WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave

PostSubject: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 am

I came across this onanother forum, the post was posted back in 2008.
However the writer states he felt an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. Can anyone who has visited the battlefield relate to this?

“A few years ago I visited Isandlwana with my son. Entering the battlefield I felt a strange overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. Immediately on my right was a white painted cairn of a soldier who died where he stood, further along were memorials to those who were killed. Scattered all over the battlefield were more and more white painted cairns, many along what is today called “The Fugitives Trail” On a small plateau on the mountain is a larger cairn where Captain Younghusband died with his troops. Examining the memorials with various names and ages was a young boy aged 19 from Pietermaritzburg. I looked at my son who was then the same age.”
Back to top Go down
Neil Aspinshaw

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Tue May 04, 2010 1:29 pm

I published a small ditty on the RDVC website some years ago,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

says it all, and no, after visiting the place every year since 2003 it doesn't change its aura.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martinihenry.org
RobOats

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Tue May 04, 2010 5:31 pm

I visited the battlefield in 1982 for the first time to remember my gr-uncle, Bugler Fred Jackson, who was killed there with the Natal Carbineers. Aged just 16, which he celebrated the previous month.

At that time the only access was via Dundee and Nqutu on dirt roads. It was the most depressing place I have ever visited. The place has a pall of sadness over it. The unerving aspect is that on both my visits the only sound has been the sound of the gentle hush of wind in the grass. There are no birds, no animals and none of the normal sounds of the African veld.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oats.org.uk/gen
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Quote :
They say that about the concentration camps used during WW2

There are no birds
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for your replies. But would members recommend a visit. I don't think i would like to leave feeling depressed, as i'm so interested in this subject.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Dave
Yes yes and yes again.
Ive just returned from a visit to the battlefields, I have in fact visited on numerous occasions. And as other regular visitors will tell you there are a lot of feelings aroused by being there.
Feelings of hoplesness are not part of those reactions.
Amazement, a touch of sadness, yes. Go there feel it, feel the silence, the sense of solitude, the sense that your standing on a testament to some very brave men.
Regards
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Thu May 06, 2010 8:20 am

Well said Springbok. Great photo's but the way.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am

Dave/Old Historian

Im just seen the post comparing it to the old concentration camps in Germany. I was stationed on a camp next to Belsen for a number of years so know the feeling you refer to. But no it isnt that heavy oppresive feeling at all, and yes there are animals wandering around, in fact last week my son was trying to entice a couple of small calves who were wandering in the area.
The site is effectivly a mass grave so it is given the respect due to that situation .
The adjacent village is some distance from the saddle, most visitors go straight there, so ambient noise doesnt travel.
On the Fugitives trail there are small animals flitting around, though seldom seen. At Fugitives drift the atmosphere is of total tranquility, the sounds of the river rushing over the rapids and the local herds.
Regards
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: feelings of hopelessness   Thu May 06, 2010 2:47 pm

hi Dave .
I havent yet been to Isandlwana but I would think it would be a place where one would have to experience the
feelings it would conjour by actually standing there and taking it all in. I certainly wouldnt put off going for the reason
you may feel depressed , if you are thinking of going " do it ". As you have a profound interest in this battle , along
with many others on this forum , I dont think depression will be one of the feelings you will encounter . You may come
out with relief , that you have finally been there and been able to walk places you have only read about. If I had plans
of going there , in my mind it wouldnt come quick enough . Idea . Hope this makes sense ! Wink
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 pm

I think it would depend on the frame of mind you were in. You good with the thought of standing where brave men fought shoulder to shoulder until they fell.

Or with the thought of where an awful slaughter took place. Maybe those of us who are interested in the Zulu War would not be as affected as someone who’s know nothing about the History of the Battle but only hang on to what they are told during their visit by the tour guilds. I don’t think I would be depressed more excited, knowing I was going to a place where those we discuss fought and died together. Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.   

Back to top Go down

Overwhelming feeling of hopelessness.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: