"On 17th August, 1878, Captain Harrison and Lieutenants Spring and Roche, with " B " company 1st battalion 24th, consisting of four sergeants, five corporals, two drummers, and seventy-four privates, marched from King William's Town to the mouth of St. John's, or Unuinvarboo, river, in Pondoland, where a settlement had been purchased from the Pondo chief, N'quaci. The British flag was hoisted there for the first time by Lieutenant-General the Honble. T. A. Thesiger, C.B., on the 24th August, 1878, and an earthwork, to which the name of Fort Harrison was given, was thrown up by the detachment. "B" (since " H ") company remained at St. John's river mouth throughout the period of the subsequent Zulu War."
Source:Full text of "Historical Records of the 24th Regiment, from Its Formation, in 1689"