Zulu: Lieutenant John Chard:What's our strength? Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead:Seven officers including surgeon, commissaries and so on; Adendorff now I suppose; wounded and sick 36, fit for duty 97 and about 40 native levies. Not much of an army for you
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Theresa Yelverton
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Capture aka, Lady Avonmore, of Empress Eugenie pilgrimage notoriety (Isandula Collection)
Anglo-Zulu war: Walking the battlefield of Kambula

Display results as :
Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Mr M. Cooper
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
John Young
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Petty Officer Tom
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_leftRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 BarRobert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Bar_right 
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.


 Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114

Go down 


Posts : 7086
Join date : 2009-04-24
Age : 51
Location : Down South.

Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Empty
PostSubject: Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114   Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 10:00 pm

"Robert Jameson. Sick Berth Steward 58114 
South Africa 1877-79 Medal (no bar) to HMS Himalaya (228 medals to Ship).
Naval Long Service & Good Conduct (VR Engraved Issue) (Awarded 24/07/1875)

Born - 2nd December 1844 Edinburgh, Scotland. 
Joined the Navy as a Boy 2nd Class on the 6th June 1859 - As Robert J. Sim, he volunteered to serve for a period of 10 years from the age of 18 (2nd December 1862). He joined HMS Hogue (A 74 gun third rate Ship of the Line 1811, being converted into a screw-propelled steamship in 1850). 

HMS Hogue 6th June 1859 to 30th June 1864

HMS HOGUE was the Coastguard Depot at Greenock in June 1859, a station she had been on since March 1858. Coastguards at this time were under the control of the Admiralty, serving as reserves; the coastguard ships were to act not only as a floating HQ for the local CG units, but also as training ships, to ensure the coastguards received a level of training which would allow them to be ‘called up’ in the event of a war.
In June 1859 she was commanded by Captain John Moore, who was succeeded by Captain Reginald J J G MacDonald in July 1859 and Captain Arthur Farquhar in August 1862

She seems to have remained at Greenock through 1859 until - 
1860 -July
5th July – Sailed from Greenock for Portland
10th July – At Portland with other Coastguard ships
20th July – Sailed from Portland with other guardships for exercises in the Channel
10th August – Arrived Devonport for refit
8th September – Left Devonport to return to Greenock, where she remained until...
1864 - May
26th May – Sailed from Greenock for Plymouth
29th May – Arrived at Plymouth Sound
30th May – Steamed into harbour “to be de-commissioned and her officers and crew turned over to HMS Lion.
30th June – HMS Hogue paid off

18 July 1859 A short reference was made in The Times of Saturday to a disturbance which took place last week in Keyham steam-yard, Plymouth, consequent upon the flogging of a seaman on board the screw steamship Caesar, 91, then in the Queen's (or No. 1) Dock, under repair. From subsequent inquiry it appears that some of the circumstances were very unseemly, and not likely to raise the position of either the civil or naval branches of Her Majesty's service. It is almost impossible to obtain a correct statement of every particular, but it is evident that William Stephenson, a seaman attached to the tender of the Hogue, has made two unsuccessful attempts to incite the crew of the Caesar to acts of insubordination, if not of mutiny. On the second occasion be entreated them "to follow the example of the crew of the Liffey and roll the shot about the decks." He then assaulted the boatswain, Mr. Grigg. When tried he was sentenced to receive 50 lashes and be imprisoned two years. Formerly be might have been hung at the yard arm for the same offence.

Boy 1st Class - 5th September 1861.

Assistant Sick Berth Attendant - 20th August 1862

HMS Lion 1st July 1864 to 13th June 1867
1st July 1864 joined HMS Lion an 80-gun second rate ship of the line of 1847 which was fitted with screw propulsion in 1859, she succeeded HMS Hogue as the Coast Guard Service ship at Home Station, at Clyde District, Greenock

