WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 29 Apr 2024 - 12:20 by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 27 Apr 2024 - 1:46 by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 26 Apr 2024 - 20:48 by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024 - 9:36 by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024 - 19:10 by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 14:16 by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 11:28 by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 9:26 by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 7:04 by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 14 Apr 2024 - 20:12 by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:49 by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024 - 16:52 by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 9 Apr 2024 - 17:20 by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 7 Apr 2024 - 17:44 by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 7 Apr 2024 - 15:11 by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 7 Apr 2024 - 10:50 by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 6 Apr 2024 - 17:10 by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyWed 3 Apr 2024 - 17:17 by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 1 Apr 2024 - 11:16 by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 30 Mar 2024 - 12:09 by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 30 Mar 2024 - 10:35 by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 29 Mar 2024 - 13:07 by Bongo

» Writing advice
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 26 Mar 2024 - 14:26 by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyWed 20 Mar 2024 - 12:53 by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 19 Mar 2024 - 16:52 by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 19 Mar 2024 - 14:20 by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 16 Mar 2024 - 14:34 by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 16 Mar 2024 - 11:05 by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 15 Mar 2024 - 9:08 by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024 - 23:05 by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024 - 21:16 by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyWed 6 Mar 2024 - 21:16 by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 3 Mar 2024 - 19:08 by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyThu 29 Feb 2024 - 12:53 by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyThu 29 Feb 2024 - 8:39 by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
No user
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024 - 15:26 by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 0:38 by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 7:04 by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyThu 18 Apr 2024 - 15:04 by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 16 Apr 2024 - 17:28 by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 14 Apr 2024 - 20:01 by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyThu 11 Apr 2024 - 20:51 by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 7 Apr 2024 - 21:36 by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 30 Mar 2024 - 11:47 by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

The battlefield revisited. An interesting report

Go down 
+2
John Young
gardner1879
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gardner1879

gardner1879

The battlefield revisited. An interesting report Empty
PostSubject: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 20 Dec 2021 - 17:54

One for Frank when he returns from playing at Rider Haggard.
Naval and Military Gazette and Weekly Chronicle of the United Services Wednesday 23rd July 1879:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seems to suggest most fell on the other side of the nek including Durnford. scratch  
Interesting for me though seeing Alan referred to as a Colonel and listed with Melvill, Coghill, Chard and Bromhead as a  V.C. recipient as late as July 1879. Oh what could/should have been. Rolling Eyes

Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 20 Dec 2021 - 18:51

In light of the above couldn't resist this:-

Kate  Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021 - 1:58

Kate,

Time to call on the optician, I cannot see where Alan Gardiner [sic] is ranked as a Colonel in the first article?

I do find the misspelling interesting though given Admiral Alan Francis Gardiner’s association with Natal and Zululand.

JY

Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021 - 9:53

Thanks Frank for spotting that.Salute
Eye sight is fine technology skills deficient.

Missed off the second page of the scan from the first post this should have been tagged on the
bottom from the Aberdeen Press and Journal 17th march 1879.

Kate Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021 - 10:51

Who the Hell is Frank? Go and change those spec’s now!

JY
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 21 Dec 2021 - 11:09

*sigh* Rolling Eyes
Nothing wrong with my eyesight
Frank is the chap who works at the post office sorting depot.

Kate Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyTue 28 Dec 2021 - 12:58

Another suspect report then from long ago designed inadvertently to confuse and mislead the modern researcher.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 1 Jan 2022 - 16:59

Indeed Julian. The Durnford death site is clearly wrong as we now know.
Though I wonder if, in amongst the inaccuracies, there may be a vein of truth running through the rest of the report in relation to bodies of men attempting to fight their way back to RD and falling in that area.
I thought the report may have been of interest to Frank as I know he has looked at the area for possible last stands and subsequent cairns.
When I walked from RD to the camp a few years ago I trudged up that slope  between the river and the nek,  (I was bloomin' knackered) there are some strange, mysterious piles of non-white washed rocks all the way up. I will see if I can dig out my photos of them.
Naturally the second newspaper report I posted up above is completely true Wink
A very Happy New Year to you
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySat 1 Jan 2022 - 17:36

I think that then it was rather like today. A newspaper reporter would flesh out the facts he was sure of with assumptions and rumour in order to make for a good story. Thus many of the early reports are exactly what you describe - a mixture of truth and fiction. It's up to modern researchers to remember that these are newspaper stories, not history, and we should regard them in the same way as we might read the Daily Mail or any other similar paper today.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 2 Jan 2022 - 9:13

I would agree Kate, Ive prowled that whole area and do believe that there are some cairn possibilities, along with the remnants of a kraal that is visible from Shiyane. The last time I did that walk was with Ronald and Niks last year.
Against that of course is the historical fact that the whole area was a system of mealie fields and its highly possible that in clearing the fields of stones they would have been piled up at the edges of those fields.
The interesting thing about Durnford is that I have a sketch drawn from the western side of the hill that has an 'X' marks the spot for Durnfords grave that is on the side of the hill way of to the north.
In my western slopes essay I do postulate the theory of a fighting retreat down that slope. Locating those 6 new cairns along the upper stream would tend to point towards a stand of significance.

Frank aka Ryder Haggard
Back to top Go down
Tellgryn

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 23 Jan 2022 - 11:18

I think, that Dunford and the men around him maybe on the other side of the nek. This is due to the Zulu account of the British firing to clear a lane for those trying to escape the battlefield.

In that account the two horns had met up and closed the gap, then British troops fired to open a gap. The gap allowed many to try to get away.

I wish I had all the Zulu accounts of the battle; I only have bits and pieces from the odd books with some of the accounts.

I have noticed many authors are confusing the accounts of fighting Younghusband's men and the fight against Dunford's group last stand.

I do think it is Dunford's group firing to clear the lane for those escaping.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptySun 23 Jan 2022 - 12:26

Tellgryn
Can't agree I'm afraid about Durnford. British troops certainly might have fired to 'clear a gap' from their position on the nek but the Durnford group were too far down the eastern slope to have done that - indeed they would have been firing into their own men from there.
The location of the Durnford group is well-attested by those who found the bodies and buried them.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: The battlefield revisited .    The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 24 Jan 2022 - 3:16

Tellgryn
It's well and truly documented that Durnford and those with him perished on the Eastern side of Isandlwana mtn , there's no evidence whatsoever placing them on the Nek , or the western side of the mountain , as Julian mentioned it's well attested by those who found the bodies , and actually buried them near where they fell , not 200 or 300 hundred or more yards/ metres away where the nek is situated .
90th
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 24 Jan 2022 - 11:54

Tellgryn
In fact, you're almost right. The key is in the wording 'British troops'. There were a group of British troops where you place them who fired to clear a path.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The battlefield revisited. An interesting report   The battlefield revisited. An interesting report EmptyMon 24 Jan 2022 - 14:23

Tellgryn
Read Jackson's Hill of the Sphinx page 46 for these references.
Back to top Go down

The battlefield revisited. An interesting report
Page 1 of 1