west bank of the stream.I will leave Frank to comment further.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Steve Reinstadtler
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 am

On Boasts sketch he does indicate a number of cairns on the western side of the Manzimyama. In the early photo theres at least 6 fairly large cairns which would indicate around 30 to40 bodies. Would this in fact be the last stand? Or would it be all the exhausted fugitives being put to the sword. I have located some scattered piles of rocks in the aprox position, they could of course be anything but as per the one in the picture they do seem to have a structure about what is left.
Again of interest is the amount of bush covering the battlefield.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Steve/Frank

Any ideas of the date of the 'impi' photo and what the warriors were up to?

Could it possibly be a still from the 'Symbol of Sacrifice' - movie?

ta

Simon
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:50 am

Sime
I don't know, the file I found them in has a number of old photos, including a shot of a cannon being towed along the old dirt road to iSandlwana from RD. At a guess looking at the collection I would put it around the Bambatha rebellion time, but that's such a guess. Hopefully JY can shed some light. Im happy to post the rest if it will help to date them.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Sime,

I would doubt it was from Symbol of Sacrifice as - to my knowledge - the iSandlwana scenes were filmed in the Transvaal.  For some reason the Prince Imperial scenes were filmed in KZN.

Looking at the photograph enlarged there appear to be quite a few Europeans amongst the Zulu.

I think it is one of Gugu’s early rehearsals for next year.  Joker

JY
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

For my shame - I have the film on DVD but I have never been able to get my wife & kids off the TV, long enough for me to watch it yet......
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Two more early photos from Frank. The film speed was sufficient to capture the moving gun team so I guess the photos must be 1900 or later.

Steve Reinstadtler
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm

John if I may be so presumptious to post one of your photos from a similar angle?
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Frank,

Post away old chap.

Looking at the gun crew I would hazard a guess at the Natal Field Artillery, circa the 1906 Rebellion.

I can’t make out if that is a gun-shield or limber playing tricks on my eyes. If it is gun-shield we could looking the Great War period.

JY
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm

John Young Collection
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Structures near the Manzimyama Stream   

Back to top Go down

Structures near the Manzimyama Stream
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: