Horsefixer the following is from ' Uniforms and weapons of the zulu war ' by Christopher Wilkinson - Latham.
'' The other ranks had two issue jackets , the dress tunic and the serge tunic or frock , both of which were worn during the zulu war . The dress tunic was of scarlet cloth , the brick red colour having been abolished in 1871 , and was fastened down the front by a single row of brass general service buttons bearing the Royal Coat Of Arms , numbered buttons having been discontinued for other ranks in 1874 . The collar was of a scarlet cloth but had a collar patch , pointed at the outer end , in the regimental facing colour , ornamented with a regimental pattern collar badge . The cuffs were decorated with a pointed half - panel of facing cloth edged in white tape , terminating at the point in a trefoil knot . The collar patch and the panel of facing cloth on the cuff weresewn into the tunic , the latter inside the white tape , so that if a battalion's strength had to be increased by taking volunteers from other regiments , as happened during the zulu campaign , the old facings could be easily removed and replaced by the new ones . The bottom edge of the collar and the leading edge of the tunic were piped in white . The shoulder straps were of scarlet cloth , edged in white tape , with the regimental number in brass or white metal at the shoulder seam . On the first pattern tunic there were two buttons at the rear , above the white piped pleated skirts , but shortly after the introduction of the Valise pattern equipment they were removed as the weight of the valise caused chafing in the small of the back .
The frock , worn in all orders of dress save for review order , was made of coarse unlined scarlet serge and fastened down the front with five general service buttons . The collar was of the regimental facing colour but the cuffs were plain scarlet ornamented with a single loop of white braid . The shoulder straps were the same as for the dress tunic ''.
Not sure if you want their description of the patrol jacket but I'll post it anyway .
'' The patrol jacket was introduced in 1866 .Made of dark blue cloth it was rounded in front and edged all round and up the openings at the sides with 1 inch black mohair braid . On each side in the front were four double drop loops of 1/4 inch flat plait , with eyes in the centre of each loop . The top row of loops reached to the sleeve seam and the bottom row 4'' long . The jacket fastened down the front with hooks and eyes and also had four netted olivets on the right side which fastened through loops on the left side . The cuffs were ornamented with an Austrian knot of flat plait , extending to 7 '' from the bottom of the cuff . Each back seam was ornamented with double flat plait with a crows foot knot at the top and bottom and two double eyes at equal distances '' . Hope this is of some help and isnt to confusing ! .