WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Bar_leftmy first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Barmy first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Bar_leftmy first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Barmy first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Bar_right 
John Young
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Kenny
A Crockart
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric Whitlock

my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Empty
PostSubject: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Nov 23, 2018 10:14 pm

This is my first post hello everyone

I am going to Rorke's drift and the film set site for Zulu film near Tembele lodge in december

I will be in the battelfields area 6 - 8th December. Staying at Dundee. This will be my first time. What are the must sees? I have a rental car how much can I see on my own? If one has a reasonable knowledge of events or is a guided tour a must?

I want to take in Fugative's drift and wonder if Coghill and Melville's graves easy to find? I also want to take in Mangeni Falls where Lord Chelmsford camped. Anyone been there is it easy to find?

Is there much to see at the site of Cetshwayo's Kraal at Ulundi?

Can I fit all this in during 2 days i.e 6th and 7th.  I am staying at Tembele camp on night of 8th for some photos of where the film was shot.

Last edited by Eric Whitlock on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional question)
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 5:10 am

Theres a lot to fit in Eric.
Possible schedule:
Leave Dundee heading for Helpmakaar.
Take the  Nostrop Pass down to Rorkes Drift.
Bypass the drift and go straight through towards iSandlwana
Pass iSandlwana and drive out to the Mangeni Falls.

Theres one road to the falls, get back onto that dirt road and head out the opposite way you arrived. Keep bearing to the left and pass a deep valley where Chelmsford had breakfast.

The new road will take you over Silutshane and give you a great view back over the plain to iSandlwana. On the plain directly as you leave the hills is the area Lt Browne came close to bumping into the impi.
Turn left onto the main road and drive a short distance, there is a cross road, go straight over. Look to your left, that's the Qwabe valley where Durnford rode along.

Just past there is the turn to the left towards iSandlwana, it is sign posted. Pull over the small concrete bridge. Park there and look at the hill behind you, thats Mabaso, the other side of it is the Ngwebini valley. The stream next to you is the upper Ngwebini.

The rise in front of you is the theoretical hill that hid the impi in TMFHT. to your extreme right is point X. The alternate theory on the discovery of the impi took place in the 'bowl.

Carry on driving and you will eventually see a ridge in front with iSandlwana peeping over the top. this whole area you have driven across, the plateau, is the area Raw retreated along in front of the impi. Carry on this road and it winds down through the Notch Keep to the left around the conical copie, Scotts original post, and follow the signs towards the Clinic. As you reach the clinic and the small stone/concrete bridge, that's Durnfords Donga. Go back the way you came branching of to the left and it will take you into the iSandlwana village. Look for the information centre to your right and go and see the small museum and buy a ticket.
Buy a self guided pamphlet and explore the battle field.

When your finished exit through the gates and turn left, follow the signs to RD. As you go over the Bashe stream climb the hill and park up. look backwards. On your left is the hill range and at its base was Kwa Sohexe , Sihayos Kraal.

Carry on driving and you will cross the Buffalo River. stop just before the bridge.

The Drift is two hundred metres to your left and the deep water pool where Chard had his camp is to the right. The hill above Chards camp is the site of fort Melville

Carry on to RD.

RD closes at 4 so you may not make it. If so then start here on your next day.

When you leave RD turn left around Shiyane, the hill, and head to Fugitives Drift Lodge. M and C's grave and Fugitives Drift itself are on the property. The gate man will let you in if you tell him where your going.

A good way to spend the rest of your day would be at the Talana Museum, well worth the visit.

If you still have time then get local directions to the Prince Imperials grave.

Let me know where I can send the bill for the guided tour Joker Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eric Whitlock

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:14 am

Thank You so much Frank for your Help with some tour tips. I will follow your directions to the letter since it is obvious you know the area well. I have always been fascinated by the film Zulu since childhood even though it isn't all exactly what happened.

I started reading more about Isandlwana and Rorke's drift and after finding out a great aunt of my mother married one of Corporal William Allen's sons. Your directions will make it all come to life and I am very grateful. I live in Pontypool, Wales and I have visited the grave close to my home of an artillery man who fought at rorkes drift and of course William Allen VC and john Fielding VC who are also buried near my home. I still have a lot to learn I am sure.

Is coffin Rock also easy to spot from Melville and Coggin's graves?

I am thinking of staying on for an extra day to visit the recreation of King King Chetsayo's Kraal and the battlefield at Ulundi and ideally I would like to also pay my respects at King Chetsayo's grave but I cant see clear direction to it on any maps. I am not sure how safe it would me for a white foreigner driving alone to try and find it by himself. Having never been to south Africa before I am not sure if I would be welcomed or be putting myself in danger in the small Zulu villages on the dirt roads. I believe his grave is in Nkandla Forest Reserve.

I am also hoping later in the trip to visit Commissary Dalton's grave at Port Elizabeth when down near Mossel bay but I think distances on a map are a bit deceiving. It doesn't look too but Google earth suggests it's a 10 hour round trip.

