WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
The brother of Even Jones EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
The brother of Even Jones EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
The brother of Even Jones EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
The brother of Even Jones EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
The brother of Even Jones EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
The brother of Even Jones EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
The brother of Even Jones EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
No user
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The brother of Even Jones EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The brother of Even Jones EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

The brother of Even Jones

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eddie

The brother of Even Jones Empty
PostSubject: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 2:16 am

All.

Do we know who the brother of Evans Jones was.
In a newspaper article Evans states he also has a brother who served 36 years in the forces, but no regiment is mentioned.
Do we know if Evans brother was in the same regiment, and one of the Jones defenders at Rorke's Drift.

Were any other Jones defender born in Welshpool or enlist at the same location, or have ancestry links?

If not, do we know if he served in the Zulu war in any other regiment.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 6:23 pm

Admin, can I ask why my post and enquiry has been removed from the rolling latest topics screen? Having posted it much later than most that appear.
May it be that someone is working on this subject.?
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 6:38 pm

Perhaps the brother served under the family name - Cosgrove?

You have a choice to search: Batholomew, William, John and James
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Thank you Kenny.

Are you saying that Evan Jones was not his real name, or that the brother chose another branch name?
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 8:58 pm

Evan Jones, RD defender, real name was Patrick Cosgrove.
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 9:33 pm

Thank you Kenny.
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 9:38 pm

Kenny, that's seems odd considering a number of different newspaper articles are naming him as such. He must have been using that name himself over forty years after RD.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 10:55 pm

Eddie,

What about John Williams V.C.? He also served under an assumed name for a number of years.

JY
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 11:40 pm

John.

Yes John served under an alias, but on leaving the army he  reverted to his real name. 
I'm saying that the name Evan Jones was still being used over forty years after RD according to this article. I have read that his alias was Patrick Cosgrove, that his real name is Jones.??
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 11:47 pm

John/Kenny

Evans Jones real name is Jones, even his grandson at his rededication is named Jones, I think you may be mistaken.
His rededication photos are on the site.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Eddie,

Yet John Fielding retained his alias throughout his militia service into 1890’s and again used it when he returned to the Colours for the Great War.

JY
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySat Sep 17, 2022 11:55 pm

Thank you John.

With respect, I was referring to Evan Jones, his real name was Jones, his family are named Jones, Cosgrove I believe was his alias.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 12:09 am

Eddie,

Just trying to prove something to you.

I think you can believe Kenny’s findings as being correct given the amount research he has done on the 24th Regiment.

It is not unusual for families to retain the assumed name.

JY
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 1:23 am

John.

Come to think of it, I recall Julian saying his ancestors name was changed and kept. I'm sure Kenny would know. Isn't that strange.
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 am

It is so easy to view the past through modern eyes with today's mountain of beaucary and technology. Remember the man in street in Victorian times did not pay tax, the few official documents were handwritten, mistakes ocurred, in subsquently time transcription errors often crepted in. There was freedom as to how people wished to be named. Some at least 10% soldiers in Victorian times served under an assumed name or altered name. My own grandfather enlisted in 1893 and served in the ABW and WW1 - the recruiting sergeant got his name wrong - this error is the family name today. There has been no official change of name. We continue to respect the recruiting sergeant's error.

It does seem to me strange that with all these recent posts of newspaper articles about AZW veterans. Easy to do - search 'Zulu' - no hard research - let technology do the work. We seem to have learnt very little new about the courageous soldiers who took part in the AZW. There would be few members of this forum who would be able to march up, in the heat of the sun, from PMB to the battlefields today.

Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am

Thank you Kenny that's all seems logical.

I see you are a local man. Can I ask did you attend the rededication to Evan Jones? 
The reason I ask is it was an ideal opportunity to talk to his grandson about family ties to the regiment, assuming he knew his great uncle also completed 36 years with the colours somewhere, maybe AZW.
I noticed that both Evan and his brother were town or county trumpeters, perhaps a link to his regiment lie in that area of research. It would be quite a story if both were there together at RD, obviously he also having used an alias, as there was no Cosgrove as we know.
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 am

Hi Kenny/All.

I am in touch with Gareth Watkins, he was at the rededication for Evans Jones, Evan being his Great uncle.
We know through a newspaper article that Evans brother also served 36 years with the colours, but it doesn't specify which brother or regiment.
Kenny you mentioned four Cosgrove's that served in the war, Batholomew, William, John, James.
I can confirm that Evan Jones/Cosgrove born 1853 Nantyglo had a brother Batholomew Cosgrove born Apr 1854 Nantyglo and a brother John Cosgrove born 1857-1917 Nantyglo.
Their parents were John Cosgrove born 1824-1883 Adar Limerick Ireland, and Tabitha Evans 1829-1882, married 8th Nov 1852 at Blaina, Monmouthshire, St Wales.
Their parents had 7 children, so far Gareth has identified  the three brothers mentioned. William and James mentioned in an above post may also be brothers, we don't know at present.
Gareth has identified John Cosgrove as his great grandfather and through me has requested any further information that may come to light about the service details of the brothers. 

Many thanks Eddie

Last edited by Eddie on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add text)
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 7:51 pm

Hi Kenny

I understand now that you were implying that the four named, Batholomew, William, John, and James, were the actual brothers of Evan. 
Gareth has sent me more information, John 1857-1927, his wifes first name was Margaret 1859-1933.
Once again any information on where they may have served would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Sep 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi Kate/John.

I wonder if you can help me on the above post. I have an updated list of Evans siblings. Gareth is interested to find out if any of Evans brothers also served in the Zulu war, in particular his great grandfather John 1857-1917. Gareth having been at the rededication of his great uncle Evan in August.

Evan 1853-1931
Batholomew 1854-
William 1855-1909
John 1857-1917 /Gareth's great grandfather
Eliza 1860
Charles 1864-.    To young/ unless drummer boy- joined RA 1885. This probably the brother mentioned in the newspaper article.
James 1869-1917 To young.

I had been conferring with Kenny but I don't know if he had missed my resent post or not.

Cheers Eddie

Last edited by Eddie on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Sep 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Ultimately there was no Patrick Cosgrove in the 24th. There was an Evan Jones. It is Evan Jones that is the alias assumed for the military.
Back to top Go down
Eddie

PostSubject: Re: The brother of Even Jones   The brother of Even Jones EmptyFri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Thank you Julian.

Evan Jones/Cosgrove is well known defender, as mentioned above. 
The request from Gareth is, did any of his brothers-Cosgrove, listed, serve in any regiment in the war, not just 24th.
It is known one of the brothers also served 36 years in the colours, as it was mentioned in Evan's newspaper article.
In particular he is interested in his great grandfather John, as mentioned.

Eddie
Back to top Go down

The brother of Even Jones
Page 1 of 1