WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Film. Chard: The army doesn’t like more than one disaster in a day.Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» New Book on AW Durnford
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyToday at 10:37 pm by krish

» Photo of 6th Dragoons Mess Tent, Eshowe -- help identifying?
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyToday at 6:51 pm by John Young

» Notes on England's Sons 8th Edition Pte Wyer/Hudd
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyToday at 2:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private James Chick
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 pm by Bill8183

» 2nd Corpl W.COCKELL, A.S.Corps Medal
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm by 1879graves

» 2nd Lt David Dickson. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 pm by John

» Royal Engineers at Isandhlwana
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 10:37 pm by rusteze

» Lieutenant Edward Fenwick Brackenbury, Royal Artillery
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 pm by John Young

» The Natal Carbineers pass into History
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm by Frank Allewell

» Rorkes Drift Battle Relics
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 4:17 pm by SRB1965

» Medals to the Natal Mounted Police
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 pm by Victorian Dad

» Zulu Statements
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 12:54 pm by ADMIN

» Adding to the Library
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 2:17 pm by rusteze

» Victorian Technology
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 am by Richie

» Map wanted
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 12:32 pm by John Young

Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff: 2/60th KRRC-Zungwini,Hlobane, Khambula, Ulundi
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver BullerBrev.[Mac and Shad] (Isandula Collection)
Anglo-Zulu war: Walking the battlefield of Kambula
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Bar_leftBrig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver BarBrig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Bar_leftBrig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver BarBrig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
impi
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
John Young
SRB1965
cattailrun
Frank Allewell
rusteze
1879graves
90th
Bill8183
Blackdog67
krish
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TonyM

Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Empty
PostSubject: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 pm

I've been caretaker of this fine example of the Pryse pattern revolver for a few years.

It was retailed by J. Rigby and Company 72 St. Jams st. London in February 1879 (no specific date in Feb recorded in Rigby's records) He also purchased a holster at the same time. The holster has been lost to time or moth.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

At some point either He, or someone else had some significant dates and campaigns that he participated in engraved on the revolver's front strap.

My research into the man shows that he was quite an impressive gentleman who had a long and storied military career.

I would love to learn more about him and his military service. I know that in 1887 he published his diary from the "Zulu war" and "Nile campaign" but it seems that the publication was quite limited, and I have been unable to find a copy either for sale, or even to read.
Back to top Go down
rai

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am

Brig-Gen Sir Robert Wolrige Gordon 8th of Craigmillar and 13th of Liberton 1st Baronet,b.27 feb 1857- d.24 june 1939 at Liberton. F. Henry Perkins Wolrige + Ann Wolrige Gordon 7th of Esslemont and 18th of Hallhead, Robert married Lady Susan Lygon d of Frederick Lygon 6th Earl Beauchamp on 19th Oct 1889.changed his name on 8 july 1864 to Robert Gordon Wolrige Gordon, and changed again 17th March 1873 to Robert Gordon Gordon Wolrige, served in the 94th Regt during Zulu war, also served Gordon relief 84-85, boer war 1900 receiving a DSO,and WW1, became Colonel of the Grenidier Guards. Created 1st Baronet Gilmour of Criagmillar on 29th July 1926, had 4 Children three daughters and a son Lt-Col Sir John Little Gilmour of Criagmillar 2nd Bt,1899-1977. The present 4th Bt David Robert was b.14 Nov 1952. source Peerage.com
Back to top Go down
rai

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 am

Robert was Grand Master of Grand Lodge of Scotland 1916-1920, received OBE in 1902. Educated at Eton and Christchurch Oxford. Entered Army in 1878 Grenadier Guards, attached to the 94th during Zulu War, recieved DSO 29 Nov 1900, in London Gazette 27 Sept 1901 No.27359 page 6310. There is a picture in later life on the National Galleries of Scotland website.
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 am

Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
Isandula

Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I have his personal copy of Mac and Shad, his Zulu and Nile Campaign book, and once had his sword with Ulundi engraved on it. I think i have a repo photo of him. Isandula
Back to top Go down
TonyM

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks for the Replies!

I had read most of what was on this forum about him.

Isandula, you have a copy of the book he wrote about the Zulu war and Nile Campaign? Would it be forward of me to ask if there was a way to photograph the pages for me? if I'm out of line, I certainly understand. I would just love to read his account.
Back to top Go down
Isandula

Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi TonyM, So sorry I can't do this as I'm afraid I would damage the integrity of this very old publication by stretching it out on the scanner and copying page after page. In 40 years of collecting, it is the only one I have ever run across--so certainly a limited and private publication.
Back to top Go down
TonyM

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 2:14 am

I certainly understand, and thank you for the consideration.

I've had my eye out for a copy for some time, but as you said, there aren't a lot of them out there.
Back to top Go down
Isandula

Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi TonyM,  Sending a few scans of the book, "Journal of Robert G. Wolridge Gordon During the Zulu Campaign of 1879."  It was privately printed in leather with gold edges all around.  First, Wolridge Gordon's dedication to Mary and signed by him in 1894.  Secondly, the title of this section, and thirdly, the first page of the text.
Back to top Go down
TonyM

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you so much! That's wonderful.

I assume this is the copy that sold at auction a while back? I believe the auction mentioned a dedication to Mary. Sadly I only became aware of it after the auction had ended.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 1:47 pm

That's great Ron. Can we have a picture of the binding please?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Isandula

Isandula

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Thin volume 6 1/2" x 8" leather with gold edges
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks Ron, I do like a nice binding.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver   Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver Empty

Back to top Go down

Brig. Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour's Revolver
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: BRITISH / COLONIAL UNIFORMS. WEAPONS.-
Jump to: