On landing at Durban, from England, in April 1879, the right half of Major Duncan’s Battery proceeded to the Lower Tugela to form the Ammunition Column of Crealock’s Div. After arriving there, Major Duncan sent a detachment of the battery, under Lieut. Taylor, to Fort Chelmsford, to form a seperate column; so that convoys proceeding backwards and forwards could be supplied with ammunition at that position, whilst reserve ammunition could be served at the Tugela to the troops advancing. On the forward movement being made by the Div. to Port Durnford, the battery became again united. Major Duncan and Lieut. Taylor took part in the advance of Clarke’s Flying Column on Ulundi. After the capture of the King the battery returned to Natal.
Extracts from Mackinnon & Shadbolt's South Africa Campaign of 1879