Posts : 7086
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 52
Location : Down South.
|Subject: Fort Tenedos Sat May 07, 2011 12:22 am|| |
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Fort Tenedos was a large earth-walled fort and was constructed on the Zulu side of the Tugela River in January 1879, opposite Fort Pearson, to support the British at the start of the Anglo Zulu War. It was named Fort Tenedos after the British warship of the same name, and whose crew formed part of the Naval Brigade. The Fort was built under the supervision of Capt W.R.C. Wynne, R.E.
H.M.S. Tenedos was anchored off the mouth of the Tugela. Armament consisted of 2 guns from the Royal Artillery, 2 seven-pounder guns with the Naval Brigade and a Gatling gun. Local British Units consisted of the 91st Highlanders, Natal Hussars, the Durban Mounted Rifles, Alexandra Mounted Rifles, Stanger Mounted Rifles and the Victoria Mounted Rifles. There were also some 2200 Natal Natives formed into two battalions of the 2nd Regt., Natal Native Contingent and a company of Durnford's Natal Native Pioneer Corps. These were formed from local African tribes hostile to the Zulus.