1st July 1864 – Commissioned at Devonport by Captain Arthur Farquhar
6th July – Moved to Plymouth Sound
9th July – Sailed from Plymouth for Greenock
12th July – Arrived at Clyde District, Greenock.
29th July - the papers reported that “HMS Lion Sailed on Monday 25th on a cruise to the north and will be absent for about six weeks” 
5th March (Monday), 1866; another report recorded – “A melancholy Case of Drowning – On Friday night shortly after ten o’clock, Daniel McKenzie a licensed boatman discovered the body of a man floating in the river near Albert Harbour. The body was at once brought ashore and identified as Charles Simons, a third class engineer on board HMS Lion which is presently lying at the Tail of the Bank. The body, when found was quite warm and upon being conveyed on board the warship by some on the seamen belonging to HMS Harpy, means were adopted in order to restore animation but all proved of no avail.
The deceased had come ashore on Thursday night and it is supposed that while waiting to be conveyed on board the Lion on Friday night, had accidentally fallen into the river unobserved. No satisfactory explanation of the melancholy circumstance has yet been ascertained. The deceased was aged about 30 yeas and was unmarried. He had been about three years on this station and was much respected on board the Lion. The body will be interred to-day.

HMS lion seems to have remained on station at Greenock until 1867 – in August 1865 Captain John Hayes succeeded to the command – she was still at her moorings on 13 June 1867, but did sail a few days later.

1st July 1864 - Promoted to Sick Berth Steward 

HMS Warrior 14th June 1867 to 19th July 1870

14th June 1867 Joined HMS Warrior (as Robert J. Sime).The first of the Royal Navy's many ironclad capital ships, she entered service in October 1861.
June 1867 – HMS Warrior spent at Portsmouth
1st July – Commissioned by Captain John Corbett; most officers & men turned over from the Black Prince
8th July – Left Portsmouth for Spithead
17th July – Present at the Royal Review of the Fleet 
19th July – Returned to harbour and evident change of plan – Corbett and men from Black Prince ordered to be moved to the Mersey 
25th July – Commissioned by Captain Henry Boys for the Channel Squadron
18th August – Moved to Spithead
24th September – Sailed from Spithead to join the Channel Squadron on the coast of Ireland
7th October – The squadron sailed from Queenstown for a cruise to Lisbon & Gibraltar
15th October – Arrived at Lisbon
26th October – Left Lisbon for exercises in the western Atlantic
November – Spent at Lisbon
19th December – Arrived back at Spithead
21st December – Anchored off Osborne House as guardship
January to March – Spent at Portsmouth refitting
3rd April – Undergoing steam power trials in Channel
April to May – Remained Spithead
May – Sailed to Portland with the Channel Squadron
June – Spent with the Squadron Cruising in the western approaches
6th July – The Channel squadron returned to Spithead
July – Remained Spithead
30th July – The squadron sailed for Portland
14th August – The squadron sailed left Portland for cruise on the coast of Ireland; that night at 10.45pm as the ships were shortening sail the Warrior was in collision with the Royal Oak, the Warrior striking the other ship amidships, causing considerable damage; the Warrior lost her jib boom and her figurehead and damaged the bowsprit; the Royal Oak was ordered into Plymouth, the Warrior was able to continue. Part of the figurehead was left onboard the Royal Oak, the rest was found floating in the Channel by a fisherman. (Captain Boys subsequently court-martialled for hazarding his ship; cleared)
1st September – The squadron arrived at Belfast
15th September – The squadron arrived at Glasgow
21st September – Warrior left Glasgow for Plymouth
24th September – Arrived & anchored Plymouth Sound
8th October – Warrior was taken into dock for repair
24th November – Warrior re-joined Channel Fleet in Plymouth Sound
12th December – Vice Admiral Sir Thomas Symonds hoisted his flag onboard as Commander-in-Chief of the Channel Squadron
17th December – The Squadron sailed for Lisbon
December 1868 to April 1869 – Spent at Lisbon
20th April – The Squadron sailed from Lisbon for Portland
27th April – Arrived Portland
7th May – Warrior sailed from Portland and arrived at Spithead same evening
30th May – Taken into dock at Portsmouth to make good defects
17th June – Sailed from Portsmouth
23rd June – Sailed from Sheerness escorting the Bermuda Dock and tugs
4th July – Arrived at Madeira
6th July - At Madeira, in company with her sister, the Black Prince, the Warrior took over the tow to Bermuda of the 10,000 ton ‘Bermuda Dock’ (a floating dock); it was a single line tow with the Black Prince in the lead. Each ship carried several hundred tons of coal above her bunker capacity, most of it stowed in sacks on the upper deck.
29th July – Arrived at Bermuda 
22nd August – Arrived back at Plymouth
23rd August – Admiral Symonds struck his flag
25th August – Arrived at Portsmouth
August - Captain F H Stirling appointed to the command
August to September – Undergoing defect repairs
27th September – Sailed from Portsmouth to join the Channel Squadron
October – Taking part in exercises with Channel Squadron south of Ireland, then to “Lisbon, Madeira, Gibraltar and then returning to Lisbon where they will remain for the winter”
16th to 18th November – Spent at Madeira
29th November to 11th December – Spent at Gibraltar
21st December – At Lisbon
December to April 1870 – Remained at Lisbon
30th April – The Squadron sailed from Lisbon “for a months’ cruise on the coast of Spain” – this included calls to Vigo (6th to 16th May) and Corunna (18th May).
5th June – The Squadron arrived back at Plymouth
6th June – Warrior arrived back at Portsmouth