I wonder if you or anyone else on the forum have ever done any of these things?

warm regard and thanks again

Eric Whitlock

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 am

Morning Eric
As a first tip, make sure you have a car with decent ground clearance, SUV etc.
As your last question first, there are a number of members that have visited the battlefields and done what you are intending.
90th, Gary, visits every year, I go there fairly often.
There are no problems about driving around Zululand on your own, just don't be silly and take risks you wouldn't in your own country.
Coffin rock is, depending on who you read, a bit of a myth. When you get to the MC graves you look down over the hill onto the drift. There are many many rocks that would fit the bill. When Hurricane Domoina hit the area in the 80's it moved the river bed around a lot.
The battlefield, or rather the monument and position of the square at Ulundi is easy to locate as is Cetswayos kraal. If you do have an extra day consider looking at Khambula battlefield. A must see is the Prince imperials grave, its very easy access from Nqutu, near iSandlwana. Plan your trip carefully. There is a lot to see in the area. See if you can get hold of one of the Battlefield guide book: Ken Gillings is brilliant, David Rattrays, Nikki Von der Heyde, there all freely available. GBP 10 to 20.

Mossel Bay is a fare drive, 8 hours round trip, from PE. Good roads but a long haul.

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Eric Whitlock

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for all this. I am aware that a grandson of Napoleon was killed in the Zulu war but it not something I have researched so I am not aware of the circumstances that took him to South Africa. I will endeavour to visit his grave too and possibly a quick visit to the blood river battle site because I just read about Piet Retrief and the Voortrekers in my lonely planet guide book. It is not a part of history that I am well acquainted with but it seems that the bronze replicas of the covered wagons in Laarger are just a couple of miles from my hotel. It would seem impolite to be be visiting your country with out seeing this significant site. I must say I am very obliged that you have kindly shared all this with me. It's a shame we cant meet up for a beer. I am not sure that I will ever have the opportunity to visit a second time but it is all so interesting it certainly warrants more than one visit. My brother is getting interested now so who knows before we both get too old to do all the walking I might return one day with him. Many thanks again for your kidness in sharing. Eric Whitlock
Back to top Go down
Eric Whitlock

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Actually I see you are in cape town. I am staying there on the 13th and 22nd dec so I can buy you a beer if you are around and let you know how I got on following your directions. I have read that a soldier from the battle at Rorkes drift is buried in Cape town. Did they ever find his unmarked grave?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyMon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 am

hi Eric
There are three ex AZW burials in Cape Town, that I know of.
Color Sgnt George Mabin of Rorkes Drift. Put his name in the search box and his grave will pop up.
1/24th Private Bickley of iSandlwana. His memorial plaque is on the site of the St Peters Cemetary in Salt River
JH Mayor was in the hospital at Rorkes Drift. In the search box type The 'other' fighting clerk. He has an unmarked Grave.

The Prince Imperials death was a 'catastrophic' event. His grave is well worth the visit. Again search this site for information, theres a lot of it.
Blood river is probably one of the most imposing memorials in South Africa. Its probably well described as the spiritual home of the Afrikaans population, again well worth a visit.

I would repeat from an earlier post eric, buy one of the recommended guide books to get the full experience of the area.
Im out of Cape Town on the 13th December but will be back for the 22nd, happy to meet up for a beer. Let me know where your staying.
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyMon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Eric,

While you are in Cape Town - visit:
1. The Castle where the Zulu king was held captive.
2. Maitland Military Cemetery where there is a memorial and graves of 1/24th soldiers and families before the AZW.
3. Bloubergstrand where 1/24th landed in January 1806 to help capture the Cape from the Dutch.

If possible you must go to Cape Point.
Back to top Go down
Eric Whitlock

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyWed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi Frank

I am at the protea Hotel Victoria Junction Waterfront corner of ebenezer and somerset road. I am planning to watch football in the nearby stadium on 22nd 17.00 to 19.00 I am free outside those times and all day 23rd I fly home at midnight. So happy to buy you that pint I owe you and get to know a bit more about the Cape town area. My grandfather called in there with the Gloucestershire regiment in 1917 on his way to India but not sure where the ship would have docked. I know he was there for a few days. On the 21st I am planning to explore the cape of good hope and cape point but have not booked a hotel for night of 21st since I am not sure where I will exactly end up in the park by early evening. I will have a rental car so hopefully I will get around the entire cape point area and back to cape town by night fall. I just read that the prince imperial is buried at Farnborough in the UK but the memorial you suggested visiting is the point where he was killed and where his mother visited presumably before his body was brought back to the UK. It's probably best to use my direct email until I know the number of my SIM in south Africa. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Warm regards

eric
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips   my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyThu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 am

Hi Eric. The 23rd sounds like a good idea. As your travelling around a great old fashioned historical pub like the Alphen in Constantia sounds good.
Victoria junction is in a perfect position for you to walk to the stadium. Just be careful of the local nightclubs, they are 'alternate'. The game on is Cape Town City against Bloemfontain Celtic, if you know your Manchester United football history you will recognise the CT City managers name of Benni Macarthy.
I will e mail closer to the time, to set up a meet.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: My First Post and the site for zulu film any tips    my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 3:08 am

From memory Mabin the ' Fighting Clerk ' , who fought at RD is buried in the Maitland Cemetery in Capetown ? , Mabin earnt his nickname by being present at Laings Neck , Ingogo and was next to Colley when he was shot and killed at Majuba during the first Transvaal War 1880- 81 .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down

my first post.I am going to Rorke's drift and the site for Zulu film any tips
Page 1 of 1