HMS Britannia 20th July 1870 to 14th September 1874
20th July 1870 joined HMS Britannia the Ex- HMS Prince of Wales a 121-gun screw-propelled first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on January 25, 1860. The advent of ironclads had made her obsolete before launch, so she was placed in reserve and never fitted for sea. In 1869 she was renamed Britannia and began service as a cadet training ship at Dartmouth

HMS Royal Adelaide 15th September 1874 to 21st October 1874 
15th September 1874 joined HMS Royal Adelaide - HMS Royal Adelaide was a 104-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 28 July 1828 at Plymouth.
She was converted to serve as a depot ship in 1860

HMS Himalaya 22nd October 1874 to 31st May 1878
22nd October 1874 joined HMS Himalaya a Troopship of 1854, commissioned 5th January, 1855, for particular service by Captain Benjamin B. Priest, and was afterwards commanded successively by W. H. Haswell, (25th March, 1877), John Seccombe, (21st July, 1858), Edward Lacy, (25th July, 1862) ; and again she was re-commissioned 18th February, 1867, by Captain Shute B. Piers, and almost continuously employed on troop service, has been commanded successively by Captain Edward Madden, Captains W. B. Grant, Edward White, and Harry W. Brent.

October 1874 –Was spent refitting at Devonport
22nd October – Commissioned by Captain William B Grant
29th October – Undergoing engine trials in the western Channel
9th November – Sailed from Plymouth for Portsmouth
10th November – Arrived at Portsmouth 
15th November – Sailed from Portsmouth carrying the 42nd Regiment of Foot (The Black Watch) with families (694 men plus 8 officers ladies, 57 soldiers wives and 115 children)
17th November – Called at Queenstown to embark elements of the 13th Regiment of Foot the Somerset Light Infantry (208 men plus 1 woman five children)
27th November – Arrived at Malta; disembarked the 42nd and embarked the bulk of 13th Regiment Light Infantry for South Africa
3rd December – Left Malta for South Africa (Simonstown)
8th December – Arrived at Gibraltar
9th December – Sailed from Gibraltar
16th December – Arrived at St Vincent, Cape Verde for coal and stores
23rd December – Called in at Sierra Leone
5th January 1875 – Arrived at Simonstown and disembarked troops early (were destined for Natal) – the ship reported to be suffering with engine difficulties (“... a disabled crankpin”)
2nd February – Sailed from Simonstown with the 86th (Royal County Down) regiment embarked
14th February – Called in at Ascension Island – still suffering engine problems
24th February – Called at St Vincent, Cape Verde 
5th March - Called at Madeira, from where she was escorted by HMS Sultan
9th March – Arrived at Gibraltar; transferred troops to the Tamar for conveyance home
19th March – Sailed from Gibraltar for England
26th March – Arrived at Plymouth
27th March – Taken into harbour for defect repairs
17th June – Undergoing sea trials off Plymouth
24th June – Embarked elements of the 11th (the Devons) and 16th Regiments (The Bedfordshire); and sailed from Plymouth
25th June – Arrived at Portsmouth; disembarked troops & sailed for Liverpool
27th June – Arrived at Liverpool
28th June – Embarked 95th regiment (The Derbyshire) and families
29th June – Sailed from Liverpool 
30th June – At Pembroke where she disembarked troops
2nd July – Arrived back at Portsmouth
27th July – Embarked 79th Highlanders (The Camerons)
28th July – Sailed from Portsmouth
1st August – Arrived at Granton
2nd August – Disembarked the 79th , embarked 1st Royal Scots and sailed for Aberdeen
3rd August – Arrived at Aberdeen; disembarkedthe Royal Scots, embarked the 99th Regiment (the 2nd Wiltshires) and sailed for Fort George
4th August, Scotland, Fort George. The 62nd foot (The 1st Wiltshires) Depot embarked with the 99th Foot Headquarters 'A', 'D', 'H', and 'K' Companies (14 Officers, 48 Corporals, 312 Men, 40 women and 99 children on HMTS 'Himalaya' for Ireland (The first and second Battalions of the Wiltshire Regiment)
9th August – Arrived at Dublin and disembarked all troops, The 62nd Foot Depot and the 99th Foot disembarked and transported by rail to Curragh camp and sailed for Plymouth
12th August – Arrived at Plymouth
28th September – Sailed from Plymouth
29th September – Arrived at Portsmouth
4th October – Sailed from Portsmouth for Ireland with the Royal Welch Fusiliers
7th October – Arrived at Queenstown (Cork); disembarked troops and embarked elements of the 25th foot (the Kings Own Scottish Borderers)
8th October – Sailed from Queenstown for Portsmouth
10th October – At Portsmouth; disembarked the 25th and embarked 82nd Regiment of Foot (The 2nd South Lancashire.)
12th October – Left Portsmouth for Ireland
13th October – Arrived at Queenstown (Cork) and disembarked troops
15th October - Left Queenstown for Dublin
16th October – Arrived at Kingstown (Dublin) – embarked 35th Foot (The Royal Sussex) and families for West Indies
24th October – Called at Madeira
8th November – Arrived at Jamaica and disembarked troops
11th November – Left Jamaica for Barbados
(25th ?) November – Sailed from Barbados with the 98th Regiment (The 2nd North Staffordshire)
12th December – Arrived at Malta and disembarked the 98th 
19th December – Sailed from Malta after embarking the 28th Regiment (Gloucesters)
25th December – At Suez
31st December – Called in at Aden
23rd January – At Singapore
31st January – Arrived at Hong Kong and disembarked troops
22nd February – Arrived back at Singapore
8th March – Sailed from Singapore carrying the 10th Regiment (The North Lincolnshire)
10th March – at Penang – disembarked troops after which she returned to Singapore to embark an Indian Regiment & sailed again
20th March – Arrived back at Penang
21st March – Sailed for India with 3rd Buffs and Ghurkas embarked
27th March – Arrived at Calcutta and disembarked troops
5th April – Arrived at Trincomalee 
9th April – Sailed from Trincomalee
17th April – At Penang
19th April – Left Penang for Bombay
29th April – Arrived at Bombay
6th May – Sailed from Bombay with the 10th Regiment (North Lincolnshire), plus invalids and time expired men with families embarked
20th May – At Suez
26th May – Called in at Malta
1st June – Passed Gibraltar
6th June – Arrived at Portsmouth and disembarked troops
8th June – Sailed from Portsmouth
9th June – Arrived at Plymouth for short refit & defect rectification
3rd July – Left Plymouth for Gravesend
5th July – Arrived at Gravesend and from Tilbury embarked the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment
8th July – Sailed for Ireland
10th July – Arrived at Queenstown and disembarked the 18th Foot
12th July – Sailed from Queenstown carrying the Cork Militia.
13th July – In collision with the Spanish barque Francisca off Isle of Wight; the Himalaya suffered little damage, but the Spanish vessel lost her bowsprit “The collision was sufficient to awake and alarm all the men, but in a few seconds the men fell in on deck in the most perfect order, maintaining complete silence”
14th July – Arrived Portsmouth and disembarked the Cork Militia for training?
26th July – Sailed from Portsmouth to return the Cork Militia to Ireland
28th July – Arrived at Queenstown and disembarked the Militia
29th July – Returned back to Plymouth
Captain E White assumed command
9th September – Sailed from Plymouth and called at Queenstown to embark more troops
21st September – Arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia and disembarked troops
30th September – Left for Bermuda
20th October – Arrived back at Portsmouth
22nd October – Arrived at Plymouth for a refit
9th December – Sailed from Plymouth
10th December – Arrived Portsmouth
12th December – Sailed from Portsmouth having embarked Royal Engineers and Royal Artillery & the 28th (North Gloucester) Regiment & families
14th December – Called at Queenstown to embarked various drafts of troops
25th December – At Malta where she disembarked some of the troops
1st January 1877 – At Port Said
3rd January – In transit via the Suez Canal
18th January – Arrived at Colombo
20th January – Arrived at Trincomalee
25th January – Sailed for Penang 
2nd February – Arrived at Singapore
5th February – Sailed from Singapore
14th February – HMS Himalaya arrived at Hong Kong. 
3rd March – Sailed from Hong Kong “with crews of relieved vessels, HMS Hornet, Midge, Growler and Swinger”
12th March – Arrived at Penang and embarked the 88th regiment (The Connaught Rangers)for South Africa
21st March – Arrived at Trincomalee
24th March – Sailed from Trincomalee for Colombo
25th March – Arrived at Colombo
26th March – Left Colombo sailing for Mauritius & South Africa
17th April – Arrived at Simonstown – disembarked the 88th regiment and embarked 296 men of the 32nd Regiment (the Cornwall LI)
21st April – Sailed from Simonstown
10th May – Called in at St Vincent, Cape Verde Is
24th May – Arrived at Plymouth
26th May – Arrived at Portsmouth. It was reported that …“she brought the HQ and three batteries of 2nd Brigade Royal Artillery from Hong Kong, Ceylon and Singapore, the relieved crews of HMS Hornet, Midge, Swinger and Growler gunboats as well as 19 invalids, 28 time-expired men; 13 women and 18 children and 24 convicts.
28th May – Returned Plymouth for refit
June to September – Was spent refitting at Plymouth – It was reported that several defects became apparent during maintenance, resulting in what should have been a two month maintenance period being extended (reported cost of refit £5,435)
12th October – Undocked after refitting
15th to 16th October – Damaged during a storm which hit southern England – Himalaya was moored in the Hamoaze and a German barque was driven down onto her
30th October – Left Plymouth for Portsmouth
31st October – Arrived in Portsmouth and embarked the 19th (1st Yorkshire North Riding) regiment of Foot plus families also draft of men for ships in the West Indies
2nd November – Left Portsmouth for the West Indies
17th November – At Bermuda and discharged troops etc
5th December – At Queenstown; discharged 87th (Royal Irish Fusiliers) Regiment (I assume that she brought these back from the West Indies)
8th December – Arrived back in Portsmouth with time expired naval crews from West Indies
19th December – Sailed with relief crews for the Devastation & Raleigh plus draft of troops from various regiments
20th December – Called in at Devonport to collect more ‘supernumeries’
31st December – Arrived at Malta and disembarked passengers
3rd January 1878 – Sailed from Malta with relieved crews of ships plus other time expired men
14th January – Arrived in Portsmouth
15th January – Sailed for Plymouth
16th January – Arrived at Plymouth
31st January – Arrived back at Portsmouth
2nd February – sailed with the 2/24th Regiment (South Wales Borders) consisting of twenty four Officers, eight Staff-Sergeants, thirty nine Sergeants, forty Corporals, sixteen Drummers and seven hundred and fifty Privates, bound for South Africa.
9th to 11th February – At St Vincent, Cape Verde
28th February – Arrived at Simonstown
6th March – Sailed for East London
8th March – Arrived at East London and landed the 2/24th who were ordered onto trains that took them to King Williams Town
It was for this short period of service that Himalaya received the South Africa 1877 to 79 service medal and of course it was Lt. Bromhead and "B" Company of the 2/24 who defended Rorkes Drift.

18th March – Arrived back at Simonstown
28th March – To Table Bay
30th March – Sailed for England carrying General Sir Arthur Cunynghame plus family and staff and a number of invalids.
29th April – Arrived at Portsmouth and disembarked passengers 
4th May – Sailed from Portsmouth with drafts of new men for various regiments – first call at Guernsey; sailed same night
5th May – Arrived Queenstown (Cork) and landed 600 men for various regiments
7th May – Sailed for Guernsey
8th May – Arrived in Guernsey and disembarked men of the Royal Artillery (Assume from Ireland)
9th May? – Arrived back in Plymouth, where she remained for the remainder of the month

HMS Royal Adelaide 1st June 1878 to 30st September 1878 
1st June 1878 joined HMS Royal Adelaide The Depot /Flagship at Devonport 

HMS Himalaya 1st October 1878 to 8th August 1879
1st October 1878 joined HMS Himalaya (Between May and September 1878 Himalaya had been under the command of Captain Edward White and she was being refitted at Plymouth; boilers cleaned; accommodation upgraded and altered for ‘high-ranking’ passengers; this included a portion of the saloon separated off to form a new dining room and six new cabins built
3rd October – Was spent undergoing sea trials
4th October – Sailed from Plymouth; to go to the Mediterranean to carry members of the government to various locations in the area.
17th October – Arrived in Toulon; embarked various government officials and staff who had travelled overland
26th October – At Naples where she embarked the First Sea Lord, Secretary of State for War and other government officials with their staffs 
29th October – Arrived at Larnaca in Cyprus; passengers landed for inspection of military sites
2nd November - Re-embarked and sailed to Famagusta
5th November – Sailed for Egypt
6th November - Arrived at Port Said
7th & 8th November – Spent at Alexandria
11th to 13th November – Spent at Malta
16th November – Arrived at Marseilles 
21st November – At Gibraltar
22nd November – At Lisbon
25th November – At Cork
27th November – Arrived at Plymouth and disembarked passengers
24th December – Arrived at Portsmouth to embark troops from various regiments and relief crews for ships in the Far East
28th December – Sailed for the Far East
9th to 13th January – Spent at Malta; disembarked some troops and supernumeries; embarked 27th Regiment (The Enniskillen’s)
17th January – Arrived at Larnaca, Cyprus and disembarked some families
19th January – At Port Said
26th January - Arrived at Aden
18th February - Sailed from Singapore
20th February – Arrived at Hong Kong; discharged the 27th foot and embarked 28th Regiment (The Gloucester’s) 
17th March - At Malacca
7th April – Called in at Aden
14th April – At Suez
18th April – At Malta
19th April – Sailed for Cyprus
24th April – Sailed from Larnaca with 20th Regiment (The East Devonshire, later The Lancashire Fusiliers) embarked 
29th May – At Malta, discharged the 20th Foot and sailed for England
11th May – Arrived at Cork and disembarked troops
13th May – Arrived at Portsmouth with a large number of time expired men and their families
15th May – Sailed to Plymouth
29th May – Sailed from Plymouth 
3rd June – Arrived at Greenock – embarked 79th Regiment (The Cameron Highlanders) and sailed for Ireland the same day
5th June – At Cork
10th to 14th June – at Gibraltar; disembarked the 79th; embarked 42nd (The Black Watch)
18th June – Arrived Portsmouth and disembarked troops
July to August – Spent at Plymouth

HMS Hercules 9th August 1879 to 30th April 1881

9th August 1879 joined HMS Hercules a Central Battery Ironclad of 1868 she was the first warship to mount a main armament of 10-inch guns. Being employed as the Coast Guard ship at Greenock on the Clyde until 1881
August 1879 – Found Hercules at Plymouth after exercises in the Channel, commanded by Captain Edward Howard
9th August – Left Plymouth for Ireland
11th to 12th August – Was spent at Dublin
13th August – Arrived at Greenock
November – Captain Samuel Townsend assumed command
She remained on station in the Clyde from August 1879 through to April 1880
2nd May 1880 – Sailed for Portsmouth 
6th May - Arrived at Portsmouth
7th May to 10th June – Was spent refitting, prior to joining the First Reserve Squadron for annual exercises
11th June – Moved to Spithead
12th June – Left Spithead in company of HMS Belleisle
14th June – Arrived at Holyhead
17th June - Present at the opening ceremony of Holyhead docks and pier by the Prince & Princess of Wales (...gun salutes – yards manned)
20th to 26th June – Returned to Greenock and embarked Coastguard reservists
30th June – Arrived at Portland, Rendezvoused with the Channel Fleet and the Reserve Squadron; Admiral the Duke of Edinburgh (Superintendant of Reserves) embarked
12 July – sailed for exercises initially to Bantry Bay then to Vigo (1st to 5th August) before returning to British waters
11th August – Arrived back at Plymouth where the Admiral disembarked
14th August – Sailed for Greenock
18th August – Arrived at Greenock. Here she remained on station in the Clyde until April 1881
19th April – Left Greenock to return to Portsmouth 
23rd April – Arrived back at Portsmouth
On 1st May she officially exchanged stations with the Warrior (which was then guardship at Portland), officers & crew being transferred across; new captain appointed from the same date.

HMS Warrior 1st May 1881 to 2nd December 1882 

1st May 1881 Joined HMS Warrior
May 1881 – was spent at Portsmouth, refitting
1st May – Ship was commissioned by Captain Samuel Townsend 
28th May – Moved to Spithead and took in powder and shot
14th June – Joined the First Reserve Squadron in the Downs anchorage (off Deal) 
15th June – The squadron sailed for the annual Reserve exercises in the North Sea & Baltic
17th June – Off Helgoland
21st to 26th June – The Squadron visited to Copenhagen
2nd to 9th July – The Squadron visited Kronstadt (on the last day the ships were visited by the Czar & Czarina and a number of Russian royals; all ships manned yards and fired gun salutes; after spending an hour onboard the flagship (Hercules) the royal party left – again yards were manned and marine detachments drawn up and as the Imperial yacht passed each ship of the squadron, they each gave three cheers and saluted. As the yacht cleared the last ship, yards were cleared and ships weighed anchor, firing a gun salute as they got underway). 
14th to 18th July - The Squadron paid a visit to Kiel (when they arrived it was reported that “..each ship was surrounded by little steamboats crammed full of holidaymakers from the town...on approaching the fort at Friedrichsort the Warrior gave the signal for the salute and gun after gun was fired until our little steamers were enveloped in smoke...”
- On leaving Kiel they were accompanied out of the Baltic by the German training squadron
25th to 27th July – The Squadron visited Leith
29th July – The squadron arrived back at Spithead, here they were inspected by the Queen from the yacht Alberta, after which the Squadron disbanded and the ships dispersed.
2nd August to 22nd September – Warrior remained at Portsmouth undergoing defect rectifications
24th September – Sailed from Portsmouth for Plymouth
25th to 27th September – Spent in Plymouth Sound
2nd October – Arrived off Greenock to take up station as local guardship
She remained in the Clyde from October 1881 until April 1882
27th April 82 – Sailed from the Clyde to return to Portsmouth
1st May – Arrived at Portsmouth – during her passage she went through a strong gale, which carried away part of her bowsprit; she gave assistance to a Dutch brig which had been dismasted, towing her into harbour 
May to June – Undergoing a maintenance period at Portsmouth
14th June – At Portland where she joined the Reserve Squadron for annual exercises
15th June – The Squadron sailed from Portland
16th to 17th June – Was spent in Falmouth Bay
22nd to 24th June – Was spent in Arosa Bay, Spain
29th June to 7th July – Was spent by the squadron at Gibraltar
8th to 11th July – The squadron visited Cadiz
15th to 17th July – The squadron spent at Vigo
25th July – The squadron arrived back at Spithead, they then dispersed 
28th July – Warrior was in Plymouth Sound
31st July – She sailed for Scotland
August to December 1882 – Was spent on station in the Clyde

Pensioned to shore 3rd December 1882 (Pension traced 9th November 1882)

The following information comes from the Family Website.
Robert was employed as a Gatekeeper or timekeeper at the sugar refinery (Tate & Lyle?) Greenock: From Oct 1884 To 1886

Robert Jameson Sime was born on 2 Dec 1844 in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Scotland. He died on 28 Dec 1923 in Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland. He was buried in Greenock Crematorium, Renfrew, Scotland.
He was the Son of James SIME and Janet JAMIESON

He married Ellen Jane Tucker on 29 Dec 1864 in St Mary's Episcopal Church, Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland. She was born on 28 Dec 1846 in Anthony, St Germans, Cornwall. She died Sep 1914 in Greenock and was buried in Greenock Crematorium, Scotland)"]

More information ad photo. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tingewick/myownfamily/tm16.htm
Back to top Go down


Posts : 10058
Join date : 2009-04-07
Age : 64
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 Empty
PostSubject: Robert Jameson Sime , Sick Berth Steward HMS Himilaya   Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 am

R.J.Sime's unclasped ' Zulu War Medal ' and his Long Service Good Conduct Medal was sold on ebay 2008.
Starting Date 16 / 4 / 08 - Closed 26 / 4 / 08 , Opening Price 99 GBP'S - Closed 721 GBP'S . 369 Hits , 15 Bids .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Robert Jameson Sime. Sick Berth Steward 58114
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jump to: